A & W Restaurant

A & W Restaurant Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
.....
Cashier (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: half off lunches, some nice co workers, good fast quality
Cons: bad shift management, wierd crazy shifts, apathetic management
A typical day was cleaning, cashier duties and the definite rush during the morning, lunch and dinner times.

I learned that it's not best to get too close to co workers by watching other interact too closely unfortunately. I learned to always remain calm in sticky situations least it get worse for everyone. Lastly I learned to not lead by the example – more... of others if they themselves don't follow the rules, that I found out the hard way.

The management tried from what I could tell but there didn't seem enough management to me. The Management lied about some things, didn't properly train staff and took to favouritism which became noticeable at points. They took out their frustration on some cashiers and placed blame when blame is a shared situation. One management member even went so far as to alter time cards for those who worked through lunch breaks and did not stop until the head office was called in.

The hardest part isn't the customers but dealing with the negative feedback from others around you. From this I try not to see all the bad in someone and to praise them for their good and try and let them see what might be wrong without pointing any blame directly.

The most enjoyable part was when I just started. They were teaching me things and I enjoyed learning and the new situation and everything but they started to slack on the need to keep training me. I wasn't taught how to cash out my own register at all first and then I was taught one by the assistant manager very sloppily and then properly by the actual owner only when they finally saw how much problems I had since no one formally had done it with me. I did enjoy the co workers for a while until they became too "comfortable" and got lazy I guess. I ended up following their example and it makes me ashamed to have followed in their footsteps like that. – less
My boss is very nice
Cook (Current Employee), Bracebridge, ONFebruary 20, 2014
All my co-workers are nice and it is an enjoyable place to work. They took their time in training and it is a very pleasant environment. I do like working at A & W however, it is a minimum wage, cooking job. With all fast food/counter help jobs you have to work weekends, holidays etc., and I would like to eventually have this time to myself.
started out fun, ended horribly.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: able to text, and i worked with most of my friends.
Cons: didn't like going to work
I used to love working at a&w, the job was fun and the people were really nice and easy to get along with. For the most part everyone was very helpful. Although, there are a lot of things wrong with this place, such as the manager, she acts like she is a 15 year old gossiping girl and will tell everyone anything to get an argument brewed.
Great place to work; very flexible and good place to learn teamwork skills.
Kitchen Staff/Cook (Former Employee), Brandon, MBAugust 5, 2013
Pros: flexible scheduling; opportunities for learning and advancement
A typical day at work was fast-paced - never boring. I learned to pay close attention to detail, to think and act on the spot, and the importance of following safety and health requirements. Management was very understanding when I had to reduce my hours to pay more attention to my studies (during my Grade 12 year). The most enjoyable part of the job – more... was interacting with my coworkers; it was a very busy, fast-paced restaurant, but I enjoyed the people I worked with. – less
wasn't treated well.
Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 28, 2013
Pros: free drinks on shift.
I was working there for about 7 months before they stopped giving me hours so I had to leave.
Love to spend time at work
Front Service Crew (Current Employee), BCSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: 50% discount for employee's meal
Cons: dealing with teenage co workers is kind of tough
I love working at A&W where i get a chance to serve and meet new and same faces everyday. I have learn to deal with different kind of personalities same to the customers and co workers. The hardest part of my job is when theres no enough staff to work on a particular shift that makes everything in mess and embarrassing. Most fun and enjoyable time for – more... me is working with responsible co worker. – less
Review
COOK (Former Employee), CanadaAugust 6, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short hours
productive and they welcome newcomer and teach them how to work easily
Productive place to work
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Orangeville , OntarioJuly 24, 2012
I utilized inventory skills . Prepared produce every day according to health regulations. Prepared food according to customers requests. Dealt with situations with customers on a daily basis. Hired as produce person , but quickly moved up to Grill person.