AECOM Employee Reviews

Aecom
Pipefitter Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2016
AECOM has been in an up and down slide as every other company in oil and gas has. It has its benefits, my career path started with Flint and they are now Aecom. the guidance was not there but they got you started. downside there are some behind door agreements that are made and its not fair for everyone else. i feel if you earn and get the education for your trade or job you should be paid accordingly. people who don't take the plunge and upgrade there positions should not be paid more than a qualified individual.
Was an enjoyable workplace until cut backs happened.
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lampman, SK4 January 2017
Too much indecision since buyout and cut backs. Lost a lot of benefits. Have to work too far from home, only see my family on weekends. Had great co-workers, but most of them have quit due to job insecurity.
Pros
Safe work place
Cons
Loss of benefits, too much indecision
n/a
Electrical Designer - EIT (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 August 2016
not a bad environment, nice people, too much work to be done all year long, very low salary, good benefits, terrible management
excellent place to work
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB9 August 2016
this area was in Alberta and it was a great place to work, nice people and very professional. Not a problem when time was needed off and benefits were excellent
Enjoyable workplace where every friday is BBQ Friday
LEADHAND JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB13 December 2016
Set up workers with tasks and periodically check on them through the day while i do maintenance on equipment. I can say ive learned something new every day and still continue to do so. Some of the management knows their stuff and gets the job done, others are just there to collect a pay check. Co-workers have their good and bad days, and who doesnt. its how you approach them that determines if they will produce that day. Hardest part of the job is to have everyone satisfied with a a task. The most enjoyable part of my job is leading by example.
Pros
Home every night
Cons
Not being heard
Decent office with untapped potential
Structural EIT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
A well established work space but a need to have a stronger community within it.
Management were quite distant at times, and not always there to offer guidance.
The hardest part was trying to move forward with an inexperienced team, and constantly hitting brick walls.
I met some really decent people in this company, and came away with an appreciation of Transmission and Distribution sector.
Pros
Organized sporting events
Cons
Remote location in Burnaby; office space not integrated
Canadian group is very secure
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 January 2017
I have only worked for the industrial construction division located in Alberta Canada. They are a very tight group that appreciates hard work. The management that is in place, is very hands on and are in their positions due to the hard work and dedication they have put in to get there. They reward hard work and have done an excellent job of keeping their core group of workers employed through tight times in the marketplace.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Moved to smaller size jobs since taking over URS/Flint
A large and diverse organisation
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 January 2017
It has been a productive experience with them. They tend to care more about bean counting and productivity than employee satisfaction or work life balance. Not much employee input allowed and the company is very poor for information dissemination.
all good
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Waterton Park, AB22 March 2017
i have spent many years working for Flint\URS\Aecom throughout my career and i have found they have overall been a great company to work for\with. they were very flexible when it came to family, schooling, and holidays. they recognized and awarded workers for their skills and achievements. glad to have been part of this team
Good people, decent pay
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB27 March 2017
Worked with good people who knew how to do their jobs well and safely. Had a decent foreman who helped when needed. Got along with co-workers who were always willing to lend a hand. The workplace culture is very safety orientated and safety conscious. Field Level Hazard Assessments are done daily to identify and mitigate hazards.
Pros
Paid every Friday, transportation provided.
Cons
Not applicable
productive workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB8 October 2016
start with a toolbox meeting, safety moments and safety issues, then work ahead and accomplishments, good teamwork, good management support, workers welfare and safety is paramount.
Pros
free lunches
Good Manager and Bad Manager
Civil Technologist - Transportation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 November 2016
Drafting and Design highway and bridge structures. I learned that every company has good manager and bad manager. When encounter bad manager, try to work with other department where good manager exist. Co-workers are very helpful. The hardest part of the job is to find learning opportunities from Structural Supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with Roadway Lead because he is a model of a good manager that I can learn from.
Pros
Good Lead in Civil Highway Team and many good co-workers
Cons
Bad supervisor in Structural Team
Great company to work for!
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Hardisty, AB19 January 2017
I enjoyed working for AECOM. I worked for them at two different locations and worked under two different management teams. There is a strong safety presence within the company. There were several instances where the proper tool for the job was not available.
Pros
Safety
Cons
Tool availability
Alright place to work, depending on management
Steamfitter/Pipefitter , Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
Most management works with employees, good safety attitude. Would be better if the company could keep employees more busy
Pros
Good wages
Cons
No steady work
Overall is OK
Cost Controller (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
Project based job with support from management.
Learned how to work with project managers and contractors
workplace is fast paced
the most enjoyable part of the job is you can see how much you help ed the client saved
benefit is about average
Pros
good benefit
Lloydminster / Wainright Field and Facility
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB8 October 2016
I have a hard time believing how poorly Aecom in this area is managed! The job co-ordinators play favorites and that is how the work is divided up . If you don't suck up and do everything they ask you end up sitting with no work. This area needs some type of HR or upper management to come and check out this circus ! The pay is rock bottom and you always end up working and not getting paid for all hrs worked. Conflict of interest is huge!
Summary of AECOM
Senior Project Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake Alberta24 January 2017
I have worked for a few global firms but AECOM is a company where if you dream it you can make it happen. I have never felt so connected to a company in my entire life, I found a company which has the same belief system as me, I hope I have the chance to work with this firm again.
Pros
Excellence communication, caring environment.
Cons
So old school thinking which is on it's way out.
Great work/safety culture.
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
I found this job very rewarding with a very respectful group of professionals to work with. safety is very important with this company and will spend a good part of the pre job meeting in the morning addressing safety concerns and discussing how to work safe on the job. Safety is drilled into your head, so that when you go on site, you can identify hazards before you are injured. Plain and simple. I found a lot of camaraderie between workers on site and off. Although my time on job was cut short because of a personal issue, I would work for them again in a second.
Pros
excellent PPE
Cons
uneven ground
not sure how this commpany will survive in the future
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary7 March 2017
bad management.
been with this company for many years and let go recently; my department manager or the topper leaders were changed 4 or 5 times in about10 years.
Pros
co workers
Cons
management
Transportation Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2017
I have worked at Aecom since 2009 while attending school at both Red River College and the University of Manitoba and have enjoyed my time immensely.

However, I did graduate from the UofM in 2013 and feel that it is now to move on to new and exciting adventures.

Here is hoping I did not wait to long.
Pros
Great community of people
Cons
Sometimes less then desirable work locations