ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Analyst (LA1 to LA2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Saskatoon, SK
Vacancies: Multiple casual-temporary positions available
Reports To: Laboratory Supervisor or Team Lead
Shift: Varies depending on sample volumes, with overtime and weekend coverage as
required. Position will last until April/May.
About the Position
Full training is provided. The Laboratory Assistant will assist with basic laboratory functions, such as preparing client samples for analysis and routine lab maintenance. You will be working independently and in a team environment, with an emphasis on providing quality and efficient service to clients.
- Sample preparation or processing;
o Weighing and/or scooping soil
o Adding extraction solution
o Shaking and filtering the soil and extraction solution
o Transferring extract to test tubes
- Clean glassware and laboratory equipment;
- Monitor and restock laboratory consumables/chemicals;
- Sample shelving, archiving, and disposal;
- Prepare reagents, standards, and reference materials;
- Perform all required record-keeping and documentation;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Operate and maintain simple laboratory equipment;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Ability to climb stairs
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment an asset, but not required;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset.
You would also be:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 12, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “LA – Job ID 2013SK06 - Saskatoon” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Life Sciences but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.