A&W Employee Reviews

good teamwork both staff and management but stressfull sometimes.
Cashier/Manager (Former Employee) –  vancouver,bcAugust 13, 2015
love working to this company for 18 years but lately I found it's very stressfull working as a manager and working fulltime cashier at the same time.
Pros
love meeting and serving customers..working with a good crew.
Cons
very long hours, too much resposibilities
Line Cook
Line Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ONAugust 7, 2015
Fast paced environment, decent staff although there were lazy people unwilling to pull their weight and consistently looking for scapegoats to blame for their shortcomings,
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Cranky staff
not bad
Customer service (Current Employee) –  truroAugust 7, 2015
favouritism in this place is outrageous.. the worst part is the boss doesnt even realise its happening.. they are a very nice person and easy to talk to but they def have their favs
Kitchen experience
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCAugust 6, 2015
- 8+ hours, 5-7 days a week
- more than half the time worked morning shifts starting at 6 AM and ending at 2:30 PM
- would begin by preparing the kitchen for the day by making sure there was the correct amount of product for the specific time as well as preparing other products
- work mostly consisted of cooking and serving food throughout the day, and cleaning up the kitchen when not busy
- learned how to multitask to a high degree, and complete tasks quickly as well as efficiently
- management staff was very friendly and insightful, although they were prone to mistakes, specifically regarding schedules. In my year of working there, my schedule had been completely wrong 4 times
Pros
50% off of one purchase during a shift
Cons
Stressful
Taking orders and serving them as quick and efficient as possible.
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCJuly 29, 2015
It was a stressful environment but with welcoming clients and employees. There was always a lot of work to be done but it was simple, and there were rarely long rushes. The schedule for every week was reliable but i got the longest and heavy shifts. I was given two overnight shifts per week, meaning from 11pm-6am, friday and saturday night.
Pros
Discounts for our lunch breaks, great entourage.
Cons
overnight shifts.
very innovative and friendly workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  saskatchewanJuly 21, 2015
Multi-tasking
Performance under pressure
very nice, hard working
and
friendly environment to work
Staff Meal and other incentives include health and safety
Great co-wokers
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 16, 2015
I worked here for several years, I've seen this restaurant go from top 5 in the country, only to watch it crumble to the bottom. I found that opening the new locations under the same owners made it so that the owners forgot about our location. Despite my trying to keep the staff motivated and keep up with our service times, it still wasn't enough. There was a time near the end of my employment where the new store manager had cut my hours. When I tried to approach her to ask why my hours had been cut and see what I could do to improve I was simply given very vague answers from her, and the owner. The staff I worked with was always fantastic, but the management was falling apart near the end of my time there.
Pros
Fantastic staff
Cons
Bad management
Duties are clear, good workplace.
Cook (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at the back requires you to cook, clean and organize the stocks. Sanitation is required throughout the shift.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tight space
Awesome
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, ABJuly 15, 2015
my days were usually 10-12 hours long. It was an awesome job. Worked with a great team. Hardest part of the job was to leave
unprofessional
Kitchen/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 13, 2015
Nothing was consistent when it come to cleaning, and cooking. The amount of work that was done depended on who was working and whether or not the big boss was in. Timers were not set regularly and food was keep past the given time.
My Job at A&W
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJuly 9, 2015
I really enjoy being a short order cook. I enjoy working with my co-workers and being a team player. I really like working with the public and making people happy.
Not Bad. Good People
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 3, 2015
Not bad, good people to work with; much like a family.
Its an easy job but fast paced at some times.
a typical day would consist of helping out in the kitchen or up front depends on where needed.
the relaxed atmosphere is pretty great.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
managment not assertive enough
Average fast-food job
Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor ONJune 27, 2015
Typical fast-food job. Morning shifts are slowest and allow for the best work-life balance. Emphasis on speed. Kitchen work preferable to front counter.
Pros
Reduced price food
Cons
Variable schedule
Very great work place with an amazing manager and team
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winkler, MBJune 24, 2015
I recommend this job especially to students. If you want flexible hours, special offers and a great working environment then this is a place for you.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
It is a okay place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2015
Not a bad place to work. Usually crowded during holidays and weekends. Customers are generally friendly and the management is alright. The place always smells very strong.
Fun For Students
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 9, 2015
I had a lot of fun working here. Made a couple friends and was promoted quickly. Although it didn't work out I dont regret working there. We had a lot of fun and still got work done. Open environment where if you have a problem you are encouraged to talk it out.I wasn't prepared for the responsibility and lack of free time i would have once i was promoted to supervisor. That's where The job fell apart for me. I encourage any student to give it a shot.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Problem Free Environment.
Cons
Not enough pay for responsibility.
A Typical Day
Chef (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJune 8, 2015
Well, a typical day at A&W starts with the heat. It is extremely hot in the kitchen during the summers and even other parts of the year, everyday. You punch in and wash your hands, get assigned which station your on and where you'll be moving if you do at all. What I learned at A&W that was the most important was respect, no matter who you are, where you come from, or how much money you make,
you have to have respect for everyone. The management was alright but to be completely honest, at times I felt the team could have been pushed more to move higher up within the company more. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the orders when your tired or have someone on your team that isn't keeping up with you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was defiantly the time spent talking with co-workers and building relationships with them.
Pros
Good job culture, half price on meals, free soda drink during work.
Cons
Short hours, inconsistent hours, no breaks on 5 hr shifts, hot in the kitchen.
easy going work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJune 5, 2015
At this job it wasn't as much of a learning opportunity it was more of a brush up on my cashier skills. cashier work is not new to me and dealing with customers isn't either. The one thing I would say I've learned from working there was how to deal with customers short tempers A&W is a fast food place and things tend to get busy. management could have definitely improved. I strongly believe that a supervisor or store manager position needs to be put in place to assist the store owner.
Good people great environment, not much room to grow.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 28, 2015
I like working for A&W and I liked the people I worked with. I didn't like that it was next to impossible to get promoted. I also didn't like how hard it was to get the benefits that were mentioned when I applied and was being hired.
Pros
50% discount, flexible schedule.
Cons
Stagnant, repetitive, thankless
Fun place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  StettlerMay 24, 2015
Staff are fun to work with, easy to get along with, i enjoy working there. However, I'm not getting the hours i need,

Atmosphere is fast paced and i still manage to get done all the things required by the end of the night
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay rate and hours