ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA1)
(3 Month Contract)
Location: ALS Environmental – Yellowknife, NT
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Shift: Shift work will be required
Some on-call or overtime/weekend coverage may also be required.
About the Position
This position will assist with basic laboratory functions, such as preparing client samples for analysis and routine lab maintenance. You will be working independently and in a team environment, with an emphasis on providing quality and efficient service to clients.
- Process samples in a timely manner, to meet client Turnaround Times (TAT’s) and holding requirements;
- May assist in the preparation (drying, grinding, pasting, homogenizing), subsample, and extraction of samples of different matrices for analysis;
- Assist in the preparation (drying, grinding, pasting, homogenizing), subsample, and extraction of samples of different matrices for analysis;
- Prepare (drying, grinding, pasting, homogenizing), subsample, dispense, and extract samples of different matrices for analysis;
- Responsible for preparation and screening of water samples, including digestions and filtrations;
- Screen, dispense, filter, and dilute samples for instruments;
- Responsible for Turbidity analyses along with solids and manual meter analyses;
- Clean glassware and laboratory equipment;
- Monitor and restock laboratory consumables/chemicals;
- Sample shelving, archiving, and disposal;
- Prepare reagents, standards, and reference materials;
- Perform all required record-keeping and documentation;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Operate and maintain simple laboratory equipment;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs/14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- You will be exposed to unpleasant fumes;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have (list the education, professional designations required for the job):
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required.
You would also have:
- Intermediate English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should send a resume and cover letter no later than August 24, 2014.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – YL04 – LA1” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.