ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future. ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Analyst (AN3)
Trace Organics –GCMS Analyst
Location: ALS Environmental – Vancouver, BC
Reports to: Organics Instrumentation Supervisor
Shift: Graveyard – Monday to Friday (11pm-7am)
About the Position
Working as part of the GCMS semi-volatiles team, the laboratory analyst is responsible for a
variety of lab and analytical tasks in the Trace Organics department. You will use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality and safe laboratory practices are in accordance with the ALS Health and Safety Program.
- Work-scheduling for a particular instrument or analytical method – includes ability to prioritize multiple methods, meet departmental due dates, etc;
- Calculation and data-entry for GCMS methods;
- Application of quality criteria to data set interpretation and trouble-shooting;
- Extractions in the lab, as needed;
- Routine instrument maintenance;
- Trouble-shooting of minor instrument problems;
- Document administration and technical writing;
- Peer review of team member’s work;
- Standard preparation;
- Investigation of client initiated rechecks and completion of appropriate documentation;
- Training of (and general information resource for) team members;
- Communication with team-members or Supervisor regarding all above functions;
- Comply with all responsibilities and requirements defined in the company’s Policies and Procedures Manual and Quality Manual;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to stand or sit for a full shift;
- Able to lift up to 30lbs.
The ideal candidate would have:
- B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry, or related discipline is required;
- 2 to 3 years’ experience working in an analytical laboratory is an asset. Preference will be given to those with previous organic extraction experience;
- Previous experience using a gas chromatograph is required. Preference will be given to those with previous experience with MS analysis;
You would also be:
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal;
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than May 3, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – AN3 Casual– Job ID 2013EV11 - EV” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.