A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Productive workplace, with enthusiastic co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCFebruary 12, 2016
The daily work routine was fun but stressful due to high volume of customers and not enough staff. I learned how to work safe and fast. The management could be a little bit more supportive. Co-workers were nice but didn't have many values at the workplace. The hardest part was to finish everything on time with not enough staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast-pace work environment. Everything needed to be done at a specific time.
Pros
A Calming Presence
Cons
short hours
unsafe
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
i worked alone for 3 months alone over night at the queen and spadina location. the manager would turn off his phone & bribe with extra pay for the employees to stay longer than scheduled. anytime there was an issue, it was never dealt with the right way. the thing i enjoyed the most about the job were the beautiful customers
Great staff, fabulous management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hope, BCOctober 13, 2015
Opening shift:
Prep, setting up, cash
Closing shift:
closing tills, cashout, end of day duties

Extras: Ordering inventory, counting inventory
Pros
great staff
Cons
no benifits
A great place to work at
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 5, 2016
I was very nervous on my first day of the job since this was my first job. However, the supervisor, as well as the co-workers were very helpful and patient with me as I learned my way around things. I was able to learn many different things and enjoy at the same time. I loved the work environment; everyone took their job very seriously, which made me want to accomplish more.
Pros
Flexible hours
Fun, educational, and great to start.
Front cashier (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
typical day would be taking orders and delivering customers with a smile.
I learned typical cashier, and housekeeping, along with customer service.
Co-workers and so much fun and supportive.
Management is always great.
Most hardest part is learning the chicken part of the menu on the till.
Enjoyable part is the discount on food, but be careful not to gain weight.
Pros
Discounts for emploees
It is worth to work at A&W
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 23, 2016
Everyone there were nice to each others. In a few month of my working period, I experienced wonderful time with my co-workers. Cooks helped me to deal with the hardest part- timing, as well as my manager, who taught me much about how to deal with different people from various background.
Simple job, good starter job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 18, 2016
The first year was good but after the first never got recognized for the good done. Favouritism was played by the management team, treated unfairly. Management team was physical; shoving/pushing. Verbal abuse and discrimination
Pros
30% off meals
Cons
Long hours such as 5pm-6am shifts
productive and keeps you busy
chef (Former Employee) –  Newton, BCSeptember 8, 2016
day at work is cook food. learned how to cook food. management was ok nothing special. co-workers were nice but never spoke languages that i could understand. hardest part of the job was when it got busy and other co-workers didnt help or they were new. most enjoyable was getting paid.
Its good company to work at A&W
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 17, 2016
I worked at A&W for 2 months and a half it was good to work there and my pay day was alright not that bad.
Its clean restaurant and they serve good food.
It was so busy.
I quit there because it was so far from.my home and i can't get there buy train or bus
Pros
Get discounts 40%
Cons
12 hours a week
excellent place to start carrier
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2016
Awesome place to work with different culture of people ,excellent management team who helprd from the basics to supervisory level.The most enjoyable and hardest job is dealing with the customers ,not the hardest but challenging.
Good Teamwork and Focus on Employee's good work environment
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABJune 14, 2016
I have learned to uphold more my skills on customer services and values on food service. We valued good team work and respect to each co-worker. We value support and helping each other. We value and give high regard to company's goal which is to provide the best food service to our clients.
Great
A&W Cashier & Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONApril 18, 2016
Amazing to work for, Management was awesome for answering questions and addressing concerns. They ensured they kept their promises and tried to fit your life style the best they could. Were understanding when you were sick and ensured that you did not have to worry about job security just because you needed a sick day.

They put you in the job you are the most comfortable with and ensured that you were well trained and prepared to take on the day to day challenges. It was a very team oriented job, you had to work with your team to make sure you got the job done right, there was no shame asking for help when it got busy, and all hands on deck was something that we all understood. You could be sure that someone was there to help when you REALLY needed it.

Breaks were given at the right times, and there was little to no arguments on who went first, we all understood the order and worked great together.

Only reason I left was that I got a better job offer that had benefits. I wish I'd never left though and would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
A team you can count on, Training that is dependable and helpful, Management that actually cares about you.
Cons
No benefits, Fast Past, Some customers could get cranky and downright mean.
Fun, positive, and down to work!
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 8, 2016
Being a manager I can say I was able to still have a life, and as much as I was the only manager and only person my staff could call... I had a strong team and they were able to handle things and would only call if they had too, even though I did not mind if they did it is a part of the job. I honestly love my job, I love that my boss trusted me and that I felt like it was my store. I was able to make changes, and growth to the store and I was trusted to do so with out having to always get ahold of my boss. I liked the fast paced work place we got very busy lunches, and during that time you really get to see how the team works, and how they work under pressure, and how they work together. To me the busier the better! I worked mornings, and I would do my paper work, inventory, deposits, orders in the morning and than go help out with prep and in the kitchen when I was done, or when needed. Other than me being so far away I cant say it was a bad job, or cant say anything bad about it.
Pros
I was able to make my own choices, flexible hours, amazing team work, big store, fast paced.
Cons
far away, some days could be stressful but I know how to handle stress, and every job you are going to face stress, its just how you handle it.
Not a good place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Williams lakeJune 30, 2016
Most of all the A&W is not organized at all. Certainly not a good place to work because you will definitely be bullied at work and the management is not gonna do anything about it
Pros
Free drink and 50% of when on duty
Cons
A lot of favouritism going on in this particular branch, management is not actively doing their job
good workplace with great team members
Cashier, cook / prep. / Onion rings (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONSeptember 12, 2016
management and co workers were very close to each other and very understanding
the most enjoyable part of the job was coming in to see wonderful co workers
i learned how to work fast and efficiently and under pressure.
Fun workplace, great setting.
Cashier/ Janitorial duties (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLMay 9, 2016
Fast paced environment, learning development skills, how to use a cash register, fill out orders on time. Easy-going, management is great.Co-workers friendly but also some may vary. Difficult communicating with kitchen staff at times, but an overall great place to start off in the working field.
Pros
Half the price for employers only if they are working
Cons
No free lunches
Amazing job]
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MerivaleAugust 18, 2015
I worked morning as supervisor for 4 years out of the 8 that I have been there. Ive learned so much over the years, everyone who works there wants to work there. You get the best support and everyday is a new learning curve.
Pros
2 raises a year
Cons
none.
Great environment full of hard working, over achievers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merivale, ONMay 21, 2016
A typical day includes showing up, being greeted and asked how my day is going, and the changing, getting on the work floor, start restocking and getting prepped for any possible rushes. Dealing with customer orders and complaints, while consistently taking drive through orders.
Pros
50% off, great relationships, good management.
it was okay
Restaurant Cook and Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCAugust 14, 2016
-messed up schedules
-no benefits
-does not get paid in holidays at all for part time
-manager(s) does not teach well newbies
-customers are super mean and very demanding
Pros
free lunches and drinks
Cons
long hours, no breaks at all if busy, improper salary
Nice place to eat.
CASHIER/FOOD ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 29, 2015
A very comfortable place. People are nice and helpful. Staff work hard to give the customers the best service they can. The location of the store is very nice
Pros
The staff are close and the climate is very nice
Cons
Sometimes schedules and there's no benefits