AECOM Employee Reviews in Canada

Good company to work with and advance your career with
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABAugust 30, 2015
A typical day begins at 5:00 am and ends around 6:00 pm. Through my 4.5 years experience with URS, I have developed my construction knowledge as well as learned how to deal with various types of people from co-workers, construction management and Clients and their representatives. The hardest part of this job was the amount of travel and the remoteness of the job site (Northern Alberta) and I spent entirely too much time away from home and my family. The most enjoyable part of my job with URS was the ever changing face of the job as we progressed through the project. Every new challenge taught me more construction practises and solutions to various construction issues that arose.
Pros
Great compensation, good benefits, rewarding work
Cons
Long hours, excessive travel involved
Difficult to advance
Specialist III, Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 5, 2015
No room for advancement through training. Always tight on money. Insane corporate culture and process. A silo mentality abounds. Everyone in I.T. too paranoid about their jobs to share helpful information. Executive management doesn't give a "care" for the users at the desk. It's all about lining their pockets and screw the rest.
Pros
Immediate Mangers
Cons
Executive Management
Different field to enhance career with balanced life style
Civil/structural Engineering (Former Employee) –  canadaOctober 18, 2015
AECOM is a company who deal with its expertise in various area including Civil, Infrastructure, oil and Gas,Building Construction and management, Urban Planning and Design and so many others. It value their employees and their career path with family requirement. It serve best services with excellent quality within the timeline and budget. It has highly experienced professional to handle all kind of huge level of projects including Bridge design, Building Construction and all.

It would my pleasure if I get and opportunity to serve my expertise, ideas and handwork.I will always keen to grab any opportunity to work with this firm.
AECOM
Project Controls Assistant (Current Employee) –  ManitobaSeptember 28, 2015
I have appreciated my time with the company AECOM.
I received many raises throughout my time with the company as recognition for my hard work and dedication which highly motivated me to strive for higher results.
When I received my promotion into the Project Controls Assistant I began advancing my skills and the management on site was very supportive and compassionate.
Pros
On the job training and recognition for hard work
Cons
Job security upon project completion
oil based company, low amount of work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 9, 2016
The day would start off with a tailgate meeting with a weekly safety meeting every Wednesday. I learned on the job the different types of drill pipe. Management was a stickler for keeping records precise. My fellow co-workers we a great bunch of people to work with. The hardest part of the day was trying to find a location for incoming stock, there was such a lack of space in the yard. The best part of the day was when you got congratulated on a great job.
Pros
The safety meetings
Cons
lack of space in the yard
Co-workers and other tradespeople were easy to work with
3rd year apprentice, welder (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 19, 2016
As long as it was a productive day at work and able to go home safe at the end of the shift, then it was a good day. Structural GF & the Pipefitter's GF were awesome guys to work for because they cared about the input of the people working underneath them. They knew that a happy crew was a safe & productive crew! Hardest part of the job, was watching people with families being laid off....On the account of management bidding aggressively on jobs!
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management hasn't changed their way of thinking about employees or the business
excellent company
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABOctober 21, 2015
Great management team to work with no pressure and lots of encouragement and praise - the best times were here when it was URS but changes came with AECOM
Pros
Great working atmosphere with co-workers and Management
Cons
none to mention
Large Company
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
Good client list with opportunity to work on diverse projects across the globe. Good learning experience and work-life balance.
Very much enjoyed working for them.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Husky SunriseMarch 8, 2016
Enjoyed the Team I was with, all the guys were great. There was nothing wrong with management and they paid within the industry standard. It was a positive experience. To bad the price of oil is what it is.
Pros
Could walk to the office and we had our own bathrooms in camp.
fast paced work
Procurement/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 10, 2016
everyday was like a new day, new problems, new orders, constant learning - on the job training. I developed my Microsoft skills further. improved on my data entry. Co workers made it a joy to come to work on a daily basis.
Pros
co workers
Cons
salary
A well-managed company that values it's employees.
Site SCM Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Typical on-site industrial construction in the oil and gas sector.
Management was well represented and receptive. My co-workers were professional and respectful. The hardest part of the job was when there was no more work. (industry-wide economic downturn).
Pros
Management cares about it's people.
Cons
Other than factors beyond it's control (ie: industry slow-down)....none.
Productive, Fun workplace
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 7, 2016
I was hard worker in my team which includes Service Desk\Desktop team. The work environment was fun and friendly through years I worked there. The IT Department was very small when I started working in Flint\AECOM and then grew to big team and I grew with the team. I have gained lots of hands-on and technical experience through 10 years working in AECOM. I always was motivated to go to work every single day and to meet the challenges.
Pros
Friendly, Resourceful, educational
Cons
Not much room to grow
Productive workplace
Recruitment Administrator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Work with team ensuring all daily tasks are met
I learnt the recruitment process and what steps were taken to new hires
Management was well involved in ensuring the employees needs were met
Coworkers were very friendly an helpful in general
Hardest part of the job was very repetative
Most enjoyable part of the job was working in a professional enviroment
Pros
Working in professional enviroment
Cons
Repetitive work
complexity and size of project
Contract Administrator and Site Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2016
perform inspections, take photo and upload, check emails, communicate with site super and trades, write report, phone conversation and report work quality and progress, review drawings and spec, monitor tests, process invoices, study contract changes, communicate to co-workers about work and life,
The hardest part of job was arguing with contractor about quality and negotiate claims.
The most enjoyable part was work progress and learning new methods of work and familiarization with trades
Pros
flexibility to manage your time between different tasks
Cons
speding unpaid time to drive to job site
Amazing Boss, Great Team
Corporate Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2015
While working at URS I had an amazing boss and the team I worked with was like a little family. Everyone was ready and willing to support eachother. Unfortunately after being with the company for over four years I made the decision to leave the role I was in for better compensation.
Pros
Travel
Cons
lack of work life balance and low compensation
Tough times? Sell the farm. That's their motto
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 14, 2016
Lots of promises of advancement and development, but when the times get tough, they sell the farm. Our office went from 2 storeys and ~40 people to 1 floor and 8 people in 6 months.

I get that it's tough times, but this company loves talking about how employees come first, and we value our employees. Something doesn't add up.

When it was good, it was great! But you quickly see your worth at the slightest sign of decline.
Great Company, could use better management
Registered Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 8, 2016
At the time i was working for URS energy now AECOM. They kept me busy with challenging tasks that helped me along with my electrical apprenticeship. Management could use some help, if you weren't part of their inner circle, you suffered.
I didn't like working at AECOM
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 28, 2016
When AECOM took over Flint URS there got to be too many people thinking that they were in charge when they weren't. They started to fire everyone that had been there for a long time and began hiring people that were family members of the company and refusing others. They began hiring people that didn't know how to do their jobs.
Good Experience
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2016
They Gave me the opportunity to try new things and responsibility to do things on my own which allowed me to learn a lot more than at previous jobs. The supervision was also excellent, it is a well managed company.
Pros
co workers
Cons
worst pay I've ever seen.
Lacks integrity
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 6, 2015
Speaking from the Saskatchewan area only. If you are an electrician looking for a job and not a career that's all aecom is. Forget about your future the project managers walk all over you. Basically a company where the field worker is treated like the lowest form on the earth. Managers forget that field are the ones that bring the money to their pocket. I suggest you keep looking for work and keep aecom away from electrical all together. They are ruining our rights as electricians.