AECOM Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive workplace
Recruitment Administrator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Work with team ensuring all daily tasks are met
I learnt the recruitment process and what steps were taken to new hires
Management was well involved in ensuring the employees needs were met
Coworkers were very friendly an helpful in general
Hardest part of the job was very repetative
Most enjoyable part of the job was working in a professional enviroment
Pros
Working in professional enviroment
Cons
Repetitive work
Tough times? Sell the farm. That's their motto
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 14, 2016
Lots of promises of advancement and development, but when the times get tough, they sell the farm. Our office went from 2 storeys and ~40 people to 1 floor and 8 people in 6 months.

I get that it's tough times, but this company loves talking about how employees come first, and we value our employees. Something doesn't add up.

When it was good, it was great! But you quickly see your worth at the slightest sign of decline.
Productive, Fun workplace
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 7, 2016
I was hard worker in my team which includes Service Desk\Desktop team. The work environment was fun and friendly through years I worked there. The IT Department was very small when I started working in Flint\AECOM and then grew to big team and I grew with the team. I have gained lots of hands-on and technical experience through 10 years working in AECOM. I always was motivated to go to work every single day and to meet the challenges.
Pros
Friendly, Resourceful, educational
Cons
Not much room to grow
oil based company, low amount of work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 9, 2016
The day would start off with a tailgate meeting with a weekly safety meeting every Wednesday. I learned on the job the different types of drill pipe. Management was a stickler for keeping records precise. My fellow co-workers we a great bunch of people to work with. The hardest part of the day was trying to find a location for incoming stock, there was such a lack of space in the yard. The best part of the day was when you got congratulated on a great job.
Pros
The safety meetings
Cons
lack of space in the yard
I didn't like working at AECOM
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 28, 2016
When AECOM took over Flint URS there got to be too many people thinking that they were in charge when they weren't. They started to fire everyone that had been there for a long time and began hiring people that were family members of the company and refusing others. They began hiring people that didn't know how to do their jobs.
complexity and size of project
Contract Administrator and Site Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2016
perform inspections, take photo and upload, check emails, communicate with site super and trades, write report, phone conversation and report work quality and progress, review drawings and spec, monitor tests, process invoices, study contract changes, communicate to co-workers about work and life,
The hardest part of job was arguing with contractor about quality and negotiate claims.
The most enjoyable part was work progress and learning new methods of work and familiarization with trades
Pros
flexibility to manage your time between different tasks
Cons
speding unpaid time to drive to job site
Co-workers and other tradespeople were easy to work with
3rd year apprentice, welder (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 19, 2016
As long as it was a productive day at work and able to go home safe at the end of the shift, then it was a good day. Structural GF & the Pipefitter's GF were awesome guys to work for because they cared about the input of the people working underneath them. They knew that a happy crew was a safe & productive crew! Hardest part of the job, was watching people with families being laid off....On the account of management bidding aggressively on jobs!
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management hasn't changed their way of thinking about employees or the business
Tight knit, hard working group
QA/QC Manager Major Facilities/Major Projects (Former Employee) –  White City, SKFebruary 29, 2016
This was an excellent opportunity to broaden my understand of pressure piping fabrication , and turnover document creation. The group is very tight knit, and are hard working. The most difficult part of this job was becoming part of the team.
Pros
Paid Lunches
Cons
Disorganized
A well-managed company that values it's employees.
Site SCM Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Typical on-site industrial construction in the oil and gas sector.
Management was well represented and receptive. My co-workers were professional and respectful. The hardest part of the job was when there was no more work. (industry-wide economic downturn).
Pros
Management cares about it's people.
Cons
Other than factors beyond it's control (ie: industry slow-down)....none.
Great place to work but times are slow when oil is low
Welder (Current Employee) –  Rainbow Lake, ABApril 30, 2016
Culture and co-workers are good. Management in some areas could use some work. Hardest part of the job is being away from our families. I've good a trade and lots of great possessions thanks to them so I would say it's been good.
Very much enjoyed working for them.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Husky SunriseMarch 8, 2016
Enjoyed the Team I was with, all the guys were great. There was nothing wrong with management and they paid within the industry standard. It was a positive experience. To bad the price of oil is what it is.
Pros
Could walk to the office and we had our own bathrooms in camp.
Good group of people
Pipefitter / Project Foreman (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABFebruary 12, 2016
With the down falling economy They keeps taking away from the worker even though they say there people are # 1? They have taken away the RRSP donation, and also had a wage decrees and possible another one in the near future .
Pros
Has a apprenticeship programs in place
Cons
Continue to drop wages
Great People to work with.
Job Cost Administrator support / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABApril 12, 2016
They are great people to work for. Management understands work life balance. wages are terrible and it's very difficult to move up in the company, but over well its a good company.
Pros
Get bosses
Cons
Gossip and wages
contract recruiter
Recruiter-contract (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Aecom was going through some growing pains transitioning from FLINT, to URS and then AECOM. Oil prices dropped and they had to re org. has been a difficult time for many.
I loved being able to work from home and still be communicating with candidates regularly as I was recruiting for oil and gas.
The team I was working with was fantastic, although I was not in the office often, we had a very good working relationship.
Pros
working from home
Cons
work is dependant on oil prices
fast paced work
Procurement/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 10, 2016
everyday was like a new day, new problems, new orders, constant learning - on the job training. I developed my Microsoft skills further. improved on my data entry. Co workers made it a joy to come to work on a daily basis.
Pros
co workers
Cons
salary
Great Company, could use better management
Registered Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 8, 2016
At the time i was working for URS energy now AECOM. They kept me busy with challenging tasks that helped me along with my electrical apprenticeship. Management could use some help, if you weren't part of their inner circle, you suffered.
very interesting
SCM Manager, Category Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 14, 2016
very interesting experience with substantial change over a short period. Each individual should make their own decision regarding their own experinces
It has a been a better experience then previous camps
Red Seal Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 29, 2016
The camp has better rooms, private bathrooms, and food was satisfactory. There is not much of a gym to exercise in however.
Difficult to advance
Specialist III, Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 5, 2015
No room for advancement through training. Always tight on money. Insane corporate culture and process. A silo mentality abounds. Everyone in I.T. too paranoid about their jobs to share helpful information. Executive management doesn't give a "care" for the users at the desk. It's all about lining their pockets and screw the rest.
Pros
Immediate Mangers
Cons
Executive Management
Okay place to work
Project Management Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 9, 2016
Could have a more focused approach to work by the management. Higher management not focused on people growth in the organization.