A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 September 2016
Great place to work for an experience. It enhance my skills and learned a lot on how to served a customer and makes them satisfied. Co-worker is really friendly and nice. Management is fine.
meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 September 2016
typical 6 hours (long)

learned how to be efficient in speed & serving customers, communication skills.

few co-workers are nice

hardest part: dealing with certain situations
Pros
discount on food when working
Not a good management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peachland, BC29 October 2016
Work days were long! Didn't have many employees. Only had on break on a 8 hour shift. Not all that great of team work. The mangers bring home life in to work life
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No time off
A&w
Cashier, Front Counter (Former Employee) –  931 Upper James Street16 March 2016
I learned to deal with difficult and easy customers and how to give them the correct amount of change and respect. I learned how to do drive-thru, stocking of products and to talk to different kinds of people. The management was a bit off since we kept losing people and hiring. So it was hard to get to know them more on a personal side. I think I enjoyed the people the most at this job and the hardest was to let go of that. I would always be on time if not early for every shift and would get changed, punch in and start my day. I would take orders from different kinds of people and doing different tasks. For example, take out garbage, clean counters/tables, take customers orders, clean bathrooms. etc.
Pros
Discount on food, friendly co-workers
Cons
Could be long sometimes, change of schedule without notice, management was sometimes difficult
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB25 November 2016
I enjoyed working a time this restaurant. Everyone was very friendly. The customers never walked away mad because we fixed problems with Thier orders.
Pros
Friends
Great Work Place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC10 September 2016
This was one of the best work places I have ever worked in. Every employee and management staff was respectful and understanding in and out of work. Awesome Job!
Excellent environment to work.
Kitchen Help / Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON29 March 2016
A typical day at work involves meeting new people in the form of customers and making many different food items. I learned how to properly handle food products and how to work with my co-workers. The management was good, they made sure that we had a safe and friendly work environment that also had all the necessary equipment for the job. Many of my co-workers were friendly and respected my needs as an individual. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know and interacting with people.
Pros
Friendlyenviroment
good company
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON15 November 2016
Was here before the.management changed and It was still not that bad of a place to work .. though I'm sure it would be a lot. More.organized. now .
A great work place
Labourer/Cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 March 2016
At A&W a typical work day work be, make sure my stations are clean, make sure everything is in stoke. Example; enough bagged fries, chicken strips, frozen/cooked burgers etc.. prep foods like pickles and other condiments. I learnt how to multitask to doing 4 different things at a time. My skills have been challenged to the fullest. Me and my co-workers were in sync as a team. I enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of my job at A&W was the dinner rush because they was people flooding in for a good 3 hours, prepping while filling in orders was not easy but I learnt how to multitask greatly. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, having the opportunity to learn new things about A&W and eating some of the food.
Pros
Cons
Dinner rush
Fun, educational, and great to start.
Front cashier (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC17 May 2016
typical day would be taking orders and delivering customers with a smile.
I learned typical cashier, and housekeeping, along with customer service.
Co-workers and so much fun and supportive.
Management is always great.
Most hardest part is learning the chicken part of the menu on the till.
Enjoyable part is the discount on food, but be careful not to gain weight.
Pros
Discounts for emploees
Not a good place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Williams lake30 June 2016
Most of all the A&W is not organized at all. Certainly not a good place to work because you will definitely be bullied at work and the management is not gonna do anything about it
Pros
Free drink and 50% of when on duty
Cons
A lot of favouritism going on in this particular branch, management is not actively doing their job
I would not recommend this job to anybody
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB26 July 2016
The restaurant I worked for was owned by a company, there was a lot of favouritism and favourism, work place was very stressful
Franchise standards were not followed, no appreciation for work.
I would love to share this incidence here, as per franchise rule every
restaurant is bound to have a temperature binder and they have to be noted everyday. When I stared to do them as the job was assigned to me after I was promoted, I found a mistakes in the previous months, the person did not knew the difference between Celsius and fahrenheit, so I told my area manager about it as there was no manager there at that point of time. She got mad at me and said its same I had to argue with her and explained her that its different though they both are units of temperature but have different value for same temperature. So she called A&W corporate to confirm that and she was the one recording temperatures before me. I don't know how that restaurant passed the audits in past.
Pros
I personally don't know any
Cons
Everything about that place
excellent place to start carrier
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2016
Awesome place to work with different culture of people ,excellent management team who helprd from the basics to supervisory level.The most enjoyable and hardest job is dealing with the customers ,not the hardest but challenging.
Productive and fun.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Millstream, BC28 July 2016
Productive and fun work environment.
Good management.
Can easily balance school and work.
Great co-workers
Gain great work experience and customer survice skills
team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 July 2016
how to adjust in any situation
how to work with a team
time management
making food is the enjoyable part of the job
co-operative workers
Pros
good management
Cons
less hours
not flexible
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2016
Management wasn't very flexible. I started college while working there and some times I had to skip class in order to go to work because they wouldn't let me go a little later.
Great first job with lots of advancement opportunities
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 June 2016
My first fast food job was at A&W Restaurants. It was a great way to meet new people, gain experience, and have fun. However it depends on the management you have (just like any job you may have in life).
Pros
Great experience, happy environment
Cons
not as flexible as can be
Dont work at bbc a&w
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 May 2016
worst manager ever! and they had cockroaches !
got fired because i had to go the hospital

it was very fast paced and hot and it was just an awful environment.
the co workers were all rude except 2
Cons
you don't get a discount on combos. they're all about their money. you mean nothing to them
Great environment full of hard working, over achievers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merivale, ON21 May 2016
A typical day includes showing up, being greeted and asked how my day is going, and the changing, getting on the work floor, start restocking and getting prepped for any possible rushes. Dealing with customer orders and complaints, while consistently taking drive through orders.
Pros
50% off, great relationships, good management.
Fun workplace, great setting.
Cashier/ Janitorial duties (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL9 May 2016
Fast paced environment, learning development skills, how to use a cash register, fill out orders on time. Easy-going, management is great.Co-workers friendly but also some may vary. Difficult communicating with kitchen staff at times, but an overall great place to start off in the working field.
Pros
Half the price for employers only if they are working
Cons
No free lunches