A&W Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Was terminated for absolutely no reason at all
Cashier/Food Handler (Former Employee), TorontoOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, great customers, gained cashier experience
Cons: poor management, terminated with no notice
I had worked there for 3 weeks everything was great . I'd arrive 30 minutes earlier, Customers would compliment me on my great smile and positive attitude, Customers would also compliment me for delivering fast service . I always kept everything stocked and would triple check with my team leader to ensure I had all task done before pre-closing. Everything was fine until the next week they had told me I didnt have a schedule that week but I'd be working the next week. Next week comes they tell me to call again on Tuesday then Wednesday to discuss my scheduling that for that week . By wednesday I had called and they had told me again i had no scheduling that week and to call next week for my schedule . And can you guess what happens next ? the same thing! Obviously frusterated I asked if I could have a talk with the regional manager who said hed figure out what was happening because he had not heard anything . So after not hearing from him for two days I called my store again and they had told me that they had terminated my training and that I'd no longer be working there confused I had asked why and she said she couldnt tell me why and that I'd have to talk to the regional manager. So I contacted him and he basically said that my supervisor had said I wasnt "a good fit" and there was nothing he could do about it. Keep in mind I had not been scheduled for about 3 weeks and within those weeks my supervisor had been telling me to call back so I could be scheduled . and then two days later she tells the regional manager that I am not a "good fit" and they refuse to elaborate on that – more... .. Other than that its a fairly easy job , you get 40% meals worth no more than 10$ while working. I had great co workers but Management was very poor and I had barely made any money because money from uniforms was deducted from both paychecks . I you want an easy fast paced job with great co workers this is a good job but beware your managers can fire you with no notice and reason. – less
Shenanigans
Crew member; Part-time kitchen (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Employee discount, chill atmosphere
Cons: Unpredictable Sundays
There was a longstanding joke at my work about a ghost that haunted the restaurant and caused a lot of minor inconveniences. We had a lot of fun trying to figure out the identity of the ghost, anywhere from my roommate, to regulars, to the manager, to even at one point one of the cows that we'd served up to customers.

This is not to say we didn't get any work done - oh, no. We got plenty of it done. There's a certain charm to being in the midst of cleaning during one of the lulls in our customer base, only to be greeted by a distinct "OoOoOoOoOoOo" from my supervisor. We didn't goof off when it was busy, opting instead to concentrate on what needed to be done, but having that ability to relax around certain people and just have fun when you're able to is really pleasant. It's better than constantly watching your back, wondering what people would think of you.

The hours were pretty cool, too. I worked from 4 or 5pm until 11pm, generally, and it was part time so occasionally my days would shift, but i typically worked Wednesday to Saturday, or something like that. It worked out great for my schedule.

