AECOM

1.6K reviews

AECOM Employee Reviews

Financial Analysis and Planning
Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2014
o Report and manage financial budgets, forecasts and outlooks with in-depth performance and variance analysis for the Oil & Gas facility construction business units.
o Compile, research and analyze complex operations data, industry trends and customers CAPEX.
o Translate the business dynamics into a challenging short and long term business plan to steer operations and business development towards goals.
o Adopt early warning process and provide analytical to allow operation management to act proactively and ensure any deviation is promptly spotted, analyzed, and reported.
o Forecast projects financials and cash flow curves to eliminate cash gaps and improve working capital
o Achieved ROCE growth and improved working capital by improving invoicing business process, billing techniques and optimizing contract terms.
o Improved liquidity ratios and DSO and through optimizing the cash conservation cycle and adopting electronic billing system.
o Manage and develop models statistical and financial models to evaluate projects and analyze current and new aspects of business performance using business intelligence and predictive analytical tools
o Undertake ad-hoc projects, researches, assignments, presentation work and other relevant initiatives as requested by the executive management.
Awesome company to work for.
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  CAMBRIDGDE,September 17, 2012
I carried a mental diary of important meetings coming in the working week. I planned my whole week on Saturday in case I needed to travel on Sunday to be a a meeting venue far from the office (80 miles) on Monday morning.
Typical day started with checking emails, briefing junior engineers and draughtspersons. During the day I would attend to various FRIs that came in the form of phone calls or e-mails. Brisk walk to sandwich shop with mates,and sometimes during this time a client would call I would still take the call on mobile. I can not tell anyone to call back after lunch. Sometimes I wolud visit sites early in the day and settle down in the office mid-morning. No days are the same.
Pros
there was the the challenges that came with a very diverse workload.
Cons
i was managed by someone twenty years older than me! he was brilliant but did not have experience.
Productive, efficient and safe place to work with a fitness room
Industrial Engineer and Lead Project Quality Rep (Current Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work comprises of a few hours of individual working and in personal office and a subtle blend of a interaction form colleagues and at time mediate supervisor when there is need to brainstorm over an issue. I learned so much from my immediate supervisor whose leadership skill is highly desirous.My co-workers are smart and hard working people who, i believe their work ethics has also rob off on me.

The hardest part of my job is whenever I am assigned a non billable work to do.Whenever this happens, I would have to put in more hours than I should in order to meet up budgetary expectations.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to meet and work with different clients and subcontractors from time to time. There is also the benefit of getting involved with colleagues in games and other activities outside of the work place.
Pros
socialisation
decent to work for. my truck broke down on my days off. and it wasn't fixed before my travel day back to camp.
Side Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  albertaApril 25, 2015
I got a ride back to work with my foreman and was told the first day back that I don't know why I bothered coming without my truck.. so I said should I go home and get my truck fixed and come back and I was told yes. and that I would not be laid off.. I got a ride to fort mac from Conklin corner paid 400 for a flight to Calgary got home at 615 on a Tuesday.. truck was booked in to get repairs.. got a call sunday saying I was laid off.. truck was finished Monday.. go figure.. so I lost my job because I did what I was told to do.. by my foreman and if I had of stayed home and got my truck fixed and not wasted 2 days driving up there I might still have a job..
Pros
camp sucked.. 50 minute drive to site from the camp we were put in..
Good company to work with and advance your career with
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABAugust 30, 2015
A typical day begins at 5:00 am and ends around 6:00 pm. Through my 4.5 years experience with URS, I have developed my construction knowledge as well as learned how to deal with various types of people from co-workers, construction management and Clients and their representatives. The hardest part of this job was the amount of travel and the remoteness of the job site (Northern Alberta) and I spent entirely too much time away from home and my family. The most enjoyable part of my job with URS was the ever changing face of the job as we progressed through the project. Every new challenge taught me more construction practises and solutions to various construction issues that arose.
Pros
Great compensation, good benefits, rewarding work
Cons
Long hours, excessive travel involved
productive place,safety oriented,great people to work with
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONMarch 18, 2013
the day start with a safety meeting then job assignments and off to work,we always watched for one another to make sure every one was safe.I learned that working as a team can move mountains,and that is what we did:) The management was there to help us i nay way possible to make life smooth and answer any questions we might had,The hardest part of the job was to change pumps and or lines in cold days when it was -30 to -40 ,but we had to do it to keep the mine operational.The most enjoyable part was knowing you were going to work in a safe environment and to work with knowlegeable coworkers.
Pros
great wages
Cons
mine life project too short
Different field to enhance career with balanced life style
Civil/structural Engineering (Former Employee) –  canadaOctober 18, 2015
AECOM is a company who deal with its expertise in various area including Civil, Infrastructure, oil and Gas,Building Construction and management, Urban Planning and Design and so many others. It value their employees and their career path with family requirement. It serve best services with excellent quality within the timeline and budget. It has highly experienced professional to handle all kind of huge level of projects including Bridge design, Building Construction and all.

It would my pleasure if I get and opportunity to serve my expertise, ideas and handwork.I will always keen to grab any opportunity to work with this firm.
work schedule and homelife balanced out perfectly
Heavy Duty Mechanic (apprenticeship) (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJune 11, 2013
come in the shop, have a safety meeting with crew, plan out the assigned work. working at a mine has given me the chance to work on various kinds of equipment. management always provided tarining when neccessary. My co-workers were all easy going and patient. i enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was having to be away from home. most employees were fortunate to go home at the end of every shift. and the most enjoyable part was being able to work on and operate these huge pieces of equipment.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not having to go home after every shift.
productive work environment with good people
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  whitby ontarioSeptember 19, 2013
waking up when the sun rises, eat breakfeast then go out in the field to our first structure of the day, then we would take pictures of the damage to the structure and note it on a form, and we would do this for every element of the structure and we'd inspect up to 10 structures in a day.

