A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE28 October 2016
This was my first job and it was great to be able to have this experience, i learned a lot working here that i have brought with me to other places. I would have to take orders, make orders, and package orders. I would also have to deal with customer complaints
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough staff
Simple job, good starter job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 September 2016
The first year was good but after the first never got recognized for the good done. Favouritism was played by the management team, treated unfairly. Management team was physical; shoving/pushing. Verbal abuse and discrimination
Pros
30% off meals
Cons
Long hours such as 5pm-6am shifts
unsafe
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
i worked alone for 3 months alone over night at the queen and spadina location. the manager would turn off his phone & bribe with extra pay for the employees to stay longer than scheduled. anytime there was an issue, it was never dealt with the right way. the thing i enjoyed the most about the job were the beautiful customers
Its good company to work at A&W
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I worked at A&W for 2 months and a half it was good to work there and my pay day was alright not that bad.
Its clean restaurant and they serve good food.
It was so busy.
I quit there because it was so far from.my home and i can't get there buy train or bus
Pros
Get discounts 40%
Cons
12 hours a week
fun but bias
Marine Drive - Service Crew (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 November 2016
the management is very bias in the restaurant i worked at specifically. i worked for them since it opened and yet they romted the person who was hired months after i was working for them, reason: because this person was older than me, so i thought that wasnt fair .
productive and keeps you busy
chef (Former Employee) –  Newton, BC8 September 2016
day at work is cook food. learned how to cook food. management was ok nothing special. co-workers were nice but never spoke languages that i could understand. hardest part of the job was when it got busy and other co-workers didnt help or they were new. most enjoyable was getting paid.
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB16 October 2016
I found that working at the A&W restaurant was fun.The staff and employers were great to work with.Loved the food!I still order the mama combo every time I go to a A&W restaurant.
The most enjoyable part of my job was serving people.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Productive and fun loving work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
I have learn a lot of things by working in the A&W, such as how to manage yourself professionally, stay calm and perform multi-task and keeping patience while working under pressure.
Pros
Fun-Loving surroundings
Cons
Long-Weekends
Casual and friendly environment for new employees.
Team Leader, Kitchen (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2016
After signing in, it starts with checking the inventory level. Then helping and setting things up for the team members for fast service. All these things go along with serving customers. Multitasking at the fast paced environment is required to work at the store.
Team work, working under pressure in a fast paced environment and managing different customers were core learning.
Flexibility in shifts but uncompromising for the service is what best describes the management. Serving customers within a very short time is the hardest part as some orders are really heavy but cooperative and patient coworkers are always there with their helping hand. Working long hours is even fun as the store is so busy and the team is so good overall.
Pros
Flexible shifts and free meal
Cons
Long busy hours.
Meh
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON12 June 2016
The Coworkers were my favorite part of going to work. They make your entire day better. I enjoy making the customers happy. Didn't enjoy the rude customers. Not much room for advancement. Heard " We promote from within" and was there for years with 1 raise to .10 cents and multiple new managers and supervisors hired, not promoted.
Pros
Enjoy coworkers, regular customers, making customers happy
Cons
no advancment, little to no pay raises, good workers go unnoticed
Terrible management and scheduling
Part-Time Cashier / Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 June 2016
I worked their for three months and it was terrible after the first two weeks. They asked for my schedule in the interview and after the first two weeks they completely disregarded my personal schedule.

There are no 15 minute breaks
Lunch is only given after 5 and a half hour shift
People were rude and inconsiderate
Pros
40% discount on food and free drinks
Cons
Scheduling does not benefit you.
Great people to work with, long term employment.
Cashier and cook (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON4 June 2016
A typical day of work at A&W would consist of taking Customer orders and making burgers. At A&W I learned how to multitask and keep myself busy. I also learned how to interact with Customer's and with my co-workers. The Management at A&W is excellent, and always treat their employees with respect. Many of my co-workers are enjoyable to work with as well. The hardest part of the job is that due to higher food cost and employee wages, hours have been cut so there is often more work spread out between fewer people. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the various people that come in throughout the day.
Pros
The people I work with.
Cons
Too much work for a small amount of people.
Happy and positive environment
Front Room Crew Member (Cashier and Drive Through) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2016
Everybody treats one another like family. Despite the stigma of working in fast food, the shifts are always fun and enjoyable. Great part-time job....
Pros
Frequent raises and yearly bonus
Cons
Lots of standing
it was fun working in kitchen and making a lot of sandwitches.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2016
One of my good experiences was working on A&W, I had a lot of fun working there; making sandwiches and fries was amazing and also I was learning more and more everyday.
Pros
we use to pay for our lunch, it was not free.
Family Burgers
Head Cashier and Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at A&W.
The hardest part is mornings as the menue is far more demanding.
My fellow emploees were friendly and funny.
My favourite thing was drive thru.
Pros
Free drinks and half off food
Cons
Improper treatment of shifts and breaks
good workplace with great team members
Cashier, cook / prep. / Onion rings (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 September 2016
management and co workers were very close to each other and very understanding
the most enjoyable part of the job was coming in to see wonderful co workers
i learned how to work fast and efficiently and under pressure.
Fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2016
Great atmosphere
SSupportive coworkers
Cooperative management
Love to work in A&W because I like customer interaction

I enjoy working in such a good environment where I seeek minimal supervision and perform according to the standards
Clean place and good if your looking towards working in the foods industry.
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 May 2016
A day at work would start coming to work dressed and ready. Clocking in my hours and washing my hands. Being back in the kitchen cleaning the equipment, stocking the fridges, and cooking the food to be served to the customer. Taking out any garbage that was needed to be throw away. Having one break and when my shift was over, clocking out and going home.
Pros
Service time
A great place to work at
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 June 2016
I was very nervous on my first day of the job since this was my first job. However, the supervisor, as well as the co-workers were very helpful and patient with me as I learned my way around things. I was able to learn many different things and enjoy at the same time. I loved the work environment; everyone took their job very seriously, which made me want to accomplish more.
Pros
Flexible hours
Fast paced job
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Fast paced busy environment. Most of the day went by on your feet back and forth tending to the customers and job responsibilities. Friendly staff and understanding and flexible management.
Pros
Free meal, flexible schedule
Cons
long hours, no breaks