A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

stress free work enviorment with great co-workers
kitchen staff (grill) (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONAugust 18, 2016
I liked working at A&W it was fun even when it was busy there was no stress all the co-workers were nice fun people to be around they we're helpful and easy to get along with you could be so busy it was raining teen burgers but you didn't really feel it because the whole atmosphere of the place was kinda fun and relaxed you know even the supervisors would be cracking jokes sometimes.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
being on your feet all day
Fun at Times But Very Demanding.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ONAugust 6, 2016
The co-workers are great (well most of them), the management is very poor, only getting your schedule a couple days before you can work, so you can't plan ahead. You are always required to bring a doctors note if you get sick even if it's something small like the flu, you always have to have a replacement. Hardest part of the job is to make sure that you close right all the time and customers aren't upset. The best part are the staff they always do what they can. I learned that I have to be responsible and organised and that somethings aren't meant to be.
Pros
Discounts off 1 meal per shift
Cons
Over worked, no notice in advanced, busy all the time.
Overall challenging workplace
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
While working for A&W I learned a lot, with having over 8 years of Management experience under my belt, I felt quite confident and comfortable towards any future opportunities.

My typical day at work is making sure all store under my area in compliance and well managed.

Management has very strong work ethic and expect excellence.

I did not find anything hard with my current job, and new challenges and tasks make me learn and grow.

Most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all tasks for the day are complete and every guest is happy when they walk out of the restaurant.
Cons
not enough time for family.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ONJuly 7, 2016
I like working there but there was a lot of tension between co-workers. I kept to myself. I've learned a lot in the kitchen food safety wise. The manager /owner was really great to work for. I loved the fact that I started at 6:00am and finished at 2:00pm. The hardest part of the job was keeping to myself due to too many little groups of coworkers that would talk about everybody. I was not there to make friends but to do a job. I'm very friendly but do not like drama on a daily basis.
Pros
owner would jump in and help when we had rushes at lunch time.
Cons
just a 30 min break for an 8 hour shift
Slow and short hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 4, 2016
I personally did not enjoy working with fast food. It was not for me and I got little to no training accomplished. My co workers were very helping and assisted me as much as they could, but the management staff did not communicate very well and did not explain the job requirements clearly enough to someone with little-to no fast food experience. I worked well in the fast paced environment but quickly found this job to not be suitable for my work skills and qualities.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not very good communication between managers and staff, not very good training
MY work experience
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 1, 2016
I had great fun at my work but somewhat i was not satisfied with my co-workers as some of them were very bossy.Working at a restaurant is all about multitasking. In any given minute, you could take someone's order, fold a napkin, direct someone to the bathroom, pour more water, and talk to the chef about a guest's dietary restrictions. Trying to keep all of that in your head while smiling is what makes restaurant workers just good workers, generally.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
12hours
fun workplace, management was not the best
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 8, 2016
I would go to work it was great, love to interact with guests,
the day depended on the staff and how well we got along as if things will go smoothly.

my co- workers were really positive and energetic
i really enjoyed interacting with guests and got to know them a bit better and just to be able to make them smile was the best part of the day :)
Pros
discounted food
Cons
no free food lol
Meh
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONJune 12, 2016
The Coworkers were my favorite part of going to work. They make your entire day better. I enjoy making the customers happy. Didn't enjoy the rude customers. Not much room for advancement. Heard " We promote from within" and was there for years with 1 raise to .10 cents and multiple new managers and supervisors hired, not promoted.
Pros
Enjoy coworkers, regular customers, making customers happy
Cons
no advancment, little to no pay raises, good workers go unnoticed
Terrible management and scheduling
Part-Time Cashier / Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 13, 2016
I worked their for three months and it was terrible after the first two weeks. They asked for my schedule in the interview and after the first two weeks they completely disregarded my personal schedule.

