ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Location: ALS Environmental, Burnaby, BC
Reports to: Supervisor or Team Lead
Shift: Several positions available (Please note that ALS operates on a 24/7 basis)
About the Position
This position will assist with routine laboratory functions, such as preparing client samples for analysis and routine lab maintenance. You will be working independently and in a team environment, with an emphasis on providing quality and efficient service to clients.
- Process samples in a timely manner, to meet client Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Dispensing and dilution samples as well as preparing (drying, grinding, pasting, homogenizing), subsample, and extract samples of different matrices (ex. water, tissue, and soil) for analysis;
- Clean glassware and laboratory equipment;
- Monitor and restock laboratory consumables/chemicals;
- Sample shelving, archiving, and disposal;
- Prepare reagents, standards, and reference materials;
- Perform all required record-keeping and documentation;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Operate and maintain simple laboratory equipment;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent (required);
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment (asset);
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety (asset);
- Previous experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) (asset).
You would also have:
- Intermediate English communication skills (auditory, verbal, written, and reading) as required;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) on a basic level;
- Basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Analytical and process oriented skills with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should send a resume and cover letter no later than August 4, 2014.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – EV76 – Lab Assistant” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 30+ days ago
copy to clipboard
At ALS Environmental, we provide a full range of environmental analytical testing services, specializing in the analysis of soil, sediment,...