At Alberta Distillers, a subsidiary of Beam Suntory, we’re proud of our people, products and heritage. Our success and the quality of our brands are attributed to the talent of our people. We are committed to crafting the spirits with the best quality, and in the safest, most effective, efficient and environmentally sound manner possible.
Reporting to Plant General Manager, the key responsibilities of this position are to provide leadership to the Operations Departments (Tankhouse and Warehouse, Packaging and Supply Chain) to deliver results on area performance plans; Monitor and evaluate to achieve lowest production costs in conjunction with best possible efficiencies; Monitor budget and operational costs, and report variances; and assist in the preparation of capital and operating plan.
1. Ensure the efficient and productive operation of the Packaging Department:
- Review and discuss operation with Supervisors, with an emphasis on improved efficiencies and reduced cost
- Guidance and advice in operations, improvements, new products and improvement of processes and equipment
- Guidance in people management, dealing with employee concerns, problems, discipline, grievances, etc.
- Attend to production issues, new production items, on-packs etc.
- Drive HACCP, 5S and Integrated Management Systems (IMS) responsibilities for ISO and OHSAS Standards
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement utilizing LEAN manufacturing tools and principles and then drive the process to impact the results
- Use appropriate root cause problem solving (RCPS) techniques to help with operational improvements. Ensure RCPS culture is embedded in operation.
- Optimize production schedule for efficiency in monitoring inventory for cost effectiveness
2. Ensure the efficient and productive operation of the Tankhouse and Warehouse departments:
- Coordinate safe and efficient improvement, innovation and overall requirement for productivity gains and cost reduction
- Application of Excise regulations to plant activities
- Focus on outstanding items, such as overseas shipments, re-distillation, new equipment etc.
3. Equipment purchase, installation, start-up, maintenance, operation and analysis of:
- Capital activities, meetings, equipment review and installation
- Analysis of equipment for the job and best ways to utilize
- Analysis of start-up and operational problems
- Continuous review of new equipment available to increase productivity and reduce costs
- Empower teams to identify opportunities for continuous improvement and then drive process to impact the results.
- Ensure a safe work environment for operations teams with constant awareness for opportunities to improve safety
- Timely management of reports and attendance at meetings
- Member of TRACC SSC (Site Steering Committee) and Best Practice Leader for Autonomous Maintenance and Set-up Time Reduction Pillars.
- Administer and control departmental budgets consistent with production requirements, manpower availability, packaging and quality standards
- Bachelor/Masters degree in business or engineering
- 8 plus years of manufacturing leadership experience, preferably in production and supply chain
- Demonstrated visionary leadership skills with proven results
- Experience with administering collective agreements and participation in contract negotiations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience with LEAN Manufacturing tools, principles and successful implementation
- Computer literacy including proficiency with Microsoft Office and familiarity with SAP and AS400
- Compliance with standard operating procedures, legal and other requirements including health and safety, fire protection, environmental, quality, security and continuous improvement programs is a requirement of the job
- Mobility to access all areas of a large plant site
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to Human Resources, stating salary expectations, by August 31 2014. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.