There are no 15 minute breaks
Lunch is only given after 5 and a half hour shift
People were rude and inconsiderate
Pros
40% discount on food and free drinks
Cons
Scheduling does not benefit you.
Great people to work with, long term employment.
Cashier and cook (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 4, 2016
A typical day of work at A&W would consist of taking Customer orders and making burgers. At A&W I learned how to multitask and keep myself busy. I also learned how to interact with Customer's and with my co-workers. The Management at A&W is excellent, and always treat their employees with respect. Many of my co-workers are enjoyable to work with as well. The hardest part of the job is that due to higher food cost and employee wages, hours have been cut so there is often more work spread out between fewer people. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the various people that come in throughout the day.
Pros
The people I work with.
Cons
Too much work for a small amount of people.
Casual and friendly environment for new employees.
Team Leader, Kitchen (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2016
After signing in, it starts with checking the inventory level. Then helping and setting things up for the team members for fast service. All these things go along with serving customers. Multitasking at the fast paced environment is required to work at the store.
Team work, working under pressure in a fast paced environment and managing different customers were core learning.
Flexibility in shifts but uncompromising for the service is what best describes the management. Serving customers within a very short time is the hardest part as some orders are really heavy but cooperative and patient coworkers are always there with their helping hand. Working long hours is even fun as the store is so busy and the team is so good overall.
Pros
Flexible shifts and free meal
Cons
Long busy hours.
Clean place and good if your looking towards working in the foods industry.
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 30, 2016
A day at work would start coming to work dressed and ready. Clocking in my hours and washing my hands. Being back in the kitchen cleaning the equipment, stocking the fridges, and cooking the food to be served to the customer. Taking out any garbage that was needed to be throw away. Having one break and when my shift was over, clocking out and going home.
Pros
Service time
Well Organized company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2016
It is well organized and well managed work environment little to no stress. Most of the co workers were decent people making it worthwhile to work there and the restaurant was well managed making stress almost non existent.
Pros
Great workers and management and decent pay.
Cons
far distance to travel, and location is hard to reach.
A great place to work at
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 5, 2016
I was very nervous on my first day of the job since this was my first job. However, the supervisor, as well as the co-workers were very helpful and patient with me as I learned my way around things. I was able to learn many different things and enjoy at the same time. I loved the work environment; everyone took their job very seriously, which made me want to accomplish more.
Pros
Flexible hours
unsafe
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
i worked alone for 3 months alone over night at the queen and spadina location. the manager would turn off his phone & bribe with extra pay for the employees to stay longer than scheduled. anytime there was an issue, it was never dealt with the right way. the thing i enjoyed the most about the job were the beautiful customers
Fun, educational, and great to start.
Front cashier (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCMay 17, 2016
typical day would be taking orders and delivering customers with a smile.
I learned typical cashier, and housekeeping, along with customer service.
Co-workers and so much fun and supportive.
Management is always great.
Most hardest part is learning the chicken part of the menu on the till.
Enjoyable part is the discount on food, but be careful not to gain weight.
Pros
Discounts for emploees
Good Teamwork and Focus on Employee's good work environment
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABJune 14, 2016
I have learned to uphold more my skills on customer services and values on food service. We valued good team work and respect to each co-worker. We value support and helping each other. We value and give high regard to company's goal which is to provide the best food service to our clients.
Fun workplace, great setting.
Cashier/ Janitorial duties (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLMay 9, 2016
Fast paced environment, learning development skills, how to use a cash register, fill out orders on time. Easy-going, management is great.Co-workers friendly but also some may vary. Difficult communicating with kitchen staff at times, but an overall great place to start off in the working field.
Pros
Half the price for employers only if they are working
Cons
No free lunches
Great environment full of hard working, over achievers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merivale, ONMay 21, 2016
A typical day includes showing up, being greeted and asked how my day is going, and the changing, getting on the work floor, start restocking and getting prepped for any possible rushes. Dealing with customer orders and complaints, while consistently taking drive through orders.
Pros
50% off, great relationships, good management.
It is worth to work at A&W
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 23, 2016
Everyone there were nice to each others. In a few month of my working period, I experienced wonderful time with my co-workers. Cooks helped me to deal with the hardest part- timing, as well as my manager, who taught me much about how to deal with different people from various background.