A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, learning environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oliver, BC27 April 2017
I loved working with new customers every day and engaging with our regulars.A typical day included doing dishes, making coffee, and having my break. It was great.
Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 April 2017
A and W offers a faced paced work environment. Also had an unpleasant experience with management and coworkers, almost a hostile work environment. On top of this I only received 3 hours a week on most weeks which was not satisfactory.
Pros
Easy to learn/ pickup skills (Cashier)
Cons
Poor management
kitchen work food safe
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC27 April 2017
I enjoyed working here it has taught me food safty and social skills
management was good most enjoyable part of the job was cooking as i like cooking myself.
Pros
free lunches
productive, good work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB27 April 2017
Working with A&W for four years was great. I really enjoyed the work environment and the people that i worked with. The company really strives to ensure that all of their employees are well taken care of and have all the necessary training to advance and grow.
Great management. Very busy most of the time.
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
I love working at A&W though they paid low salary and without benefits, the staffs were nice and friendly and the management were really supportive and i learned a lot from this company specially in assisting customers and dealing with a huge rush and busy hours.
Interesting
Waitress/Manager (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS25 April 2017
I started as a waitress and ended up a Manager, I learned a lot about business during that time. Borrowing stock when needed from other stores or competitors when a sale made us short. I learn about advertising, scheduling employees, food in general.

It was a great experience
Pros
free lunches
Agréable selon les personnes travaillant
Cuisinier (Current Employee) –  Rimouski, QC24 April 2017
Beaucoup de vitesse,
Le management est ordinaire,
Aspect plus difficile, les friteuse,car il faut prédire le temps des cuisson et combien de quantité faut t'elle avoir
Pros
Agréable selon les personnes travaillant
Cons
Differente cooperation selon les personnes travaillant
Alright
Manager (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON24 April 2017
Due to the fact a and w is personal owned it is really based on the owner of the store you are working at. I know some places have amazing owners and other who do the bare kin they are told to.
Working at A&W
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON24 April 2017
A typical day at A&W was very Active and high energy. I learned how to work as an active member of the team. I also learned how to keep a positive working climate. Management was wonderful, the were understanding and treated then employees fairly. The toughest part of the job was laving the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team.
Pros
Discount on lunch
Cons
No break room
Fun Company, stressful at times, good company climate, intense time contraints
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2017
It is a very fun job with fun people, but majority of the staff can be very young and the turnover rate can be high at times. Get used to constantly working with new people, and the training loop seems to be never ending. When the staff is strong it is overall a good company
Good first job, not a career.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS20 April 2017
Some employees are not professional, and poor management. It is fine for a first job but it is not a place you want to work for years on end. Good for high school students.
good
Currently, working as chef (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 April 2017
great working at A&W. great environment learnt many new things whilw working there. It gave a great working ans customer service experience to me. And a great team to work with.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
no rises
It was an ok place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON18 April 2017
I liked working there i just didnt like smelling like grease everyday. Very easy job for the most part. I liked putting the burgers together. And the food was also really good.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Stinking like food
It was great
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 April 2017
I very much enjoyed working for A&W. I was given plenty of training, and i was advanced into supervisor within a year. I was given plenty of hours. The only thing was that there was alot of emphasis on delivering profits for management, but little to no rewards for employees or recognition.
Pros
Advancement. Free meals
Cons
Long hours, no recognition
A alright 2 years
Cashier/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC18 April 2017
I did all the janitorial work around the restaurant. I cleaned just about everything there was to clean in the front of the restaurant. I cleaned trays, dishes, floors, tables, windows, and resupplied most of the stock. It kept me busy for sure.
Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC17 April 2017
Liked the speed of the workplace friendly environment and a great workplace with lots of smiling faces! All around a pretty good place to work at.....
A typical day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC16 April 2017
At work I am usually by myself working as 2 people. Always moving around and busy doing something.
The most enjoyable part is having people appreciate what I do and smile as they leave.
did not enjoy working here at all
Front and Drive thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB16 April 2017
unclean and crowded, no one who worked there spoke english so training was extremely difficult! the manager was rarely there and coworkers were extremely unfriendly. DIRTY
Pros
10% discount on food
Cons
terrible restaurant
Worst first job ever...
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 April 2017
I went into this job feeling pretty good. I mean, I just began looking for a job and I got a call back right away. It wasn't until a few weeks into it that I realized I have made a horrible mistake. The other employees that I had were always talking behind my back and making fun of me for my mistakes. The manager that I had was also unhelpful when I made mistakes. All she did was yell at me, even if I wasn't at fault. I took online training and it was unnaturally easy to overcome. I did get some training in person, but it only lasted 10 minutes and it only delt with part of the cash register. The location that I was at wasn't very clean, especially down below in the "employees lounge." Overall, my first job ever was a total nightmare. I'm glad I quit when i did.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Poor training
environnement productif et agréable
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC13 April 2017
les collègues sont amicaux et respectueux, je n'est eu aucun problème a me sentir bien dans l'environnement de travail.
Pros
50% de rabais
Cons
Seulement une pause de 30 minutes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.