A&W Employee Reviews

Good place to learn for a first job experience
Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 28, 2014
I worked with all ages of staff members. Trained many new staff members for their first job experience. Learned how to deal with dissatisfied customers. Always started work at least 15 minutes before shift started and 15 minuted after shift ended. Some of the management were nice to work with and listened to your concerns but like some others jobs there are some managers who did what is required of them and that's all. Some days the hardest part of my job was trying to do some extra work that was asked of me on top of my daily work load. I think the most enjoyable part of my day is that most of my customers were very friendly to me. I am a people person and would do a little extra make make my customers happy and willing to come back.
Pros
supervisors and management recieved free meals
Cons
not getting cost of living increases each year
It's an enjoyable place to work.Since we have lots of Regular customers and we knew them by names.
SUPERVISOR/ FOOD COUNTER ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTJune 10, 2013
A normal typical day at work in A&W is seeing regular customers with their usual orders. Sometimes they don't need to talk because their orders just comes in the tray automatically. It's fun and enjoying job, especially all co-workers get along so well. If there's not much customers, as a Supervisor I instruct staff who is capable of doing detailed cleaning. One of the most challenging part working in this type of job is during the time when we are short staff. I will try to phone in someone to come in and cover. But then if there is none available, I make sure everyone is positioned "aces in their places" and I don't tie myself in one position, so I can bounce front and back.
Pros
employee discounts, insurance for full time workers, free uniform
Cons
long hours of standing.
great work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Working at A&W as an Assistant Manager for 5 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavorable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
Free meal, health benefits
Cons
less work/life balance
Recommend
Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagra OnJune 2, 2014
A&W is a wonderful work place only problems is not all A&W's are the same but the one i worked at the staff was friendly my boss was very flexible and the hours were really good depending on your motivation for example if your like me where i work 2-3 tomes a week and work 5-6 hours i walk out with 200-400$ or if you like working all day everyday well you gonna have a lot of money but you will be sweaty from the heat the grill and deep-fry make and all the heavy boxes of frozen meat and fries but besides that everything is really good although what i am about to say all depends on where the location of your A&W is like a group of teens were harassing me for my pay check but being at my physical strength i just scared them off but all in all it is a very great place to work and its a great way to make friends with people
Pros
half off food and free soft drinks
Cons
very sweaty and hot
Fast paced environment,clean restaurant
Team Trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2012
My typical day at work was serving customers, maintaining the front including the staff and customers. I have learned how to multitask,how to sanitize the milk shake machine, hot chocolate machine, how to restart a debit machine. Most of all how to and what I think is very in today's economy is to give friendly service. Majority of the management was easy to work with on a day to day basis and friendly, except one lady. My co-workers were easy to get a long with friendly and very trainable. Hardest part of the job was training 3 trainees all in one day. Most enjoyable was the smiles of the customers, and getting a wonderful compliment from either your customers or your management and getting mystery shopped.
Pros
40% off when on shift, 20% when off shift, birthdays
Cons
long commute
love to make food and enjoy to delite customers :)
Restaurant supervisor (Former Employee) –  bramptonDecember 2, 2014
I remember M S day at store it was so busy and i did not get time to even drink a glass of water for couple of hours.We had pre- planned preparation for that.All the kitchen staff and front staff was so excited Had a lot of pressure,but with every passing hour everything went smooth

I learned a lot when store gets busier, time management plays crucial role.Every little work should be done in time.

Management was so helpful and co-operative
Co -workers were so professional or worked as a team
Learning time as a trainee everything was new,so that was hard
Customer service and when its gets busier it was fun specially on Christmas eve because A&W never close on Christmas eve and on Christmas
Pros
got experience in a customer service
Cons
hectic schedule
Productive workplace with great coworkers
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Comber, ONSeptember 27, 2013
Typical day would be show up for my closing shift which would usually be 5 o'clock start to 11 pm finish time. During this time dinner rush would be between 530 and 8. Afterwards or during i would clean up machinery used during the day and shut down anything that did not need to be used. Management always listened to your needs and wants and worked hard to achieving those goals. My co-workers were fun and very easy to get along with. Hardest part was days when there were only 2 of us working and we would get a large rush due to a power outage or travelling family's and workers or large community events. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers because we connected well and made each other laugh and smile.
Pros
40% discount on food
Cons
worked almost every weekend
A&W
Store Front cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work started with working with customers and ended with cleaning the entire store and doing dishes.