The hardest part of the job was working Sundays, if I'm honest. They were immensely hard to predict, so sometimes we'd be overstaffed, but a lot of the time we'd be understaffed. They were either really dead, or the busiest day of the week, it seemed like. Many a time I had a call to come in on that day, only to have me barely be needed when I got there. It was all super bizarre.
Nice coworkers
Cook (Former Employee), ScarboroughApril 20, 2015
Pros: 50% off a meal during your shift
Cons: Strict close minded managers
When you get hired at A&W, you are made to do these online NET training modules, which are very intensive and informative. There is about 28 of them and each one takes between 15-25 minutes. At the end of each module you take a quiz and if you don't get 100% you have to do it again. In total the modules take about 5.5-6 hours. You are told that you get paid for 3 hours of the modules (even though it takes a couple hours more). My first day I was scheduled for 3 hours in which I spent 1 hour signing papers and doing more quizzes. Then I was put on the fry station. The most frustrating thing about working at A&W is they have beepers for everything, so you are constantly hearing loud and annoying beeping. Most procedures you learn doing the modules are followed in the store, some not. The management is very strict and not very open minded (at least at the Scarborough town centre). Been working in kitchens (fast food, pubs and gormet lounges) for over 3 years and got scolded for not using the beeper/timer when making French fries (I think I know by now when friench fries are cooked). You get 50% off of 1 meal and you are not allowed to take it home, you have to eat it during your shift time/break. You can't drink more than a tiny cone cup of water or pop at once. I was told that bringing a bottle of water into the kitchen is looked down upon and to leave it at the back or hide it in the corner when the manager is there.
First Job
Supervisor Responsibilities (Former Employee), Port Aberni BCJune 21, 2013
Pros: got $9.00 free food every shift you work. so if you forgot lunch then you could always order food.
Cons: low wages
A & W was my first job. I started when i was 14 years old. I enjoyed working because it was a good experience. I ended up being promoted to senior supervisor. Which took on a big roll, being the team leader, being responsible for all the cash in and outs, doing daily deposits and some paper work, being able to do every job (cashier , DT, grill, prep work, fryer station ) I was responsible for making sure the resturaunt was opened properly or closed properly. The hardest part of my job was trying to get everyone to take me seriously, lots of my friends also worked there and thought that i would just let them do what they want and get out of the not so fun jobs, ( bathrooms, garbages, doing dishes) but i managed to talk to them as their supervisor and made them realize that i was their supervisor at work and friends outside of work. I believe when you go to work you are there to work, so you try not to bring personal life to work ( not to much anyways). The managmesnt team was pretty good we all tried to work together and be a team. Sometimes there was miss communication, but we had meetings that we would sit down and discuss any problems or good stratigies we had, and learn about promotions and new changes. We did the best we could, and i know that i gave 110% effort into my job.
Fun environment and very friendly Co-Workers
Cook (Former Employee), Alberta, CalgarySeptember 10, 2012
Pros: 60% discount on meals
Cons: co-workers missing shifts sometimes
A&W was a really good place to work in, I learned a lot of things. I wouldn't have left the job if I wasn't forced to move into NW before. I learned how to apply the word fun in work. Our manager has this certain way of making the work fun, e.g making funny labels for the products and calling us by funny and not offensive names. My Co-Workers at A&W were really awesome. It's like they never rest during working hours, they offer help all the time. As soon as they've finished what they're doing they hop on to the next thing and still try to help out others on their job. When we have nothing to do, e.g no customers coming in or driving thru everybody grabs a broom and sweeps the floor to keep the environment clean. For me, the hardest part of my Job at A&W was basically covering up someone else's shift when they don't show up, because it usually collides with my other plans. The most enjoyable part is everyone is working hard and doing their job which makes the Job really easy. My manager always says, when everyone is doing their job and putting effort in it, there can never be a hard Job.
Productive, Great working environment
Cash (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2014
Pros: discount on food, free drinks, great working environment
Cons: long hours
My employment at A&W lasted for about 1 yr & 1/2, and my position was mainly Cash.
I mainly opened at A&W, and there is usually a list of what to do for opening. I am kept busy with serving customers, cleaning, and finishing my opening to - do -list.
The working environment professional, but productive and I thought was the perfect place for me to have my first job. Crystal, the manager at the time, always gave us constructive criticisms, was always on top of things and worked efficiently. I aspired to be almost as fast as she was on Cash, and her attitude towards work was enough of an incentive to make me work harder in each shift.
My co-workers became friends, and being comfortable with them helped me to become assertive when there is a rush and food needed to be passed down more quickly.
A&W valued customer service. Its main goal is to serve their food in the quickest way possible, but also in its best quality. Throughout my employment there, I enjoyed reaching for that goal constantly, but also being able to grow as an employee.
The hardest part of my job was to stay calm. Some customers would become very upset when their order has been made incorrectly, but I have learned to remain calm when dealing with a displeased customer.
I enjoy dealing with customers
Head Supervisor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: free meal
Cons: few hours sometimes
Opening the store and ensuring that everything is ready. Taking orders to the customer and making sure that I did my best in making my customer satisfy and give/answer all they needs/wants. Double check the stocks if we have enough item in the store. Do the deposit everyday at the bank and also I did the ordering three times a week. I have to guarantee that the food that we are serving was in standard quality, its really important.

I have learned so much working in a fast food environment it is totally different from my previous job because I was directly talking with the customer compare in my previous job that I am more with the suppliers. I've learned from my co-workers also even if they are younger than I am.

