ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Laboratory Group, Environmental Division – Edmonton, AB
Reports to: Trace Organics Supervisor
Shift: Tuesday to Saturday, weekdays 9:00am-5:00pm, Saturday – 8:00am-4:00pm
About the Position
Responsible for organizing computer generated work lists and preparing client samples for extraction and analysis.
- Preparation, subsampling, filtration, extraction, and digestion of samples of various matrices (including but not limited to soil, water, product, plant and animal tissue, etc.);
- Operate simple lab equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, pH meters etc.;
- Prepare all required reagents, standards, reference materials, etc.;
- Generate worklists from LIMS software (training is provided);
- Carry out all required quality control procedures;
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) requirements;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- General laboratory clean-up and maintenance;
- Assist in sample flow and archiving as well as data archiving;
- Produce all of the above within specific turnaround times;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent (required);
- Some experience working in a fast-paced production and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science and/or basic laboratory safety courses;
- Experience working with chemicals in a laboratory setting (ex. school).
You would also have:
- Intermediate English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) on a basic level;
- Basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Analytical and process oriented skills with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 8, 2014.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – ED11 – LA2” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 10 months ago
At ALS Environmental, we provide a full range of environmental analytical testing services, specializing in the analysis of soil, sediment,...