Do you want to use your software skills where they will have a real impact on the business’s bottom line and the performance of a global online marketplace?
AbeBooks.com – a subsidiary of Amazon.com Inc. – is looking for a junior engineer with a strong sense of ownership and customer focus. If you are excited about the prospect of leveraging technology to address the technical and analytical challenges of running a large scale global marketplace, with thousands of international sellers listing more than 140 million new, used, rare, and out-of-print books, we’d like to meet you.
This position is based at our headquarters in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We also have a European office in Dusseldorf, Germany and from these two locations we run six international web sites: AbeBooks.com, AbeBooks.co.uk, AbeBooks.de, AbeBooks.fr, AbeBooks.it, and IberLibro.com.
As a member of our development team you will build and extend a wide range of systems, from buyer and seller registration, through search and inventory management, to order and payment processing. The diversity of these systems ensures that this position offers a broad and exciting range of technical challenges and opportunities.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Experience developing with Java 5/6
- Solid understanding of OOD/OOP
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Solid background in algorithms and data structures
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to learn quickly and dive deeply to diagnose the root cause of problems
Understanding of the following would also be beneficial:
- Information retrieval and search
- Relational databases and SQL
- Service-oriented architectures
- Agile practices and methodologies such as Test Driven Development and Scrum
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. If you enjoy constantly broadening your technical skills, building software that affects users around the world, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity and product innovation, please check out www.abebooks.com/careers to learn more or to apply online.
We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!