Dealing with customers complaint is not the hardest part when I was working there but managing with the absenteeism of one of the staff without calling or sending message prior to their schedule of work. It is hard because sometime its time for me to go home but all of a sudden they will call and tell me that they wasn't able to go to work for some reason, and I have to call for somebody to replace the person who cant work that day. I cant leave the store with no enough staff working in a busy day or else I have to extend my hours.
Productive fast-paced enviroment
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee), Peace River, ABAugust 5, 2013
Pros: benefits, free drinks, discount on food items, flexible work hours, friendly staff, easy work
Cons: can get hard if you can't keep up, no free lunch, standing for long periods of time
On a typical day of work, its slow all day except for lunch and supper rush. If it is slow, you find something else to do, such as washing dishes or restocking the kitchen. I learned how to fry burgers, prepare buns, restock the kitchen, run the deep fryer, how to clean the grill and fryers. The management is comprised of 2 individuals, both female and they do a excellent job of running the establishment. The co-workers are friendly, easy going, and disciplined right. It wasn't hard making friends where i worked. There isn't really a challenging task associated with the work, but when it gets really busy, i sometimes get lost in the orders. Overall i really enjoyed my time there, and working in the kitchen taught me skills that ill need for future restaurants. I love cooking the food, preparing the burger, and most of all working with other smiling faces.
its fun working but the way they give salary is way to low.
Sales Crew (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 27, 2012
a typical day at work that i need to do are csr both front and drive thru, cleaning the lobby,cleaning both men and women washroom do my afternoon and night routines, clean and fill up the front.
from this work i learned a lot from basic to advance and i manage them all. im a fast learner so it doesn't matter if i do this and that just teach me and ill do it.
from the management base from my exp. all i can say is they seems to do favoritism. i don't know every time somebody calls sick its OK with them but for me when i was still working there i really have to prove or make my parents let them know that im sick and for my co-workers it fun to meet new people and be friends and i enjoyed every ones company when i was with them.
the hardest part in this job will be the complaints about the way the customers treat you whether its good or bad and sometimes the team work that we call is never there so we get behind.
the most enjoyable part in this job was when i was in the drive thru greeting and knowing people and loving to make them smile knowing your doing your job in awesome feeling.
One of the best places a student could work at.
Cuisinier (Former Employee), Chateauguay, QCJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: employee discount, great & caring management, car shows once a week during summer, hard work was always rewarded.
Cons: i honestly can't think of a single one.
The best restaurant work experience I ever had. Tasks included cooking, kitchen maintenance, and random little jobs when you accomplished all of your daily tasks.

The staff was mainly comprised of students for the night shift, most of which were in college and working to pay their way through school. We were all in the same boat, and due to that nearly everyone on the dinner rush became friends.

The management was tight knit (2 owners whom were married, and 4 managers on staff, rarely ever had more than 1 manager and 1 owner present as they trusted their employees)

The hardest part of the job was closing Fridays and Saturdays, but that's not even much of a nuisance when you're going to College and have no other time to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the family atmosphere and how tight knit we were. The Christmas parties were wild, and every one was always sure to make it.
Fun and fast paced work with a lot of multitasking.
Fast Food Cook (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, good hours, big discount, job can be enjoyable
Cons: upper management, slow boring days, bad training
A typical work day would be me coming in 10 minutes early. First I'd get my apron on and wash my hands. I would then see how much food is stocked up and stock up if needed, then just clean up the kitchen area. After that I would fill the orders as they came in, in either the buns, grill or fries station. Lastly at the end of the night I would close everything down, usually with an co-worker to help me.

The hardest part was doing the fries side when it got really busy, because you are responsible for fries, chicken, onion rings and desserts.

The best part was the people I was working with, because we were all around the same age and got along great.

The management wasn't very good and I know people that quit just because of how poorly it was.
Fun and challenging everyday because of different customers that i encountered everyday...
Crew (Former Employee), A&W keewatin winnipeg, manitobaJuly 27, 2012
Pros: 40% off in food
Cons: 16 hours - 20 hours
usually im working from 10:00am until 2;00PM....im very excited all the time when i was working because it is challenge for sure...and it fun so i enjoyed it...i learned a lots of things like talking the customers in warm and friendly approach, i can solved a problem,the management is fun they treat us like a family in A&W because we work as team we need each other support to have a better service to our beloved customer....my co workers is great they always guide me when i was in trainee they very supportive to me.....and the hardess part the job is during my trainee period you must learned a lots of things but i never quit i help my self to learned new things adapt the enviroment im goin to take actual traning and online training and it help me a lots after a 2 weeks trainee now i can work in my own especially in the weekends they give me a opening schedule from6am until 2pm and it very fun....the most enjoyable part is my friendly customers i miss them so much...
A Typical Day
Chef (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good job culture, half price on meals, free soda drink during work.
Cons: Short hours, inconsistent hours, no breaks on 5 hr shifts, hot in the kitchen.
Well, a typical day at A&W starts with the heat. It is extremely hot in the kitchen during the summers and even other parts of the year, everyday. You punch in and wash your hands, get assigned which station your on and where you'll be moving if you do at all. What I learned at A&W that was the most important was respect, no matter who you are, where you come from, or how much money you make,
you have to have respect for everyone. The management was alright but to be completely honest, at times I felt the team could have been pushed more to move higher up within the company more. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the orders when your tired or have someone on your team that isn't keeping up with you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was defiantly the time spent talking with co-workers and building relationships with them.
It's an enjoyable place to work.Since we have lots of Regular customers and we knew them by names.
SUPERVISOR/ FOOD COUNTER ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Whitehorse, YTJune 10, 2013
Pros: employee discounts, insurance for full time workers, free uniform
Cons: long hours of standing.
A normal typical day at work in A&W is seeing regular customers with their usual orders. Sometimes they don't need to talk because their orders just comes in the tray automatically. It's fun and enjoying job, especially all co-workers get along so well. If there's not much customers, as a Supervisor I instruct staff who is capable of doing detailed cleaning. One of the most challenging part working in this type of job is during the time when we are short staff. I will try to phone in someone to come in and cover. But then if there is none available, I make sure everyone is positioned "aces in their places" and I don't tie myself in one position, so I can bounce front and back.
Working at A&W
Supervisor (Former Employee), Langely BCFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: worked around my changing school schedual
Cons: not enough hours/pay
A typical day at A&W was going in taking over for the morning cashier, I would hen make sure all products were stocked and help guest when they came to the counter to order. through out my shift I would make sure that the cook was following proper protocols and answering any questions she had. since I usually closed I would make sure I stocked all products for the next day and cleaned the front, I would also cash out the store and make sure the kitchen was also clean.