I learned how to handle money as well as work with customers and get the job done quickly and with good quality.

Management, though some people in management were focused on who is going to get assistant manager to the point they didn't matter who they went through to get it. There where only two supervisors that I could trust.

The co-workers that I had were very fun to work with and always helped me if I where to struggle.

The hardest part of the job was working with people who treated me in a very rude way.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new skills to take me further in the future.
Pros
discounts
Cons
long hours and very judgemental people
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2014
i really have a bad experience in A&W while i was working there, the manager are super strict with just the tiniest of all mistake. i learn nothing from there because of that manager that has bad attitude towards its employees which i don't blame her if she's just doing it for company's sake, but i thinks its too much. the co-workers are great to talk with not just the manager that is being snub thinking mighty and high. the hardest part of the job is where the manager is there and watch every inch of your move and just standing there while its busy and talking to phone while he/she saw its too busy. the most enjoyable part of the job where the manager isnt at the store where we could do/ handle the job better.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long, hours, low pay, snub manager
Great co-wokers
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 16, 2015
I worked here for several years, I've seen this restaurant go from top 5 in the country, only to watch it crumble to the bottom. I found that opening the new locations under the same owners made it so that the owners forgot about our location. Despite my trying to keep the staff motivated and keep up with our service times, it still wasn't enough. There was a time near the end of my employment where the new store manager had cut my hours. When I tried to approach her to ask why my hours had been cut and see what I could do to improve I was simply given very vague answers from her, and the owner. The staff I worked with was always fantastic, but the management was falling apart near the end of my time there.
Pros
Fantastic staff
Cons
Bad management
Kitchen experience
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCAugust 6, 2015
- 8+ hours, 5-7 days a week
- more than half the time worked morning shifts starting at 6 AM and ending at 2:30 PM
- would begin by preparing the kitchen for the day by making sure there was the correct amount of product for the specific time as well as preparing other products
- work mostly consisted of cooking and serving food throughout the day, and cleaning up the kitchen when not busy
- learned how to multitask to a high degree, and complete tasks quickly as well as efficiently
- management staff was very friendly and insightful, although they were prone to mistakes, specifically regarding schedules. In my year of working there, my schedule had been completely wrong 4 times
Pros
50% off of one purchase during a shift
Cons
Stressful
fun workplace but not so good management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2014
summer time is the busiest time of work. we have the one of the best burgers. i worked 4-5 times a week during classes. I've learned how to manage time wisely and efficiently. i enjoyed working with my teammates and we enjoy going out for at least once a month
. the management of the store was not my expectations before working there. the hardest part of the job I've experienced was when just the 2 of us working in the restaurant during breakfast and then long line came. i almost cry because i can hear lots of whining but then i and my coworker survived that. i just enjoyed wrking there because i met new friends and they are fun with.
Pros
50% off for daily meal. free drinks
Cons
bad management
one of the managers had a big clique with a number of the other employees, did not really like me although I worked very hard for the company
Full-Time Prep and Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 26, 2014
opening the restaurant at 6 a.m. for breakfast, making orders for walkins and drive thru, cooking made to order breakfasts, learned that some people really don't know the meaning of expired food, the manager was very rude and condescending but the owners were really nice people, most co-workers were in the clique and got away with alot, dealing with co-workers who were completely useless to the team, the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was done for the day
Pros
half price lunches, really great owners
Cons
management was not the best, improper food safety practices
Fun, productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  winnipeg manitobaOctober 7, 2015
