A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

There was a lot
Kitchen Crew/ Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
A typical work day is getting yelled at and saying I wasn't doing enough when I was working kitchen and front. People would get mad at me when their food wasn't coming up fast enough and going to the back to find my coworkers on their phones. Management would blame myself and coworkers for having a bad attitude when I (with a few others) would take control over lunch and get the times we needed and then would get blamed for everything that wasn't done. I did not enjoy working there and refuse to go back
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
long hours with very little apperciation
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bloor and Islington28 March 2017
Though I have recently been hired, my team at the Bloor & Islington location are extremely fun to work with, and very helpful. The work environment is clean, exciting and interacting with the customers is also swell. Looking forward to the upcoming months being with them.
Pros
Half off food, free drinks minus the oj/apple juice, etc
work at the restaurant
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 November 2016
Would come in and put hairnet on . Cleaned hands , Cleaned up area . I would then wash hands again and make onion rings by hand . Then after that I would clean area again and put the finished product in the freezer . I would then wash the lettuce and tomato's and then prepare the salads . I learned how to work faster . The management was great . She would always help me out if I had questions or concerns . I got along with Co-Workers we worked as a great team . I liked seeing how fast I could finish the job and still keep it with good quality .
Pros
good team work
Cons
short hours not enough
Various
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2017
There was no 'team' effort amongst employees which made working there very difficult, everyone seemed to be going in different directions. During peak time was frustrating as I was only one person wanting to put in 100% but without team work & others helping to avoid long line ups in the drive thru there were far too many discouraged customers.
Stressful and overwhelming workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 February 2017
Definitely underpaid for what you have to do. Must work at a very fast pace with minimal help, can lead to mistakes and even possible injuries as everything in the kitchen is very hot. If other opportunities are present, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
Free drinks, plenty of hours
Cons
Always understaffed, underpaid
Do not work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
when i was working here i found out i was expecting a baby, when i told management they did not like the face that i was not allowed to lift heavy things (pop refills 50lbs each) they told me that i cant take the time that i needed for my doctors each month.
it is a horrible place to work for (the corner of Portage and Sturgeon)
Pros
non
Cons
treated like animals
Fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 February 2017
A lot of unnecessary drama, gossip. Staff is generally good. Management is pretty lax. Don't really do much to fix problems. Hardest part of the job is trying to find the motivation to actually do a good job cause the pay sure isn't enough motivation. Love the people and have meet many life long friends.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Extremely low pay
Daily dutties
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2017
- Evaluate work safe environment.
- Guide staff member of the kitchen and cashiers and work as a team to meet rush hour speed times.
- Organize stock and order products for the the store, at least 3 times a week.
Pros
Managing staff and help coaching staff.
Cons
Sometimes meeting speed times was not always accomplished.
Very good First Time job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 March 2017
Reccomended if you have worked in fast food before since quality of training varies.

Good work atmosphere as people are friendly people

Fast passed

Good for developing customer service skills

Very flexible in the amount of hours you can work
Pros
Paid break
Cons
Sometimes can be stressful
this was just a job to me because people i work with where not to nice
Restaurant Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB6 November 2016
A&W was just a job to me becuase i never really got alot of hours people i work with including a manger where not every nice everyone that was there was part of there on click /group i didn't not like it there i did however love the customer and helping them with there orders getting to know the regulars
Pros
the 50% off meals any time was nice
Cons
to many clicks not enough hours
Productive fun diverse work place
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 March 2017
Very friendly employees and enviourment. Safe working conditions and very clean. Food is always fresh and on point. If there is a problem everyone works as a team to make sure it is resolved.
Pros
Shifts go by fast because its busy and fun.
Cons
Slow times can be boring and painful
Good First Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 February 2017
Overall I enjoyed my time working at A&W. I was very good at my job making it easy to go into work and to communicate with guests whether they were regulars or not! I would say near the end of my employment, management became a lot more difficult to deal with thus causing me to end my job there.
fun and safe place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2016
Working at A&W as an cashier for 2 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavourable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
50% discount on food
Fired after trauma
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2017
I was fired from A&W for missing a shift (with proper amount of warning) and requesting not to work over nights after a man had been stabbed 20 times and nearly bled out in my restaurant when it was only me and my cook there at about 1 am.
Pros
Good people, great discount
Cons
0 compassion, high turnover
it is good place to work and gain experiece in customer service
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2017
I really like working there as it is good place to work and I can really learn good ways of communicating with each other and how to provide friendly customer service to customers.
Pros
Friendly relation, Good Workplace Environment
Cons
Less Hours
Productive fun work place, Fun faced paced enviroment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
My typical day was getting the store ready for breakfast , be there at 615 , put out the creams , start coffee, count till, grab the new papers and open. I learned how to mutlitask, and intract with new customers.
Pros
Meeting new people, having reglaur peopke
Loved working with young people
Store Manager/ franchisee (Former Employee) –  Agassiz8 March 2017
Built the restaurant from the ground up as a family business and brought the first quick service restaurant to the community. Was able to hire and inspire the young people of the community to start them
In the right life path
Pros
People
I didnt like it
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON18 February 2017
I didn't like. There was no diversity. My boss is not very respectful towards his employees. The new manager and boss came in and did not take some of the advice of previous working employees with regards to certain things that would be more productive towards to the company
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC28 December 2016
I enjoyed going to work most days. I liked to work with most of the staff there. The management was poor, another experienced worker and I had to step up at night and close the restaurant even on school nights. I wouldnt get home till 11pm then stay up later to complete homework and juggle school sports.
It's was a good job
Front counter (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB26 October 2016
When I started at A&W in 2014 I got to meet a lot new people and my wage was good. I worked hard at my job and it was busy 3/4 all the time. And the service was good but after a few years people left and it got really boaring for me so I would love to try something new and would love to work with new people and a friendly environment
Pros
Good and hot food fast pace
Cons
Workers, wages

73%