A&W Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good people great environment, not much room to grow.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMay 28, 2015
Pros: 50% discount, flexible schedule.
Cons: Stagnant, repetitive, thankless
I like working for A&W and I liked the people I worked with. I didn't like that it was next to impossible to get promoted. I also didn't like how hard it was to get the benefits that were mentioned when I applied and was being hired.
Fun place to work
Cook (Current Employee), StettlerMay 24, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Pay rate and hours
Staff are fun to work with, easy to get along with, i enjoy working there. However, I'm not getting the hours i need,

Atmosphere is fast paced and i still manage to get done all the things required by the end of the night
One of the best work enviroments I have ever seen
Cook (Current Employee), Carleton Place, OnMay 22, 2015
A&W says that you are more than a team, you are a family and this is so true at this location. Shifts fly by as it is very enjoyable to be at work because people always get along and work together to get the task at hand complete.
Good environment, clean
Fry Cook (Former Employee), Truro, NSMay 17, 2015
Very clean, staff could be nice and more accepting. Not enough hours at all. Hardest part was dealing with the co-workers who would make fun of you.
Meals are half price for employees
FOOD SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee), Yorkton, SaskatchewanMay 13, 2015
Pros: Meals were half price, pop was free.
Cons: the need for speedy service sucked
Co-workers were great to work with, management was not very understanding, The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting, on a typical day you have to be fast on getting the orders out as quick as possible in which would cause problems with the service times which was always an issue. The most joy able part was conversation with customers.
productive and enjoyed work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Macleod AbMay 13, 2015
Always on the go, never sat around
learned how to deal with different people
Aways had a great time with co-workers.
Management was good when you needed something
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different people
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), London, ONMay 7, 2015
Pros: Discounted food, great environment
Cons: Hot kitchen, greasy
Working at A&W has been a great experience to learn customer service and safe/fast food preparation. It can get stressful when it is extremely busy.
Generic minimum wage job, no room for moving up.
Cook (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 30, 2015
work is lively as employees always have fun working together, but it is at the cost of productivity. Most employees take large shortcuts and teach other employees to do so as well.
Staff were fun and helpful when present.
Cashier (Former Employee), Thompson, MBApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great discount on meals
Cons: Late weekends
I got along in my environment and staff always seemed to enjoy my presence so I felt very welcome coming into work. The customers always seemed respectful as ever and the overall environment was always calm. It helped me become more accustomed to such conditions like being in company's presence and always being respectful. Managers were always influencial to be a happy worker and really helped unify staff. All co-workers were great help and can show the ropes clearly. The hardest part of the job was always finding something to do. When the store was quiet there were always things to do in the back. Not always in the front. Which meant walking back and forth often for me. Overall coming into work everyday and being known as someone as a part of the crew was the most enjoyable thing I looked at. The staff really made me feel like I fit in.
Good Experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2015
It was good experience working in a&w and co-workers were helpful. My confidence level improved and i also know how to handle customers .
hard but fun
Cashier/Customer service/supervisor (Former Employee), mississaugaApril 29, 2015
not a easy job, was fun tho, do miss it. but need bigger and better things............................................................
not bad
CASHIER (Former Employee), edmontonApril 29, 2015
worked there for long time. learneed alot from this company about customer service. friendly co workers. loved management very helpfull
Great workplace, terrific employees.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 29, 2015
The best thing about working at A&W was the employees. Everyone treated each other like a family and worked together very well. Everyone knew the job they had and completed it successfully each day. A typical day at work would be alternating between the counter to the food shoot (Packing orders/Serving orders), to working at drive-thru. Handling cash, packing orders and taking orders is usually what a shift would consist of.
a great place to start for students especially!
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCApril 27, 2015
a typical day at work is most importantly prepping food for expecting customers, ive learned how to create a more enjoyable work climate. management was great, they are very flexible with your personal schedule. co-workers are amazing and make work more enjoyable. the hardest part of the job is during busy rushes, you have to stay focused to to ensure the customers receive their food fast and ready. the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing customers satisfaction with our service.
Fun and productive
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: sometimes free food
Cons: Long hours
A typical day would be to serve customers, clean up the dining area, and prepare the food.
I learned how to handle cash in a cashier position, how to cook certain meals, how to treat customers etc.
Management was really well. It was easy to communicate with them and negotiate work hours.
Co-workers were fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job is to handle multiple responsibilities at once due to the lack of staff sometimes.
The most enjoyable part was cooking the food.
productive work place
Cashier (Current Employee), point claire qcApril 21, 2015
hard to motivate yourself to go to work.Some employees are fun to work with others not so much.hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the orders and its very hard to communicate with the coks in the back
Nice coworkers
Cook (Former Employee), ScarboroughApril 20, 2015
Pros: 50% off a meal during your shift
Cons: Strict close minded managers
When you get hired at A&W, you are made to do these online NET training modules, which are very intensive and informative. There is about 28 of them and each one takes between 15-25 minutes. At the end of each module you take a quiz and if you don't get 100% you have to do it again. In total the modules take about 5.5-6 hours. You are told that you get paid for 3 hours of the modules (even though it takes a couple hours more). My first day I was scheduled for 3 hours in which I spent 1 hour signing papers and doing more quizzes. Then I was put on the fry station. The most frustrating thing about working at A&W is they have beepers for everything, so you are constantly hearing loud and annoying beeping. Most procedures you learn doing the modules are followed in the store, some not. The management is very strict and not very open minded (at least at the Scarborough town centre). Been working in kitchens (fast food, pubs and gormet lounges) for over 3 years and got scolded for not using the beeper/timer when making French fries (I think I know by now when friench fries are cooked). You get 50% off of 1 meal and you are not allowed to take it home, you have to eat it during your shift time/break. You can't drink more than a tiny cone cup of water or pop at once. I was told that bringing a bottle of water into the kitchen is looked down upon and to leave it at the back or hide it in the corner when the manager is there.
here it is
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 19, 2015
Depends on what store you work at. the first store i worked at was amazing, we all bonded, we were like a family. yea, there were a few days where i hated the thought of going to work but when i got there, it was never a regret.

now, today. well, the store i am at now, something i am not use to. i guess i just have to adjust to not being the one to call the shots any more.

anyhow, a&w is a good place to work. they have been good to me.
i was young and loved the job
Cook (Former Employee), Saint John, NBApril 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no cons
very busy day...start breakfast getting everything ready and cooking as per order...switching over to lunch cooking orders as per order...learned to work well with others and at a fast pace...management was great...co-workers were very good to work with(had lots of laughs) no hard parts in this job...very relaxed atmosphere.
Nice workplace, very inconvenient work hours
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
Pros: half off meals
Cons: really really bad work shift
I would regularly be placed cashier from the hours of 11pm to 4 am. Very inconvenient for commute and not safe seeing I was the only one in the crew to leave alone this shift, while everyone stayed till 7 am.