Are you an experienced Systems Engineer who gets excited about diving deep and looking at the broader context when solving technical issues? Do you enjoy analyzing and tuning hardware/software configurations, automating manual processes, designing scalable systems and identifying improvements? If you can answer “Yes!” to these questions and you have the skills to succeed in a fast paced e-commerce environment, we’d like to meet you.
AbeBooks.com - part of the Amazon.com group of companies - is looking for a Systems Engineer to work at our headquarters in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. You will work within our small, multi-talented Site Operations team to apply your skills and knowledge in scripting and systems administration to deploy, operate, and scale our global online marketplace.
- Perform operational and administrative activities for system management including diagnosing and correcting complex problems
- Develop scripting and programming for systems administration using one or more of the following: perl, python, ruby, shell
- Focus on metrics acquisition and analysis, including log processing and regular expressions programming
- Implement automated solutions for our infrastructure, working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and other Amazon tool sets
- Effectively monitor performance of systems and work with teams to proactively identify pragmatic solutions
- Analyze and tune hardware/software configurations, automate manual processes, design scalable systems and make recommendations for improvement
- Multitask between site maintenance and project based initiatives.
- On-call pager responsibility for monitoring website, batch processes & infrastructure issues on a rotating basis (on-call rate adjustment provided)
- Work well in a cross-functional team with other members of the Engineering department
- Occasional travel for on-site administration at our remote Data Centre
- 1-3 years of hands-on experience in a Systems Engineer role in a 24/7 online environment
- Knowledge & experience working with Apache, Red Hat, VMware, Tomcat & Unix monitoring tools
- Great communication and interpersonal skills that enable you to work well with technical and business teams
- Hands-on experience with shell scripting and programming
- University/college degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with performance analysis, systems software, systems architecture & design, automation and security best practices
- Experience working in large-scale distributed environments
- Experience with Chef, Puppet or Fabric for deployment automation
- Understanding of messaging protocols and experience with administration of messaging queue products
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies (DNS, LDAP, NFS, FTP, etc.)
- Experience using Amazon Web Services especially EC2, CloudFormation, VPC, CloudWatch, Route 53 & IAM
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. To learn more about this position, or to apply online, please visit www.abebooks.com/careers. We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!
Indeed - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -