ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Analyst (AN1)
Location: ALS Environmental, Edmonton
Reports to: Inorganics Supervisor
Shift: Saturday through Wednesday
Monday to Wednesday 10:00 am-6:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm
Some on-call or overtime coverage may be required
About the Position
The Laboratory Analyst will work independently and as part of a team to accomplish a variety of lab tasks, including analyses, lab maintenance, and generating data.
- Prepare samples, reagents, standards, and reference materials for analysis;
- Analyze samples of different matrices using laboratory instrumentation to generate accurate results for clients;
- Complete data processing activities (i.e. data entry into LIMS, calculations, evaluation etc.) and all required documentation;
- Perform instrument/equipment calibration, troubleshooting, maintenance, and/or repairs as required;
- Work with Account Managers to deliver accurate results and updates to our clients in a timely manner;
- Perform technical decision making for non-routine, complex analyses or matrices;
- Organize workload to meet Turn Around Times (TAT);
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and adhere to strict QA/QC requirements;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for a full shift;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or a related discipline (required);
- Previous experience with wet chemistry, water sample preparations, digestions, titrations etc. (asset);
- Previous experience with Ion Chromatography, colorimetry, etc. (asset).
You would also have:
- Good English communication skills (auditory, verbal, written, and reading) as required;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) at an intermediate level;
- Confident computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Analytical and process oriented skills with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than September 22, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENVR – AN1 | Job ID 2013ED39 - ED” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.