A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

fun people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2016
Taking orders from customers. Handling cash and register. Giving food to customers. Helping in the kitchen and cleaning floors and tables. Helping open and close the store.
Pros
good food
fun and safe place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2016
Working at A&W as an cashier for 2 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavourable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
50% discount on food
Great first time job
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 November 2016
Great place to work for your first time job. lots of opportunities to advance. Great learning experience.

Busy days can be stressfull, definitely if understaffed. After a while you get used to managing shifts better and Working efficiently as a team.
Pros
50% staff meals free managermeals and gaurentee hours
Cons
Overtime stressfull
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON4 November 2016
Co workers were great. Management could of been nicer. I learn how to deal with customers, Hardest part was how fast one needed to be for both drive thru and counter.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
fast food
Great job to start out with
Senior Line Cook/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 November 2016
Worked for 3 years at the Center mall location, I gained advancement into supervisor/trainer at my 2nd year mark and I ensure safe preparation and as little loss as possible.
Good job just moved away from that life.
Pros
Good starting job
Cons
Not enough pay for effort and time
Not a good management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peachland, BC29 October 2016
Work days were long! Didn't have many employees. Only had on break on a 8 hour shift. Not all that great of team work. The mangers bring home life in to work life
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No time off
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE28 October 2016
This was my first job and it was great to be able to have this experience, i learned a lot working here that i have brought with me to other places. I would have to take orders, make orders, and package orders. I would also have to deal with customer complaints
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough staff
Productive and fun loving work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
I have learn a lot of things by working in the A&W, such as how to manage yourself professionally, stay calm and perform multi-task and keeping patience while working under pressure.
Pros
Fun-Loving surroundings
Cons
Long-Weekends
It's was a good job
Front counter (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB26 October 2016
When I started at A&W in 2014 I got to meet a lot new people and my wage was good. I worked hard at my job and it was busy 3/4 all the time. And the service was good but after a few years people left and it got really boaring for me so I would love to try something new and would love to work with new people and a friendly environment
Pros
Good and hot food fast pace
Cons
Workers, wages
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC24 October 2016
Productive lots of cleaning
A day at A&W can consist of being super busy or super slow at night it tends to be very slow but luckily it gives us plenty of time to clean and make sure the place looks very good
Pros
Make friends
Cons
Not everyone's nice
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB16 October 2016
I found that working at the A&W restaurant was fun.The staff and employers were great to work with.Loved the food!I still order the mama combo every time I go to a A&W restaurant.
The most enjoyable part of my job was serving people.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours.
it was fun working in kitchen and making a lot of sandwitches.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2016
One of my good experiences was working on A&W, I had a lot of fun working there; making sandwiches and fries was amazing and also I was learning more and more everyday.
Pros
we use to pay for our lunch, it was not free.
It is great until people don't like you for no apparent reason, probably racist.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 October 2016
it was fun and great, make friends and have fun, until someone snaps on you for nothing, then that person's friends begin to act the same toward you, and when you are working alone with those people, life sucks, they treat you like ish, other than those horrible people, life at the a&w was great
Co workers are great
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Steinbach, MB11 October 2016
The hardest part of the job was being able do what superior says and then what the manager says and what owner says to do at the say time for the exact same job, and not being able to get any hours of work
Cons
Poor work hours
Happy and positive environment
Front Room Crew Member (Cashier and Drive Through) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2016
Everybody treats one another like family. Despite the stigma of working in fast food, the shifts are always fun and enjoyable. Great part-time job....
Pros
Frequent raises and yearly bonus
Cons
Lots of standing
productive and a fun workplace with a table tennis
customer service, take orders, and delivering food (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB9 October 2016
I learned a lot, include how to work with all different types of people. The job also teaches me to communicate with all my co-workers. The job also let me look the world in a different way than I used to do before I got a job.
Productive enjoy and fun cause we are helping each other
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB8 October 2016
I was working in the afternoon closing time 2:30-Closing
I learned many things such as helping each others to reach the target goals and Everything is good
productive workplace, fast paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB26 September 2016
Very fast paced and always busy, I learned always serve customers fast and with a smile, management was very nice and hard worker, co workers worked well together and became a good team, hardest part of the job was it was always busy but the days always went by fast and i' was never standing around.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours
Fast paced job
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Fast paced busy environment. Most of the day went by on your feet back and forth tending to the customers and job responsibilities. Friendly staff and understanding and flexible management.
Pros
Free meal, flexible schedule
Cons
long hours, no breaks
It is worth to work at A&W
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 September 2016
Everyone there were nice to each others. In a few month of my working period, I experienced wonderful time with my co-workers. Cooks helped me to deal with the hardest part- timing, as well as my manager, who taught me much about how to deal with different people from various background.