A&W was a clean fun workplace, there were not many employees so it made it easy to interact with all of them. My employer made it fun to work there, it was a very friendly environment where customers enjoyed coming to eat and interact with us. I came to know many customers on a personal level and enjoyed speaking to them about their days. The restaurant was always kept very clean as it was one of my duties to clean tables, mop floors/sweep and clean windows, the cleanliness made it enjoyeable for customers to eat in. Working at A&W was an enjoyable expieriance and it was always exciting coming into work each day to learn and do new tasks.
Pros
Discount on product, excellent managment
Cons
late closes
Productive and fun, fast pace, work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCMay 23, 2014
A&W was an enjoyable place to work at. Manager and staff were all fun and easy-going. Very quick paced and sometimes a little stressful. The most enjoyable part about working there was the team. They were always able to recognize and acknowledge when you were doing a good job. The hardest part was definitely when lunch time started and everyone was stressed out and running around the kitchen trying to get things done. Overall, everyone worked really well together and always pulled through in the end. I didn't personally love working in the kitchen, due to the fact it was always so hot and greasy, but I would always recommend it to anyone who enjoys those kinds of things!
not bad
Counter and Kitchen Staff and Manager (Current Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 13, 2015
A typical day at work is me opening counter, the customers pouring in at 7 am, if its monday i count all the stock in store, if its tuesday or friday once 9 am hits either me or another staff member count and put the stock away from the GFS order. The co-workers are pretty meh, some are great some are not. same like the usual workplace, although recently the new staff seems to not care about anything at all and have low standards for their job. The worst part? People in a bad mood. The Best part? The regular customers and when people are in a great mood, the job is fun then and i love my regulars.
Pros
the nice people you meet
Cons
the pay and occasionally staff. its fast food, what do you expect
produtive workplace
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee) –  innisfail, abMarch 11, 2015
assistant manager and his family were very rude people, the only way they were allowed to keep there jobs was because of the assistant manager. they had caused tons and tons of drama resulting in me believing that it was my time to go. I really enjoyed my job besides, it felt like a big family with the kind of people that worked there, being able to joke and laugh while still getting our job done, however I felt like I was being taken advantage of. I was just getting out of high school and he wouldn't guarantee that the next year I would have a full time position, so I didn't feel secure.
Pros
employees were pretty great
Cons
drama with managements family, evenings were always shortstaffed
Positive Climate
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioMarch 24, 2013
Grew a lot from working at A&W, especially as my second job. I climbed from being a regular staff member on cash, to a fully trained Supervisor; able to work any position. There were many lovely people to work with who all helped to improve the quality and climate of the store.
I enjoyed being a Supervisor, especially working my way up. The best part of my job was the hard work and multitasking that kept me moving. The staff were also my favourite part of the job. Their positive outlook and hard work helped improve the store, and helped everyone work harder as a whole.
Pros
one free meal
Cons
having to drive to other stores to pick up product, drama between management/staff, double shifts.
It was a satisfactory job for gaining experience in the cooking industry
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 25, 2012
I began work with preparation work: filtered deep fryers oils, cooked bacon, made breakfast, lunch and dinners, cleaned, sanitized workplace. I learned how to cook for a restaurant for the first-time, which is a skill that took awhile to obtain. Management was minor to satisfactory: the owners would visit once every week. Co-workers were enjoyable to be around with and they were very effective with their duties. The hardest part of the job was getting too hot too easily, especially when cooking. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the co-workers.
Pros
mall hours
Cons
smelled like greasy burgers when i got home
Typical Day At Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, ONApril 28, 2014
A typical day at work would be prepping for the day (i.e chopping lettuce, onions, tomatoes), then I would set up the drive- thru and counter positions. My work day was fast paced, and enjoyable. My co-workers, and management were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job would be learning how to work a machine I did not fully understand however, after a few times being shown and asking questions for clarification I picked up on the ins and outs of the equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the customers walk out with a smile even if they came in upset.
Pros
welcoming, and understanding team members
Cons
lack of productive communication between co-workers