A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE28 October 2016
This was my first job and it was great to be able to have this experience, i learned a lot working here that i have brought with me to other places. I would have to take orders, make orders, and package orders. I would also have to deal with customer complaints
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough staff
Productive and fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 January 2017
I enjoyed working with the coworkers I had, we always helped each other with tasks and when it came to training the new employees they always gave respect and asked for help when needed.
Pros
Break times
Cons
Upset customers
productive , fun workplace and fair management.
Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC22 September 2016
A typical work providing fresh and tasty breakfast , comfort food for lunch and dinner for Canadians. I learned how to manage responsibly my station specially the kitchen with regards to food safety and and giving guest fresh comfort foods on a daily basis.
productive and a fun workplace with a table tennis
customer service, take orders, and delivering food (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB9 October 2016
I learned a lot, include how to work with all different types of people. The job also teaches me to communicate with all my co-workers. The job also let me look the world in a different way than I used to do before I got a job.
Family Burgers
Head Cashier and Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at A&W.
The hardest part is mornings as the menue is far more demanding.
My fellow emploees were friendly and funny.
My favourite thing was drive thru.
Pros
Free drinks and half off food
Cons
Improper treatment of shifts and breaks
Fun at Times But Very Demanding.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ON6 August 2016
The co-workers are great (well most of them), the management is very poor, only getting your schedule a couple days before you can work, so you can't plan ahead. You are always required to bring a doctors note if you get sick even if it's something small like the flu, you always have to have a replacement. Hardest part of the job is to make sure that you close right all the time and customers aren't upset. The best part are the staff they always do what they can. I learned that I have to be responsible and organised and that somethings aren't meant to be.
Pros
Discounts off 1 meal per shift
Cons
Over worked, no notice in advanced, busy all the time.
Fast Pace and always moving
Cashier/Drive-Thru operator (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON11 January 2017
A great first job. This taught me about the value of working and what it means to be an employee. Everyone is helpful, and the co-workers are helpful and there when needed. Was never afraid to ask questions.
Fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2016
Great atmosphere
SSupportive coworkers
Cooperative management
Love to work in A&W because I like customer interaction

I enjoy working in such a good environment where I seeek minimal supervision and perform according to the standards
Productive and fun loving work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
I have learn a lot of things by working in the A&W, such as how to manage yourself professionally, stay calm and perform multi-task and keeping patience while working under pressure.
Pros
Fun-Loving surroundings
Cons
Long-Weekends
Meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC27 January 2017
It was a good starting point and it taught me lots but I would rather work with the people and not the food, Working there was good, any of the issues i had while working there were personal and not due to said job.
Pros
discounts
Cons
irrational customers
excellent place to work
SENIOR SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Drumheller, AB1 February 2017
I have worked for A&W since the age of twelve, and it never gets old. The fast paced environment offer new challenges everyday.
Pros
Best place to work as a young kid.Tons of opportunities to advance within the company
Overall challenging workplace
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2016
While working for A&W I learned a lot, with having over 8 years of Management experience under my belt, I felt quite confident and comfortable towards any future opportunities.

My typical day at work is making sure all store under my area in compliance and well managed.

Management has very strong work ethic and expect excellence.

I did not find anything hard with my current job, and new challenges and tasks make me learn and grow.

Most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all tasks for the day are complete and every guest is happy when they walk out of the restaurant.
Cons
not enough time for family.
Its a great place to start.
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 December 2016
The hardest part about this job is keeping up when you're a noob at it. It's constantly fast-paced and the orders can be unclear at times.
Pros
free drinks, good co-workers, discounts with family
Cons
random scheduling, small spaces
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB16 October 2016
I found that working at the A&W restaurant was fun.The staff and employers were great to work with.Loved the food!I still order the mama combo every time I go to a A&W restaurant.
The most enjoyable part of my job was serving people.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours.
It is worth to work at A&W
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 September 2016
Everyone there were nice to each others. In a few month of my working period, I experienced wonderful time with my co-workers. Cooks helped me to deal with the hardest part- timing, as well as my manager, who taught me much about how to deal with different people from various background.
Fast-paced and efficient workplace with a friendly attitude
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
A typical day at work would begin with stocking the nearby freezer with enough frozen foods to last us through the dinner rush. When the dinner rush begins, the workers in the kitchen form a highly organized team, working together to make sure that there is always enough food made for orders, and that all the orders are completed in a timely manner. I learned to be able to keep track of many details at once and to remember what has been completed and what still needs to be done. To speak of management is to speak of my co-workers; which is to say, everyone from supervisors to franchise-owners pitch in and pull their own weight to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with all my friendly co-workers, who were more than willing to help new employees learn the ropes of kitchen work.
Pros
Flexible hours; friendly co-workers and employees; quality of job-skill education
Cons
Very high temperature in the kitchen; uncomfortable uniforms
Productive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2017
I like to work at A&W only because i get to interact with so many people. It is one of my hobby to meet people from different background and to know about them. A&W has given me so many friends.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Short shifts
Simple job, good starter job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 September 2016
The first year was good but after the first never got recognized for the good done. Favouritism was played by the management team, treated unfairly. Management team was physical; shoving/pushing. Verbal abuse and discrimination
Pros
30% off meals
Cons
Long hours such as 5pm-6am shifts
Its good company to work at A&W
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I worked at A&W for 2 months and a half it was good to work there and my pay day was alright not that bad.
Its clean restaurant and they serve good food.
It was so busy.
I quit there because it was so far from.my home and i can't get there buy train or bus
Pros
Get discounts 40%
Cons
12 hours a week
ok work environment
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 December 2016
i leaned how to do food preparation and how to work as a team with other people in small spaces at a fast pace . most of the day was spent on cleaning and preparing food for the other cooks.
Pros
free food
Cons
not enough hours