ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Edmonton, AB
Reports to: Supervisor, Sample Prep
Shift: Tuesday to Saturday from 3:00pm-11:00pm
About the Position
This position will be responsible for preparing client samples for extraction and analysis, and maintaining a clean and safe work environment.
- Preparation, subsampling and extraction of samples of various matrices (including but not limited to soil, water, product, plant and animal tissue, etc.);
- Generating worklists and organizing work to ensure that samples are processed in timely fashion, with particular attention to hold times, file due dates and priority samples;
- Operation and maintenance of basic laboratory equipment, such as ovens, centrifuges, water purification systems, stir plates, shakers, etc;
- Basic lab duties such as cleaning glassware, reagent preparation, carrying samples for processing and for disposal, garbage and waste disposal, and other duties as assigned by team lead, supervisor or manager;
- Preparation of sample extracts and QC sample and standards, including dilutions, internal standard addition, etc;
- Knowledge of and adherence to all safety policies;
- Knowledge of and adherence to quality assurance and control policies;
- Some overtime/on-call coverage may be required;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs./23 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for a full shift;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
- [If applicable] Non-smoker as the position requires preparation of bottles used for low level trace analyses.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required.
You would also be:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should send apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 26, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – Sample Prep (LA2) | Job ID 2013ED09 - ED” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 12 months ago