Deck condition surveys where different, this involves closing half the road way so we can work on the deck and test for corrosion and other deficiencies the structure may have.

the hardest part would be the long 10 to 12 hour days but the people where good people that made work more enjoyable.
Pros
lunches where paid
productive
Senior Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 1, 2013
Employer treated the employee in a professional way. I have gain vast experience in all fiels as far as planning/scheduling job. Management is supportive in their employee. My co-workers are my team. My hardest part in a job coordinating each decipline and some does not know about their job and giving wrong info. My most enjoyable part of the job is to oversee a project that is on schedule and within budget but that does not come along, one has to sacrifice and i would say project to be completed within time.
Pros
free lunch once a week
Cons
at my level company does not pay extra hours of work
very comfertable company to work for
Haul truck and pit Dewatering Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONNovember 21, 2013
was always happy to go to work.learned how to operate haule trucks heavy equipment and pumping systems
management where very easy to talk to and where very considerate to job needs
got along great with all my co workers
the hardest part of the job was weather conditions that would slow or stop operations would make for a very long shift
most enjoyable parts of the job was when everything went well and their where no delays and the people I worked with
Pros
good work environment and good peaple to work with
Cons
bad weather and shut downs
Co-workers and other tradespeople were easy to work with
3rd year apprentice, welder (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 19, 2016
As long as it was a productive day at work and able to go home safe at the end of the shift, then it was a good day. Structural GF & the Pipefitter's GF were awesome guys to work for because they cared about the input of the people working underneath them. They knew that a happy crew was a safe & productive crew! Hardest part of the job, was watching people with families being laid off....On the account of management bidding aggressively on jobs!
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management hasn't changed their way of thinking about employees or the business
Friendly and quiet
Summer student (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 15, 2013
Head to work every monday to friday morning, work at a desk on a computer where I would make revisions to drawings, and sometimes I would print or scan drawings. After an 8 hour shift I would be done. I learned a lot about the work that goes behind every building, road, etc. My managers were very friendly, along with all of my coworkers. There was no tough part of the job, it was relatively simple. The most enjoyable part was learning all of the different aspects to the design that goes into each building.
Pros
lots of engineering experience
Cons
no benefits
Terrible company
Biologist (Former Employee) –  MarkhamFebruary 3, 2013
This company has no clue how to treat their employees. False job advertising; they advertize their positions to attract good people, but you end up doing a lower level job that you didn't apply to. When you have questions or concerns about your job you get stabbed in the back and treated like garbage. I found management to be inexperienced and inadequate to handle workloads, staff, budgets and projects. No job security with high stress among staff and employees who feared of losing their job.
Pros
some of the other staff were good people
Cons
everything
Productive and fast developping company with diverse business lines
Economist (Former Employee) –  C30May 20, 2012
Flexible working day but usually means work over-time. But one will find the company is dynamic and diverse, so that one can learn much more experience from different areas in such a short time.

The company is full of different background and nice co-workers and the management in international run.

You will find the hardest part of the job is that you would have to finish project deadlines on a tight schedule, but the enjoyable part is also about the deadlines, what make the self-fulfillment for hard work.
Big Company big opportunity
Site labourer (Former Employee) –  Cheecham, AlbertaApril 9, 2015
Their are no typical work days, I learned a great deal about pipefitting rigging spotting welding and prep work as it pertains to the construction industry. Hands down the best part of the job was my co workers, the most enjoyable part was the paycheque. I suppose the hardest part of the job would be the weather in Cheecham Alberta in febuary, its all out doors and its cold, nuff said.
Pros
Great work life balance 14/7
Cons
Having to find a new work home when projects end.
decent poeple , good shifts up north 10 and 4 in winter and 9 and 5 in summer
Welder/Welders helper (Former Employee) –  pelican lakeNovember 6, 2014
good play , rate of pay was a little low and it was pulling teeth to get a review for a raise . everything was supplied tho and they treated us pretty good. worked in all kinds of weather tho and didn't shut down at all, rain ,snow, minus 40 it didn't matter.
Pros
paid lunches and jump hours when weather was no good
Cons
rate of pay and advancment, didnt want to pay for schooling and or tickets
Good company to work for
NDE Requesting, Weld Mapping, Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Surmont 2 Conaco Phillips SiteMarch 26, 2014
Go to work on site.Enter daily weld progress for site in database,Determine NDE Required.Notify all concerned regarding NDE. Speak with superintendants. Do weld mapping. The management is good work with.Co-workers are good to work with.The hardest part of my job is being away from home,however,we do what we have to do to attain gainful employment.The enjoyable part of my job is the never ending of aspects of my job that I can learn and continue to do.
Pros
good pay, paid flights
Lacks integrity
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 6, 2015
Speaking from the Saskatchewan area only. If you are an electrician looking for a job and not a career that's all aecom is. Forget about your future the project managers walk all over you. Basically a company where the field worker is treated like the lowest form on the earth. Managers forget that field are the ones that bring the money to their pocket. I suggest you keep looking for work and keep aecom away from electrical all together. They are ruining our rights as electricians.
contract recruiter
Recruiter-contract (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Aecom was going through some growing pains transitioning from FLINT, to URS and then AECOM. Oil prices dropped and they had to re org. has been a difficult time for many.
I loved being able to work from home and still be communicating with candidates regularly as I was recruiting for oil and gas.
The team I was working with was fantastic, although I was not in the office often, we had a very good working relationship.
Pros
working from home
Cons
work is dependant on oil prices