A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Une belle équipe
Chef de quart (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 May 2017
Ma première expérience au Canada ça était très productive une diversité culturelle imbattable. J'ai appris le Travail d'équipe chez AW
Pros
40% de rabais
Cons
Courtes pauses assurance maladie
A&w
Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB12 May 2017
A&W is a very impressive restaurant to work with. It is a fast paced area, where you will always be busy.

The most hardest part of the Job is closing, because they have to let you close all by yourself. It will be one person closing the kitchen and the other in the front.
Pros
Long Hours, Great Pay
Cons
Closes a lot for each employees
Fast Paced and Challenging
A&W Team member (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 May 2017
I found A&W to be a very challenging place to work, it was very fast paced and often overwhelming. However i found it an enjoyable place to work, the staff were mostly friendly and i would recommend it as a place to work.
Good place, good people, but change comes hard, and scheduling was terrible.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 May 2017
The people were friendly and the management was accommodating but was firmly planted in the past, to replace broken materials was a hassle, and management rarely acquired replacements that were desperately needed.
Pros
50% off meals while working
Cons
Scheduling was a nightmare.
Horrible workplace
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON10 May 2017
The A&W that I worked at is not at all how I expected it to be. The owners expect too much of the employee's and do not give credit to those hard working individuals. There is no raise whatsoever and you are told to work 5 free training days, in which I was not taught correctly as they do not have a real training system. They throw you into the kitchen and expect for you to learn by watching others. The workers are very judgemental and do not accept that you are new and may not know how everything works yet. Although, I did learn how to work with customers and keep everything very tidy and clean. The hardest part of the job was working for rude owners, but I enjoyed making money.
Pros
N/a
Cons
5 free days
good teamwork
Midnight Cashier, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 May 2017
team was good and hardworking, awesome food with updated menu, ability to rise in company, hours are flexible, management needs to treat staff better and more like people not just a number
Pros
free meal
Cons
lack on time off
Productive and fun work experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB10 May 2017
I loved working with A&w, interacting with the people especially getting to know the regulars, my boss was so understanding when it came to family emergencies, if there was an opening i would go back to work there in a heart beat
Pros
free coffee
working at A&W
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, QC10 May 2017
The environment is stressful, yet once the rush is done you can see that it takes a team that is willing to work with one and other to accomplish it with great success.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Very critical
Didn't love it, management was poor
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB9 May 2017
Very poor management, under staffed & abused availability. I didn't like how the authority of the restaurant treated me, they could be very rude. Had no problem with the rest of the staff & the job was easily doable.
Pros
50% off while working
Cons
Poor management
Work very hard for very little pay
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 May 2017
Over not a fun place to work unless you part of the in crowed hrs are long and there aways short staffed with management sitting in the office drinking coffee and not helping out!
good place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  1000 emerald drive sherwood park8 May 2017
fast paced environment friendly customers and staff and continue to teach staff new things daily and making sure I have the right people hired for the right position needed
Pros
good boss
environnement de travail
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Talon (58)8 May 2017
très belle envrionnement de travail, belle équipe aussi.
Cons
il beaucoup de tâche a faire en même temps.
environneent de travail productif
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2017
Ambiance mémorable, j'ai appris l"esprit d'équipe en travaillant en équipe.
Pros
50% de rabais
Typical Fast Food
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 May 2017
The A&W location I worked at was a decent place to work. However, the atmosphere was very corporate and unfriendly. The management had issues with dealing with their employees.
Fun
Summer Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pincher Creek, AB3 May 2017
I only worked here for a summer!
This was one of my first actual jobs! I loved every single one of my coworkers, even the boys who always gave me a hard time. I learned most of my customer service skills when I worked here. the management was always in an amazing mood and was always willing to help when you needed it. Everyone who worked with me were pretty well natured and always put a huge smile on my face. the hardest part of my job was that I never really wanted to be there, I was young and did not really know what to spend my money on. I enjoyed creating the long lasting friendships I created.
I wish I could go back.
Pros
Meal discounts
Cons
good attitudes
Great for short term work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON2 May 2017
Working at A&W was a roller coaster of good times and bad. The regular staff were easy to work with and got along most of the time. As long as you stay in your lane, there are no issues. I found a lot of times that you had to do jobs that you weren't necessarily trained for (eg. making breakfast as a cashier along with other side menu items). You kind of just get used to it, but when you first get thrown in it can be somewhat stressful.Training was very limited but you learn as you go. Pay is minimum wage which is what you'd expect at a fast food restaurant, and you can take vacation time or days off a reasonable amount. Overall I did enjoy working there a lot, but it's only tolerable for a short amount of time.
Pros
great staff, plenty of hours, fun
Cons
long shifts, unknown breaks
great
Crew (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 May 2017
It is a good place to work at and a great place to start a career. You learn how to work as a team and contribute the skills that you have to get the results needed.
Awful
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Val Caron, ON1 May 2017
Do not recommend to anybody
the boss at the time was awful
Got harassed
Work was unethical
Always judged
Management sucked
Not a good place to work
Quick Paced, Great People
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 May 2017
A&W was a good place to work for the most part. The people you work with are great and your shifts usually go by pretty quick, as long as its busy. The hours are flexible, especially for students,.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Stressful
great job for anyone
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2017
i loved the job making burgers and smiling with co workers. easy to learn. once you get into the flow of things you can get super fast and have fun. not very hard to do.
Pros
super fun
Cons
not always can you get the hours you want

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval