A&W Employee Reviews

Its Okay
cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Great place to work with great management. Schedules are flexible and easy to change, given early notice. Very clean. Sometimes the staff can get lazy and the manager will not pay attention. The franchisee manager is the only reason the people there even work.
Pros
50% off employee deal
Cons
No employee discipline
not a good store
Graveyard/Front End/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 5, 2016
did not follow the policies of a&w no one was easy to work with training was almost not there. two day of training and here run graveyards. i my opinion not a good workplace
Great fast food job
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABFebruary 4, 2016
You will be treated great if you are a hard working individual. Supervisors are nice and always positive. Overall your hours are depicted by your overall work ethics.
Shenanigans
Crew member; Part-time kitchen (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJanuary 19, 2016
There was a longstanding joke at my work about a ghost that haunted the restaurant and caused a lot of minor inconveniences. We had a lot of fun trying to figure out the identity of the ghost, anywhere from my roommate, to regulars, to the manager, to even at one point one of the cows that we'd served up to customers.

This is not to say we didn't get any work done - oh, no. We got plenty of it done. There's a certain charm to being in the midst of cleaning during one of the lulls in our customer base, only to be greeted by a distinct "OoOoOoOoOoOo" from my supervisor. We didn't goof off when it was busy, opting instead to concentrate on what needed to be done, but having that ability to relax around certain people and just have fun when you're able to is really pleasant. It's better than constantly watching your back, wondering what people would think of you.

The hours were pretty cool, too. I worked from 4 or 5pm until 11pm, generally, and it was part time so occasionally my days would shift, but i typically worked Wednesday to Saturday, or something like that. It worked out great for my schedule.

The hardest part of the job was working Sundays, if I'm honest. They were immensely hard to predict, so sometimes we'd be overstaffed, but a lot of the time we'd be understaffed. They were either really dead, or the busiest day of the week, it seemed like. Many a time I had a call to come in on that day, only to have me barely be needed when I got there. It was all super bizarre.
Pros
Employee discount, chill atmosphere
Cons
Unpredictable Sundays
great work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Working at A&W as an Assistant Manager for 5 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavorable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
Free meal, health benefits
Cons
less work/life balance
Productive work environment
Cashier/server (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 18, 2016
what I have learned about working at A&W is that fast food is fast but keeping happy environment is everything to everyone working together
Pros
great pay, long hours, happy work environment
Cons
management
Awesome team, but could use better management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCJanuary 12, 2016
Loved the people and working with them. Didn't accommodate for when I went back into school and schedule sometimes had lack of organization.
Fun workplace
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eaton, ONJanuary 9, 2016
My typical day at a&w as part of the management, I have to make sure everything is in place before we open the store. All the selling product has to be ready as we are located at Eaton center which is a very busy place. Fast pace environment, have to make the order in less than a minute for each customer. I enjoyed my time with them, indeed!
great employees terrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCJanuary 8, 2016
promised a raise every 6 months and received a 15 cent raise over a 6 year period
management never takes responsibility always looks for a scapegoat
fun work place
Fast Food Cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 6, 2016
you had to work fast and do it right the first time. I learned time management and work ethic. I enjoyed there team and work place while my time working there.
Pros
good food
fun place to work but got bored of it always doing same stuff wanting to experience doing other things and learning
A&W, cook (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Was a great place to work easy to do pick up many skills and techniques the coworkers are friendly a typical day at work would be pretty easy making food whether its on grill fryers or point making the sandwiches.
Pros
the discounts, very friendly
Cons
busy, kitchen gets very hot
Fun place to work
Cashier/Front line (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONDecember 13, 2015
-Long and enjoyable work days
-pleasant to work with coworkers
-most difficult task is dealing with angry customers
-I enjoy working with those who come in with positive attitudes
Pros
positivity
Great Work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONDecember 8, 2015
I enjoy the people and the fast past environment that comes with this job, I enjoy interacting with people.

Always busy which I like, and that you meet all kinds of people while I have been working at A&W
Pros
great people
Teamwork
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 7, 2015
Staff were friendly, everyone always was smiling. I learned good teamwork skills and communication skills. The best part of the job was meeting all kinds of awesome people.
Good work place, sloppy management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QCDecember 7, 2015
Great people but too much about picking favorites and reminding everyone our manager was going to cut our hours and fire some of us.
Pros
50% all food
Cons
not enough hours
Its nice
cook (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 4, 2015
a new job would be very much needed. College is very stressful and i have exams coming up soon. I wathced a brooklyn nets game last night as well
Pros
g
Cons
g
A&w
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 3, 2015
Overall A&W is good because of the people that I work with. If it wasn't for the people there, I would probably hate it. The pay is bad but I guess you work your way from the bottom to the top.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
It was a fun work area, freindly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKDecember 1, 2015
it was very easy to get along with the workers, they treated me with respect and was patient while I learned the basics of the job training, then it was good from there.
Best place I've worked at kinda far in downtown
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
nice place coworkers liked to joke around in a friendly way overall nice starting place
work is easy and basic for the pay
Pros
free food
Cons
rush hour
Awesome Management
Hey Holder/ Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
The owner and manager of this place are amazing. They work hard to make sure they motivate and reward their employees when they are preforming well. I wish I still worked there :(
Pros
50% off food. Free Drinks. Lots of hours. Amazing management. Enjoyable atmosphere