A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun workplace enviroment
A&W Cashier (Former Employee) –  Deacons Corner, MB3 September 2017
Got along great with my fellow employees and managers, very upbeat atmosphere and it was close to home! Very clean and very friendly regular customers.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Dishes
very comforting workplace
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS3 September 2017
At my A&W location they focused a lot on customer interaction, so through them I got to meet and befriend many locals as well as work on my ability to strike up an conversation with just about anyone. I also learned how to complete tasks quickly with accuracy. My location felt like a family because the owner made it her mission to ensure we were comfortable so she held staff parties (about 4 per year) where the workers would go (some with their families) and play games, win prizes for doing well at work and just relax. some of the parties were at a biking trail, family skate, her house for a bonfire etc.
Pros
discounted food
penticton a& W
Cook (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC1 September 2017
great palce to work, great people to be around and never a dual day well working. i would let anyone know looking for a place to work that A&w is a great palce to work.
Very unnecessarily tense.
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 August 2017
They have this odd rule that the food must be ready in under three minutes. This makes everything very rushed and mistakes are impossible to avoid, and in the food industry that's a very bad thing.
Pros
Pay Raise After Six Months.
Cons
Unnecessarily Tense Environment, Poor Training.
Tiring but fun and fulfilling.
FOOD SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC31 August 2017
> Fun but at the same time tiring because of the tasks you have to perform on a day to day basis. Fun and fulfilling specially if we were able to satisfy the needs of the guests that comes inside our store, when you hear feedbacks from them that our store is a happy place to stay and hang out with.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
No vital benefits such as MSP/ paid breaks
Clean and Organized and a enjoyable place to be.
Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB31 August 2017
I enjoyed working there, my boss was a great boss to work for. The resturaunt was always clean and friendly staff, I made sure we made service times every night I work. And that all paperwork was done either on time or early.
Okay job with good management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC30 August 2017
I have worked here for 4 years from going part time to full time as a supervisor. I enjoyed the few years here but now looking for something outside of fast food.
Pros
The discounts and benefits
Cons
Lots of overtime
Wonderful place to work
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS29 August 2017
management was very cooperative and helped the team out as well as had great communication skills. Hours were always great and people made it seem like i wasn't working at all
It was okay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 August 2017
People needed to be better trained by manager. A lot of work to be done, always moving and long days. needed to listen better to availabilities and time off requests.
Pros
food
Cons
long days
Fast food
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB27 August 2017
Good environment and equality between all employees. Friendly customers and co-workers and management staff. The best first job I could have asked for.
Pros
Half off Food during shift
Cons
Low hours
productive and fun
Customer Service Excellence (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB26 August 2017
-a typical day at work is cleaning and taking orders
- dealing with customer and sometimes complaints
-it can also be fun when one works with hard working coworkers
Its a fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 August 2017
Its a great place to work and its a good to work with new people. But sometimes there will be problems. The manager is the friendly. the people around there is great but there was some issues with hours.
Pros
Great service
Cons
good hours
unstable, high stress environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB25 August 2017
its to stressful of an environment to be in alone. when working by myself it was hard to keep up with all the cleaning and orders i would have to make in between making those orders, and it didn't help that i am making just barely by minimum wage and I've been working there for 3 years is B.S.
Pros
non
Cons
lots of hours and terrible wages
Fast paced environment
CAISSIÈRE (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC25 August 2017
Typical job as a cashier, take orders, prepare drinks. Cleaning, ect. Choice of doing early morning or nights, good tip, low salary. Excellent breakfasts.
Pros
Fast paced, tip
Cons
High priced food
Family like workplace
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Most people i have worked with always has a smile on their face. It can get busy sometimes but time flies when you're busy so i don't mind. The franchise owner is really accommodating with people's schedule. A good portion of the workers there are either in high school or post secondary of some sort so if you are young you will click in instantly. There are also many senior staff that will help you anytime. Everyone is like a second family there. Kinda makes it hard to leave the place.
Pros
Bear miles(bonus), Free meal if you pick a shift
Cons
Some drama but not as much as other places
Productive and somewhat fun work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 August 2017
Good starter job if you're new to working and need experience, people that work there are typically fun loving and know what they're doing, if you're at the right location can be very rewarding job
Pros
Free meal with every shift
Awful work place
A&W Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 August 2017
They were not understanding at all and had very little training time before being pushed onto the job, they were overall rude and nobody worked as a team, the kitchen staff would talk poorly about the cashiers and the cashiers would talk badly about the kitchen staff
Pros
Free pop and coffee
Cons
Minimum breaks
the work itself was fun, I had good co-workers for the most part. Management could have been better.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC20 August 2017
a typical day at work wasn't too bad, I had pretty fun coworkers for the most part. I learned basic kitchen things such as how to operate a fryer, how to prep buns, and first in first out. there wasn't too much workplace culture involved and it seemed as though people were more focused on getting food to customers as quickly as possible. The hardest part of my job was dealing with one of my co-workers that made me want to take a swim in the fryer every time he opened his mouth, but aside from that the job was pretty decent. management could have been better when it came to payday, nobody told me anything and it had been past payday before somebody mentioned that I hadn't picked up my cheque.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
Jerk Co-worker.
Great hours, Flexibility
Kitchen helper, cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE17 August 2017
This was a great job that like any job gave me and learned me new and life long learning skills leading into other potential job opportunities. Diverse work environment.
Pros
Good hours, Flexible, Training is efficient
Cons
Wadges were never negotiable regardless how of good and thriving employee is at their full potential
bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 August 2017
Employees are good to work with but management needs some work. The store gets very busy at times, but never enough staff on shift. The job itself is good. A good first job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval