A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews in Canada

fun and productive workplace
TEAM LEADER, FOOD COUNTER ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  lethbridge , canadaOctober 20, 2015
Management and co-workers are easy to work with and there is a balance of excitement and fun at work. Very supportive management, they are willing to pay back your work with the increase of salary and promotion.
Pros
50% staff meal
Cons
graveyard shifts
Amazing place to work
A&W Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Cowichan, BCFebruary 4, 2016
typical day at work, was easy you take orders make drinks and clear tables. I learned a lot like team work, not everyone is hard to handle, management was good everything was pretty much always done. in the time i worked there, there was no problems really. co workers were amazing really funny, and good at their jobs. I would say the hardest part of the job was rush hour in the summer, lines are out the doors it gets hectic. i thnk the most enjoyable part was the workers.
Pros
50% off on shift
Slow and short hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 4, 2016
I personally did not enjoy working with fast food. It was not for me and I got little to no training accomplished. My co workers were very helping and assisted me as much as they could, but the management staff did not communicate very well and did not explain the job requirements clearly enough to someone with little-to no fast food experience. I worked well in the fast paced environment but quickly found this job to not be suitable for my work skills and qualities.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not very good communication between managers and staff, not very good training
productive and challenging work place
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 19, 2016
As a summer intern, I got to work on the client services team along with 20 other interns. The team I was placed on delegated me real work to help them with. Having to balance the work given to me could be difficult at times for at the same time, I had to stay coordinated with the other interns in order to work on our group project. However, everyone I worked with was willing to help and very friendly. The company culture is wonderful, the employees generally seem happy to be working there! I think the energy of the environment drove everyone to do their best, at least for me it did! I learned how to work and prioritze multiple tasks at a time. I also was able to improve my research and presentation skills.
Pros
flexible shift
Cons
Fast paced environment, Always on the go
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 15, 2016
When I was working with A&W I found I was constantly being rushed beyond anyone's capability of working. Our manager was very stern on getting the lowest wait time in the province within the company. When there wasn't a bunch of customers it was pretty relaxed, I just stocked shelves with new material (like straws and napkins) I answered the phone time to time when I wasn't completing someones order. I constantly had to inform our back kitchen of our current wait times, I believe this was our managers way of saying to hurry up or were good. I enjoyed my employment with A&W for the most part but it didn't help the manager was my cousin in law.
Pros
Within Shopping district
Cons
Our manager wasn't very friendly or welcoming to customers and employees
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ONJuly 7, 2016
I like working there but there was a lot of tension between co-workers. I kept to myself. I've learned a lot in the kitchen food safety wise. The manager /owner was really great to work for. I loved the fact that I started at 6:00am and finished at 2:00pm. The hardest part of the job was keeping to myself due to too many little groups of coworkers that would talk about everybody. I was not there to make friends but to do a job. I'm very friendly but do not like drama on a daily basis.
Pros
owner would jump in and help when we had rushes at lunch time.
Cons
just a 30 min break for an 8 hour shift
kitchen
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 9, 2016
everyday was hard but fun day with all of my co workers. I've learned to give and forgive everyone who's been doing wrong. I don't really know about the management but I'll tell you this they been doing good managing at a&w. My co-workers have been good to me since the day that they hired me and the day that I leave. The hardest part of my job was stack up because the storage room was at downstairs thats why its so hard to bring all the stack up. My most enjoyable day was to spent my time working with them.
Pros
50 % off
Cons
9 hours
everyone worked hard, helped each other out, had a fun safe envirnoment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 26, 2016
A typical day would be me coming into work, saying good morning to all of my staff and head down to the basement to change and get ready for work. As soon as I get to work I'm already in work mode and ready to go! clock in and get started on whatever job position I'm set out to do that day. What made go by smoothly for me was when we worked together without having to tell your co-worker to pick up the paste, so we're all doing our shared work load. The work environment really starts to set a positive atmosphere for the costumers when we all pull together and give an excellent service. The most enjoyable part of working there was not the acceptance from your co-workers but the regulars who are happy to see you there. I learned a lot from myself there, such as, my ability to commit, not to crumble under pressure when its busy, quick recovery after a mistake, and get along a team member.
Pros
free lunches from a&w
Cons
getting all sorts of positions everyday.i liked one position
fun, fast paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day would be taking customers orders, bagging food and cleaning the restaurant. It is a very fast paced environment which taught me to work quickly yet efficiently under pressure. Bad management but luckily they weren't always there to deal with. My co workers were the best part of this job because it made everything more fun. The hardest part would have to be dealing with angry customers.
Pros
free food, good co workers, guaranteed hours
Cons
terrible management
fun and exciting workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work was fun but challenging. Management was very friendly and understanding. There was a family feel to the organisation and really enjoyed working with my fellow co workers.

