A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

cashier
Nova Scotia Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS30 January 2017
Atypical day at work consit of makig sure everything was stocked for the day and also till was floated for the day.
It was a good place to work, got along with eveyone.
the boss was really nice.
loved working there.
Pros
half price meals when working
Cons
nothing
fun place to work
Good pay
Nice ambiance
Meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC27 January 2017
It was a good starting point and it taught me lots but I would rather work with the people and not the food, Working there was good, any of the issues i had while working there were personal and not due to said job.
Pros
discounts
Cons
irrational customers
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 January 2017
I love my supervisor and manager, they are the most incredible caring people you will ever meet. its sad that i had to leave because the salary wasn't enough paying for my tuition fees.
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Long Hours
Friendly environment
Front Supervisor/Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON26 January 2017
I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the loving and caring team members I had at there. The job taught me how to use a Point of sale system and interact with customers everyday. After about a year they promoted me to a supervisor. Where I was able to; supervise a team of five on a shift, count the tills and the deposit at the end of the night. I then was moved to the kitchen, where I learned everything there is to know about a fast food kitchen. From emptying the fryers, cleaning the grill, making orders, and calling out what order needs to be focused on first. The environment was amazing and I wouldn't have picked a better place to start working then there.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Grease burns
Great First Job
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC26 January 2017
Great first job, sometimes the schedule is frustrating because the manager does not do it in advance. Less hours when the university people are out of school.
Organized and Clean Franchise. Employees were very nice and understanding.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 January 2017
A typical day at work was always greeting people and ensuring all needs were met for A&W customers. I learned many new customer service skills and it allowed me to gain much more people's skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was being appreciated and acknowledged for when I met store sale goals.
Pros
Co-workers were very friendly and understanding
Cons
Had to pay for food
typical everyday minimum wage job
Cashier/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON25 January 2017
work hard, little pay, little to no recognition, typical from these kind of franchised. there are many incentives to get a free lunch item on your breaks if you get drive through times though!
Pros
lunch incentives
Cons
minimal pay, no recognition
Staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB24 January 2017
Out of everywhere I have worked I think A&W was the best place. The staff and managers and such were amazing. I absolutely loved everything about my job there.
Fun Workplace with Gre
Short Order Cook (Former Employee) –  Hudson, QC20 January 2017
Other Employees are very nice and friendly. Management is considerate and willing to adapt to their employees needs. I've learned a lot, including how to better manage my time and elements in my life. A typical day consists of opening and prepping the restaurant for the day, taking orders and making them. There can sometimes be intense rushes but you feel good when they've passed. There's a prep which includes making meats and chicken and all the condiments at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Close starts at 7:00 and there's a clear process to make said close happen smoothly. Cannot leave earlier than 11:45 pm if you are assigned the close shift. There are team meetings every 2-3 months to improve quality of work.
Pros
50% Discount on days that you've worked.
Cons
Late Closes
Productive and fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 January 2017
I enjoyed working with the coworkers I had, we always helped each other with tasks and when it came to training the new employees they always gave respect and asked for help when needed.
Pros
Break times
Cons
Upset customers
Great co-workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK18 January 2017
Overall a decent place to work. Only complaint would be how difficult things can get during a rush. But, that being said, gave me the skill needed to handle stressful situations.
Various
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2017
There was no 'team' effort amongst employees which made working there very difficult, everyone seemed to be going in different directions. During peak time was frustrating as I was only one person wanting to put in 100% but without team work & others helping to avoid long line ups in the drive thru there were far too many discouraged customers.
Love it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surr17 January 2017
Love it, it was so much fun working there i never felt like i worked there everyone is fabulous i always thought that a jove would be hard but woeking here i never felt like it
not easy to get to north hill location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB16 January 2017
the food is great but not a great place to work. getting there if you don't have a car can be next to impossible especially in the winter time.
Fast-paced and efficient workplace with a friendly attitude
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
A typical day at work would begin with stocking the nearby freezer with enough frozen foods to last us through the dinner rush. When the dinner rush begins, the workers in the kitchen form a highly organized team, working together to make sure that there is always enough food made for orders, and that all the orders are completed in a timely manner. I learned to be able to keep track of many details at once and to remember what has been completed and what still needs to be done. To speak of management is to speak of my co-workers; which is to say, everyone from supervisors to franchise-owners pitch in and pull their own weight to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with all my friendly co-workers, who were more than willing to help new employees learn the ropes of kitchen work.
Pros
Flexible hours; friendly co-workers and employees; quality of job-skill education
Cons
Very high temperature in the kitchen; uncomfortable uniforms
Quality ingredients
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
The company has put money and effort into changing the public perception of fast food, All locations are franchised so one location may be different from another and the corporate culture does not always filter down to the front line, The hardest part of the job is dealing with the public and that is also the most enjoyable.
Pros
Great food
Cons
pay
It was ok to work there
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kedmount road14 January 2017
I loved the job jut managermeny and the people were nasty I love the food and I love the company itself if I were in charge I hire people that wanted to work not just someone lookin for work and complain all the time
Pros
Free lunch awesome job
Cons
The people and the management
Fast Pace and always moving
Cashier/Drive-Thru operator (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON11 January 2017
A great first job. This taught me about the value of working and what it means to be an employee. Everyone is helpful, and the co-workers are helpful and there when needed. Was never afraid to ask questions.
Fun Place to Work
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 January 2017
Flexible hours, non-stressful environment. The customers can be rude at times but its to be expected when working with the general public. Good place to work.