A&W Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCMay 1, 2016
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: grumpy customers
I always love going to work each shift, i always leave with a smile on my face after every shift. i always had fun with customers and co workers, and i loved making each customer smile.
free lunch
Service Trainer (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 25, 2016
Taking orders and cash both efficiently and promptly.

Cleaning entire store and helping kitchen.

Learned how to use a register and how to take orders.
As well as how to prepare everything for the next shift.
sexist, horrible owner
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Vermilion, ABApril 24, 2016
owner put his hands around my neck, constantly touching all female employees, will not hire males, lies constantly, unprofessional owner
need more exposure in some other work
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Ponoka, ABApril 22, 2016
Pros: free meal
Cons: minimum 7 to 8 hours
Company is well established but i need to explore my experience with another company. Doing almost the managerial position but to extend more working job.
productive and challenging work place
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Regina, SKApril 19, 2016
Pros: flexible shift
Cons: long hours
As a summer intern, I got to work on the client services team along with 20 other interns. The team I was placed on delegated me real work to help them with. Having to balance the work given to me could be difficult at times for at the same time, I had to stay coordinated with the other interns in order to work on our group project. However, everyone I worked with was willing to help and very friendly. The company culture is wonderful, the employees generally seem happy to be working there! I think the energy of the environment drove everyone to do their best, at least for me it did! I learned how to work and prioritze multiple tasks at a time. I also was able to improve my research and presentation skills.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Taber, ABApril 19, 2016
I was a cashier where I learned how to complete day to day tasks .It helped me become a team player. As well as learn to become a leader and deal with people.
Great
A&W Cashier & Kitchen staff (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONApril 18, 2016
Pros: A team you can count on, Training that is dependable and helpful, Management that actually cares about you.
Cons: No benefits, Fast Past, Some customers could get cranky and downright mean.
Amazing to work for, Management was awesome for answering questions and addressing concerns. They ensured they kept their promises and tried to fit your life style the best they could. Were understanding when you were sick and ensured that you did not have to worry about job security just because you needed a sick day.

They put you in the job you are the most comfortable with and ensured that you were well trained and prepared to take on the day to day challenges. It was a very team oriented job, you had to work with your team to make sure you got the job done right, there was no shame asking for help when it got busy, and all hands on deck was something that we all understood. You could be sure that someone was there to help when you REALLY needed it.

Breaks were given at the right times, and there was little to no arguments on who went first, we all understood the order and worked great together.

Only reason I left was that I got a better job offer that had benefits. I wish I'd never left though and would go back in a heart beat.
I enjoy cooking the food and the people I work with.
Cook (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 16, 2016
Pros: Food discounts
Cons: Not enough hours
I enjoy working at A&W, however I am looking for a full time position. I take joy in preparing the food and also obtained my food handlers certificate. The hardest thing about my job is that it's not challenging enough.
Postive Work Environment
Front End Associate (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCApril 15, 2016
A&W has a fun and positive work environment and offers a flexible schedule to accommodate every employees needs. A&W offers fun and easy on the job training as well as computer training... Always something new to learn and do while on shift, plus you get to meet a lot of new and exciting customers. Loved listening to the elders come in and tell stories to staff while the staff works/ cleans the dining area.
Fast paced environment, Always on the go
Cashier (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 15, 2016
Pros: Within Shopping district
Cons: Our manager wasn't very friendly or welcoming to customers and employees
When I was working with A&W I found I was constantly being rushed beyond anyone's capability of working. Our manager was very stern on getting the lowest wait time in the province within the company. When there wasn't a bunch of customers it was pretty relaxed, I just stocked shelves with new material (like straws and napkins) I answered the phone time to time when I wasn't completing someones order. I constantly had to inform our back kitchen of our current wait times, I believe this was our managers way of saying to hurry up or were good. I enjoyed my employment with A&W for the most part but it didn't help the manager was my cousin in law.
Fun
Fry Cook/kitchen closer (Former Employee), Terrace, BCApril 14, 2016
Pros: discount meals
Cons: busy days
it was a great Atmosphere, i had fun, and enjoyed the coworkers, i was trained well and they gave me a chance when no one else did really.
Work with great people.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), Victoria, BCApril 12, 2016
Working at a fast food restaurant isn't exactly what I was hoping for at this stage of my life but I am very glad to be here. I'm thankful for the amazing people I work with and the lovely customers I get to meet.
work with full potential and with friendly environment
Cook (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 9, 2016
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: short space
learned how to make sandwiches burgers toasters , names of different type of food , experienced working on grill, fryer
Summery
Customer Service (Former Employee), Midland, ONApril 3, 2016
I would come into work, typically a half hour to an hour before I actually started so that I could get everything set up for my shift at a comfortable pace. I learned that with being a good employee you get better shifts and a little more freedom in your work. The owner was quite particular on how things should be carried out, but it was never hard to because the management and supervisors were always friendly. My co-workers were awesome and always let me help in the kitchen when I wan't busy. The hardest part of my job was when I had to move away to Barrie after becoming so close with them. The most enjoyable part was setting up in the morning, then getting all of my regulars in for their coffee and breakfast.
Productive when cheered by boss.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 2, 2016
Pros: Free and good food
Cons: Not a job related to my studies and i really want to work for which i have studied
Everyday is typical at work
Have been learning a lot from this job, this job has given me more than just a pay check.
All of my managemnt and co-workers are really supportive.
Hardest part of my job is when i have to deal with drunk or high people.
except that part i enjoy everything else.
Fast paced and easy going.
Part time cashier (Former Employee), Aldergrove, BCMarch 29, 2016
Pros: A little bit of a discount on the food.
Cons: Not getting paid for what you worked.
It was great job until I starting to get paid for less hours than I was working. That was probably an individual case of this one location, but it was still unfortunate that something like this would happen at one of my favourite fast food places.

My coworkers were fun, nice and hardworking people. My management not so much.
Good work place with good people
I work at A&W as a cashier (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCMarch 28, 2016
Cons: Only work once a week
A&w is a good work place and a nice friendly environment, everyone who works there is caring and helpful. I enjoy helping and serving customers and i have learned a lot about safety and food business and how it works.
Fun and productive working environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 27, 2016
During the six months of working at A&W has expanded my experience with customer service. I enjoyed getting to know the customers who came in regularly and making friends with my co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing each and every customer has left satisfied with my performance as a cashier.
everyone worked hard, helped each other out, had a fun safe envirnoment
Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 26, 2016
Pros: free lunches from a&w
Cons: getting all sorts of positions everyday.i liked one position
A typical day would be me coming into work, saying good morning to all of my staff and head down to the basement to change and get ready for work. As soon as I get to work I'm already in work mode and ready to go! clock in and get started on whatever job position I'm set out to do that day. What made go by smoothly for me was when we worked together without having to tell your co-worker to pick up the paste, so we're all doing our shared work load. The work environment really starts to set a positive atmosphere for the costumers when we all pull together and give an excellent service. The most enjoyable part of working there was not the acceptance from your co-workers but the regulars who are happy to see you there. I learned a lot from myself there, such as, my ability to commit, not to crumble under pressure when its busy, quick recovery after a mistake, and get along a team member.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 26, 2016
Conducive work atmosphere. Friendly co-workers. Flexible schedule. Standing throughout shift is not much fun. The management is nice to each individual person.