I learned that you have to be friendly to customers no matter what kind of a day you are having which something i managed to do. The hardest part of the job where the days when there was no work available.

I enjoyed interacting with customers the most, I met a lot of nice people and I met people form different backgrounds. I really enjoyed working and interacting with others.
Pros
discounts on meals
Cons
could go for hours without a lot of customers
Awesome Management
Hey Holder/ Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
The owner and manager of this place are amazing. They work hard to make sure they motivate and reward their employees when they are preforming well. I wish I still worked there :(
Pros
50% off food. Free Drinks. Lots of hours. Amazing management. Enjoyable atmosphere
Not recommended.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 5, 2016
Management is non-understanding, poor communication skills, and overall just not a great experience. You'd be better off going to another fast-food company in general, or even to another A&W in another town to avoid this torture.
Friendly staff, Plenty of Work, and Great Management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  7 Balsam, Collingwood, ONNovember 25, 2015
A&W is a great place to start learning the skills that come with fast food full time employment. The staff is very friendly and the work load not overbearing. Maintaining all levels of foods (burgers, fries, chicken) and kitchen cleanliness was priority. All duties should be completed immediately but are not required as long as they are done before your shift is over. Around the usual busy times (lunch and dinner) there is quite an increase in the workload (especially around holidays or town events) but that only made your pace increase, the actual difficulty never increased. The staff is very friendly and the management was very supportive and understanding in a plethora of circumstances. They will also properly train you in the use of all the workplace chemicals, and all the proper procedures when cleaning the kitchen and back dish area.
Pros
Free lunches, Friendly Staff
MY work experience
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 1, 2016
I had great fun at my work but somewhat i was not satisfied with my co-workers as some of them were very bossy.Working at a restaurant is all about multitasking. In any given minute, you could take someone's order, fold a napkin, direct someone to the bathroom, pour more water, and talk to the chef about a guest's dietary restrictions. Trying to keep all of that in your head while smiling is what makes restaurant workers just good workers, generally.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
12hours
Fast paced and great for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 21, 2016
The job was quite straight forward, take orders, clean the restaurant and clean dishes. It was a really great first job as you learn a lot of skills that may be needed at other jobs. The management was really great and everyone that worked there was very nice.
stress free work enviorment with great co-workers
kitchen staff (grill) (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONAugust 18, 2016
I liked working at A&W it was fun even when it was busy there was no stress all the co-workers were nice fun people to be around they we're helpful and easy to get along with you could be so busy it was raining teen burgers but you didn't really feel it because the whole atmosphere of the place was kinda fun and relaxed you know even the supervisors would be cracking jokes sometimes.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
being on your feet all day
Wonderful Place to Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklin, ONMarch 17, 2016
A&W was such a wonderful place to be employed. The management team and group staff were all patient and kind. Lots of diversity in our work community and learnt a lot of reusable skills.
Good place to work at, nice company
Full-Time Night Closer (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ONMarch 25, 2016
They have a strong team work ethic and really motivate you to do your best, and are competent teachers of their "trade" so to speak. They uphold great standards of service and value every employee their. I'd work there again if i could. I learned how to use a fryer, grill station, industrial dish washer, stock freezers, prepare food orders, use a cashier, cleaning of equipment and the store. The hardest part of the job (initially) was working in food rushes when orders would stream in, but i learned to cope and keep up and eventually thrive in rushes.
Pros
Good team, Good food
Cons
Can be a tad hectic during rushes
Fun and energetic environment with a strong family type structure.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCSeptember 13, 2015
A typical day at A&W would either consist of helping many customers in a fast pace environment or preparing the meals for those customers. Both jobs require attention to detail, ability to multitask, and being capable of working alone or within a team. I learned a lot of personal skills and how to manage a budget within my supervisory role, gave me a good understanding of other people and a strong and more diverse skill set to take into the world. There was awesome management, both the immediate management as well as the owner of the work place. Everyone worked well together, very few disputes every to break out. People had each others backs. Coworkers were seriously a second family to me, which was what made leaving so hard! The hardest part of my job was dealing with the low income, especially in regards to how much is expected of you in a day within a fast food restaurant. The most enjoyable part of my day was talking with my customers and making sure they left with a smile.
Pros
Great employee discount, good hours, amazing coworkers and management
Cons
Low hourly wage, no benefits in supervisory role or lower
A&w
Cook, Food Preparation, Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Was an absolute terrible company to work for, regarding the location I was an employee as. The manager was uneducated and incompetent and the staff were all full of drama. I enjoyed the work that I did there, because there was always something to do however the management and owner definitely made it a terrible experience.
Pros
it was a job
Cons
terrible