some of the things I learned at A&W was how to place orders for the store, how to do inventory, deal with guest, and how to manage people. the management there was ok, she was very forward and did not always handle situations properly, I loved working with my co-workers that was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job. the hardest part of my job was the fact that if I was dealing with a particularly difficult guest I would not get support from my management in finding a way of making the staff feel safe.
Recommend
Cook (Former Employee), Niagra OnJune 2, 2014
Pros: half off food and free soft drinks
Cons: very sweaty and hot
A&W is a wonderful work place only problems is not all A&W's are the same but the one i worked at the staff was friendly my boss was very flexible and the hours were really good depending on your motivation for example if your like me where i work 2-3 tomes a week and work 5-6 hours i walk out with 200-400$ or if you like working all day everyday well you gonna have a lot of money but you will be sweaty from the heat the grill and deep-fry make and all the heavy boxes of frozen meat and fries but besides that everything is really good although what i am about to say all depends on where the location of your A&W is like a group of teens were harassing me for my pay check but being at my physical strength i just scared them off but all in all it is a very great place to work and its a great way to make friends with people
Fast Paced Environment, Productive
Cashier (Former Employee), Trenton, ONOctober 31, 2012
Pros: long hours, great coworkers, friendly people
Cons: n/a
I would get there half an hour early, check the schedule and punch in five minutes before my shift would start. I would wash my hands and start taking orders, stock, talk to customers, talk to my coworkers and share stories when we had time. The management there was neat and organized, very friendly. I learned to Operate cash register, Process money, cheques and credit/debit card payments, Receive payment for goods or services, Calculate daily/shift payments received and reconcile with total sales, suggestive selling, stock shelves and clean counters/walls. The hardest part of this job was to deal with angry customers or when orders got messed up after they waited for a long time. The most enjoyable part was seeing new faces and being able to have a small conversation with everyone while learning about new cultures and parts of the world.
great work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Free meal, health benefits
Cons: less work/life balance
Working at A&W as an Assistant Manager for 5 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavorable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Busy environment
Cashier / Customer Service / Cook (Former Employee), Midland, ONFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: discounted food
Cons: hot and fast paced.
* Take customer orders fill their orders while making sure it was fast and warm. Fill drinks, clean trays, stock front ( Napkins, Cups, Jams, Plastic utensils, salads ) Cleaning the store ( sweeping, moping, wiping everything down, cleaning the bathrooms, emptying garbage's )

When in the back as a cook : stock meat and fries cook on grill and fryer. Prepare burgers with condiments.

* What I learned : Customer service and how to work while under pressure, how to multitask, team work, working in a confined space without running into each other.

* Management was busy most of the time with book work or helping with filling/ taking orders.

* Co-workers : Were happy and more than willing to help you with the task at hand. Joking around throughout the shift.

* Hardest part of the job : working in a fast paced environment while keeping customers happy.

* Most enjoyable part of the job : discount food
Productive workplace with great coworkers
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Comber, ONSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: 40% discount on food
Cons: worked almost every weekend
Typical day would be show up for my closing shift which would usually be 5 o'clock start to 11 pm finish time. During this time dinner rush would be between 530 and 8. Afterwards or during i would clean up machinery used during the day and shut down anything that did not need to be used. Management always listened to your needs and wants and worked hard to achieving those goals. My co-workers were fun and very easy to get along with. Hardest part was days when there were only 2 of us working and we would get a large rush due to a power outage or travelling family's and workers or large community events. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers because we connected well and made each other laugh and smile.