AECOM Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly and quiet
Summer student (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 15, 2013
Head to work every monday to friday morning, work at a desk on a computer where I would make revisions to drawings, and sometimes I would print or scan drawings. After an 8 hour shift I would be done. I learned a lot about the work that goes behind every building, road, etc. My managers were very friendly, along with all of my coworkers. There was no tough part of the job, it was relatively simple. The most enjoyable part was learning all of the different aspects to the design that goes into each building.
Pros
lots of engineering experience
Cons
no benefits
Good company to work for
NDE Requesting, Weld Mapping, Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Surmont 2 Conaco Phillips SiteMarch 26, 2014
Go to work on site.Enter daily weld progress for site in database,Determine NDE Required.Notify all concerned regarding NDE. Speak with superintendants. Do weld mapping. The management is good work with.Co-workers are good to work with.The hardest part of my job is being away from home,however,we do what we have to do to attain gainful employment.The enjoyable part of my job is the never ending of aspects of my job that I can learn and continue to do.
Pros
good pay, paid flights
Applying Best Practices of American Association of Cost Engineers (AACE) and Project Management Institute (PMI).
PLANNING & SCHEDULING ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2015
Great place for Professional Development
Skills Improvement
Application of Earned Value Management System and Critical Path Method (CPM)
Pros
organization supports pd
Cons
extra time and weekend work sometime
Bad old management and destructive decisions maker
Former engineer and project manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2012
higher and intermidiate managers take old school management decisions and distruct the company structure, the result is the employees don't trust the company and the managers. Some employees brought millions of dollars to AECOM, but the got laid-off because stupid decision from higher management without looking who cares of AECOM and who is not.
Pros
payroll on time
Cons
not friendly environment and tension in most of offices
Fast paced, learning environment
Trades Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
This company provided a lot of work experience in my field. Gained valuable business and recruitment knowledge for my career.
Excellent group
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Peace River, ABMarch 16, 2015
Not very often i say this, but URS has a great crew from top to bottom here. Safety guys are fantastic and the upper management actually listens to the worker
Productive and work safely
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fort sasketchewanFebruary 18, 2015
I love doing my job, I always make it a point that i enjoy doing it and doing it in a safe manner not just for me, but for the other workers around me as well.
Cons
Productive, efficient and safe place to work with a fitness room
Industrial Engineer and Lead Project Quality Rep (Current Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work comprises of a few hours of individual working and in personal office and a subtle blend of a interaction form colleagues and at time mediate supervisor when there is need to brainstorm over an issue. I learned so much from my immediate supervisor whose leadership skill is highly desirous.My co-workers are smart and hard working people who, i believe their work ethics has also rob off on me.

The hardest part of my job is whenever I am assigned a non billable work to do.Whenever this happens, I would have to put in more hours than I should in order to meet up budgetary expectations.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to meet and work with different clients and subcontractors from time to time. There is also the benefit of getting involved with colleagues in games and other activities outside of the work place.
Pros
socialisation
Excellent company with good employee support
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Labrador NFLDJuly 28, 2014
Long days highly busy
Northern Labrador weather provide extra challenges
Management gives great support
Great bunch good team environment
The people on the job and in the community
Pros
great people
Cons
job was not setup properly for remote site by client
Good company to work for
Journeyman/Red Seal Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABJune 9, 2015
I liked being close to home, the hours and wage were excellent. I was on a small project and learned a lot on this job. I would definitely like to work for AECOM again
Overall not a great experience
Superintendent Trainee (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie ABOctober 8, 2014
The management team is lacking in managing its' talent and meeting the delieverables that were set out prior to the hiring process. Coworkers were great to work with but did not make up for the overall experience.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Awesome company to work for.
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  CAMBRIDGDE,September 17, 2012
I carried a mental diary of important meetings coming in the working week. I planned my whole week on Saturday in case I needed to travel on Sunday to be a a meeting venue far from the office (80 miles) on Monday morning.
Typical day started with checking emails, briefing junior engineers and draughtspersons. During the day I would attend to various FRIs that came in the form of phone calls or e-mails. Brisk walk to sandwich shop with mates,and sometimes during this time a client would call I would still take the call on mobile. I can not tell anyone to call back after lunch. Sometimes I wolud visit sites early in the day and settle down in the office mid-morning. No days are the same.
Pros
there was the the challenges that came with a very diverse workload.
Cons
i was managed by someone twenty years older than me! he was brilliant but did not have experience.
No Bosses
lead (Current Employee) –  EdmontonMay 12, 2014
I love working at AECOM because, even though there are bosses, everyone is treated the same. The VPs, District Managers, Managers, etc all work together. No one thinks of themselves as better as another.
Pros
free lunches, great benefits package
Cons
sometimes high stress and short deadlines
Poor working conditions
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 4, 2014
Very poor at planning daily activites. Procesess did not have smooth flow. Other divisions did not work well with each other so it seemed we always putting out fires.
Pros
decent salary with company truck benefits
Cons
poor communication. will not improve facilities
Financial Analysis and Planning
Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2014
o Report and manage financial budgets, forecasts and outlooks with in-depth performance and variance analysis for the Oil & Gas facility construction business units.
o Compile, research and analyze complex operations data, industry trends and customers CAPEX.
o Translate the business dynamics into a challenging short and long term business plan to steer operations and business development towards goals.
o Adopt early warning process and provide analytical to allow operation management to act proactively and ensure any deviation is promptly spotted, analyzed, and reported.
o Forecast projects financials and cash flow curves to eliminate cash gaps and improve working capital
o Achieved ROCE growth and improved working capital by improving invoicing business process, billing techniques and optimizing contract terms.
o Improved liquidity ratios and DSO and through optimizing the cash conservation cycle and adopting electronic billing system.
o Manage and develop models statistical and financial models to evaluate projects and analyze current and new aspects of business performance using business intelligence and predictive analytical tools
o Undertake ad-hoc projects, researches, assignments, presentation work and other relevant initiatives as requested by the executive management.
URS Flint
SR Data Control Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Conoco Phillips Surmont 2June 16, 2013
I thoroughly enjoy the many different personalities that I work with. The company overall has some areas that could be improved on.
Pros
great people
Cons
work/life balance
Qc Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand GulfMay 19, 2014
URS provided me with a new plant to work at and it was great. Management was good and the area was great ( civil war). Outage was short but it went by nicely
Pros
sight seeing
Cons
job was to short
productive work environment with good people
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  whitby ontarioSeptember 19, 2013
waking up when the sun rises, eat breakfeast then go out in the field to our first structure of the day, then we would take pictures of the damage to the structure and note it on a form, and we would do this for every element of the structure and we'd inspect up to 10 structures in a day.

Deck condition surveys where different, this involves closing half the road way so we can work on the deck and test for corrosion and other deficiencies the structure may have.

the hardest part would be the long 10 to 12 hour days but the people where good people that made work more enjoyable.
Pros
lunches where paid
not bad
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  kinosisOctober 20, 2014
not bad at all
learned a lot
fun at work
management is a little sucks
co-workers are very nice
Poor management and not competent
structural engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2014
poor management and not competent. Not able to win jobs for very long time. Lots of ppl left.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
poor management