ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Analyst (AN1)
Special Chemistries – Organics Team
Location: ALS Environmental – Centre of Excellence - Edmonton, AB
Reports to: Organics Team Lead
Shift: 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday through Friday
About the Position
You will be responsible for a variety of lab and analytical tasks in the Organics department, including maintaining a clean and safe work environment.
- Sample preparation as required;
- Retrieve samples from storage and working in a freezer at less than -10° Celsius;
- Measure sample mass/volume, add surrogates, perform extractions using common laboratory solvents;
- Fill out documentation completely and accurately;
- Operate simple lab equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, balances, etc.;
- Operate advanced lab equipment such as GC, HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS
- Prepare analytical standards and lab reagents;
- Adhere to strict QA/QC, GLP and ISO 17025 requirements;
- Prepare calibration and quality control standards, duplicates and spike samples within the batches;
- Organize workload to meet Turn Around Times (TAT’s) and hold times;
- Related computer use, data spreadsheets, Excel and Word;
- Follow the Standard Operating procedure (SOP) requirements, deviations must be approved by Supervisor or Manager;
- Must be available for overtime work on evenings and weekends;
- Ensure adherence to all procedures and policies (safety, quality, employment and technical);
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for a full shift;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry, or related discipline is required;
- 2 years’ experience in an analytical laboratory or related field experience an asset;
- Experience with GC/MS, LC/MS, GC/HRMS instrumentation is an asset.
You would also be:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Intermediate user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), with confident computer skills;
- Organized, analytical, and process oriented;
- High attention to detail;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Ability to handle pressure from high sample volumes and competing turnaround times;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than May 3, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV-AN1 | Job ID 2013EX04 - Center of Excellence” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 18 months ago