ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Analyst (AN1)
Location: ALS Environmental – Yellowknife, NT
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Shift: Shift work will be required.
About the Position
The Laboratory Analyst will work independently and as part of a team to accomplish a variety of lab tasks, including analyses, lab maintenance, and generating data. This position is responsible for producing quality data and meeting strict turnaround times by following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and adhere to strict QA/QC requirements, to ensure clients receive efficient service and quality results.
- Prepare samples, reagents, standards, and reference materials for analysis;
- Analyze samples of different matrices using laboratory instrumentation to generate accurate results for clients;
- Complete data processing activities (i.e. data entry into LIMS, calculations, evaluation etc.) and all required documentation;
- Ensure that the correct due dates are assigned to samples, products and files;
- Ensure that appropriate comments are added to samples where required;
- Notify the appropriate lab staff of any rush work as quickly as possible so that the labs can meet TAT requirements;
- Print labels for all sample containers;
- Perform instrument/equipment calibration, troubleshooting, maintenance, and/or repairs as required;
- Perform technical decision making for non-routine, complex analyses or matrices;
- Oversight of junior staff;
- Monitor inventory of spare parts and consumables;
- Organize workload to meet Turn Around Times (TAT);
- Conduct client sample supply deliveries and sample pick-ups as needed;
- Provide customer service to clients and couriers;
- Prepare, pack, and ship sample bottle orders and preservatives to clients using appropriate couriers and procedures to ensure items are safely delivered and free of contamination;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for a full shift;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or equivalent laboratory experience is required;
- 2+ years’ experience in an analytical laboratory or related field experience an asset;
- Experience with any of the following instrumentation and chemistries would be an asset but not a requirement for the positions – IC, ICP-OES, AA, CVAA, Microtox for ERCB D-50, B.C. CSR, ABT1 and CCME criteria.
You would also have:
- Intermediate English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Intermediate user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), with confident computer skills;
- Organized, analytical, and process oriented;
- High attention to detail;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Ability to handle pressure from high sample volumes and competing turnaround times;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 1, 2014.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV –YL03 – AN1” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 9 months ago
copy to clipboard
At ALS Environmental, we provide a full range of environmental analytical testing services, specializing in the analysis of soil, sediment,...