ACM Facility Safety, a division of ACM Automation Inc., is Canada’s leading independent consulting and technology provider in the fields of Process/Functional Safety Management, Risk Assessment and Process Safety Lifecycle services. Over the last 15 years, operating from our head office in Calgary, ACM has helped some of the world’s largest operating and engineering companies become self-sufficient leaders and ambassadors for Functional Safety.
ACM presently requires a Project Lead –Functional Safety Engineer / Technologist to lead a team of employees who are passionate about process safety, exhibit attention to detail and provide excellence in project delivery.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced automation safety professional who has demonstrated experience assessing and implementing Safety Instrumented Systems or Process Safety Management activities in a variety of fields (petrochemical, gas, pipeline, heavy oil, fertilizer, mining, utilities). Across your career you have up to 5 years of experience focused on the design and implementation of SIS Systems or Process Safety Systems in the Oil and Gas industry. Over your career you have exhibited strong team leadership skills and are adept at taking a project from concept to completion.
You have demonstrated a passion for process/functional safety and are keen to elevate your career in Process Safety Management through innovation and a mind set of continuous improvement with a world leader in the rapidly evolving fields of Process/Functional Safety. To match you accomplishments you have obtained TÜV-SIS Functional Safety Engineer accreditation or the equivalent across your career.
We want an engineer or technologist who is a leader and can drive results while fostering strong relationships with clients, regulatory bodies and industry leaders. Ultimately, if you are innovative, passionate about process safety, a trustworthy mentor and a reliable leader you have the character, motivation and capabilities we need.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide project management and team leadership to:
- Develop and analyze control system requirements for existing and new facilities (i.e. petrochemical plants, pipelines and utilities).
- Evaluate existing/new control systems for reliability, availability, life cycle, testing procedures, maintenance and operating procedures.
- Analyze specifications for safety and control systems; produce block diagrams; propose control systems & instruments bus architectures; incorporate review comments into design requirements.
- Complete and report on SIL Determination and Validation Studies and Safety Requirements Specifications.
- Evaluate process control and safety system alternatives; prepare preliminary cost estimates; prepare reports with recommendations.
Education and Qualification:
- Engineering degree or Engineering Technologist diploma with I & C background.
- TÜV-SIS Functional Safety Engineer accreditation or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in control systems.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience focused on the design and implementation of SIS systems in the Oil and Gas industry.
- Strong narrative, procedure writing, and presentation skills.
- Able to work in an office environment and at remote sites.
- Entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (written and oral), proactive, organized, self motivated.
- Long term career interest in Functional Safety Engineering/Process Safety Engineering.
- Team Leadership and Project Management.
- Experience in petrochemical, gas, pipeline, heavy oil, fertilizer, mining and utilities.
- Engineering and design experience with control systems & programming (i.e.: DCS, PLC, SIS).
- Hands on experience with operations, maintenance and engineering functions at plant sites is an asset.
- Generation of loop drawings, instrument specifications, and cable schedules, etc.
- Control panels design and control network architecture.
- Technical writing and presentations.
- Experience in development of shutdown keys, instrument systems, and fire & gas system.
- Vendor experience with ICSTriplex, Triconex and other SIS systems is an asset.
- Commissioning & start-up of SIS systems.
- Developed Safety Requirements Specifications, completed SIL Validation analysis and Safety Instrument Specifications.
- Participated in HAZOP and/or SIL Determination/ Layer of Protection Analysis studies.
- Knowledge or participation in Risk Assessment/reduction/acceptance studies/ Risk assessment techniques is an asset.
- Produced/assessed tolerability and ALARP arguments for clients – Not mandatory but would be an asset to this position.
- Familiar with recognized standards and procedures (ie. IEC 61511/61508 and ISA 84.).
- Proficient with the application of safety and general purpose computer tools/software.
- Conducted training courses in the field of Functional Safety, (SIL Determination and SIL Validation) – Not mandatory but would be an asset to this position.
ACM’s overall compensation package offers a competitive wage, a comprehensive Benefits Plan with a Group RRSP, a 4 ½ day work week and a refreshing workplace environment.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest in ACM Facility Safety and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.