Are you an experienced Systems Engineer who gets excited about diving deep and looking at the broader context when solving technical issues? Do you enjoy analyzing and tuning hardware/software configurations, automating manual processes, designing scalable systems and identifying improvements? If you can answer “Yes!” to these questions and you have the skills to succeed in a fast paced e-commerce environment, we’d like to meet you.
AbeBooks.com - part of the Amazon.com group of companies - is looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to work at our headquarters in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. You will work within our small, multi-talented Site Operations team to apply your skills and knowledge in scripting and systems administration to deploy, operate, and scale our global online marketplace.
- Perform operational and administrative activities for system management including diagnosing and correcting complex problems
- Effectively monitor performance of systems and proactively identify pragmatic solutions
- Analyze and tune hardware/software configurations, automate manual processes, design scalable systems and make recommendations for improvement
- Multitask between site maintenance and project based initiatives.
- On-call pager responsibility for monitoring website, batch processes & infrastructure issues on a rotating basis (on-call rate adjustment provided)
- Work well in a cross-functional team with other members of the Engineering department
- Occasional travel for on-site administration at our remote Data Centre
- 5-10 years of hands-on experience in a Systems Engineer role in a 24/7 online environment
- Experience managing large-scale distributed environments
- Advanced knowledge & experience working with UNIX, Apache, RedHat, Solaris, VMWare, Tomcat & Java.
- Experience with performance analysis, systems software, systems architecture & design, automation and security best practices.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills that enable you to mentor & work well with technical and business teams
- Hands-on experience with shell scripting and programming
- University/college degree in Computer Science
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies (DNS, LDAP, NFS, FTP, etc.)
- Understanding of messaging protocols and experience with administration of messaging queue products
- Experience managing Amazon Web Services especially EC2, CloudWatch, Route 53 & IAM
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. To learn more about this position, or to apply online, please visit www.abebooks.com/careers. We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!
Indeed - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard