A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Found 1,058 reviews matching the search
Great hours, Flexibility
Kitchen helper, cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE17 August 2017
This was a great job that like any job gave me and learned me new and life long learning skills leading into other potential job opportunities. Diverse work environment.
Pros
Good hours, Flexible, Training is efficient
Cons
Wadges were never negotiable regardless how of good and thriving employee is at their full potential
bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 August 2017
Employees are good to work with but management needs some work. The store gets very busy at times, but never enough staff on shift. The job itself is good. A good first job
productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 August 2017
I enjoyed learning the different duties
I enjoyed preparing a quality product
I enjoyed getting orders right even when it was very busy
when management was stressed I found it was not a good environment to work in.
hours were too long.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
great stepping stone for a career in customer service
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON12 August 2017
the work is fast paced, and stressful at times, however there is no better substitute for learning the ins and outs of a customer service business and developing skills for the service industry.
Pros
very hands on and engaging
Cons
fast paced work
Nice experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2017
It was nice working over there. I learnt a lot about A&W menu. It was quiet busy place so I learnt how to deal with busy hours but my manager and co- workers over there were not nice.
24 hour restaurant with not enough staff and staffing issues
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 August 2017
great product
I was proud to serve it
I enjoyed learning the different duties
I enjoyed preparing a quality product
I enjoyed getting orders right even when it was very busy
when management was stressed I found it was not a good environment to work in
hours were too long and sometimes all at once on my schedule
Pros
discount for meals after shift ends
Cons
very long hours too many even for their managers
Great Management
Cashier/Runner (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC8 August 2017
There are constant rushes which makes you learn to multitask and manage your time before the end of your shift to do all the tasks demanded.
They try their best to listen to their employee's needs and take immediate action.
The only hard part is when you have to do night shift and tolerate indecent customers however it builds assertiveness and patience.
I did enjoy the people who I worked with and having casual talks with our customers.
Pros
Free Rootbeer, 50% Discount
Cons
Rude customers, Stench on uniform
Two very different locations
COOK (Former Employee) –  Nipawin, SK & Wynyard, SK8 August 2017
The Nipawin location was full of life and character. I was challenged in learning and perfecting new skills. All employees worked well as a team and I enjoyed it.
The Wynyard location was awkward and confusing. There were conflicting orders and I felt terrible that I was told to ignore most food safety regulations in order to keep the job. I did the best I could, but was unhappy and uncomfortable with the environment,demands, coworkers trying to backstab one another, and blatant disrespect all around.
Pros
Nipawin
Cons
Wynyard
Good first job, good mangement
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, ON5 August 2017
I learned a lot from working here, this was my first real job, and it has been going really well, i feel comfortable there, the only part that was a downfall for me was the scheduling of shifts. One shift a week does not suffice a teenage boy with a car and phone to pay for. However everyone there is very welcoming and very nice to work with.
Pros
50% off food when working, good people
Cons
one shift/week
Fast paced environment and productive
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB3 August 2017
It was fun working with people who are really responsible and kind to each others specially the morning shift. But i hate the most is when this one guy comes in, he didn't know how to get a shower . :D
Pros
Free drinks
fun.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 August 2017
good staff, the place needs renovations ASAP(kitchen and front)
everyone's so friendly and nice.
hours work with my life style.
get consistent hours.
everbodys is so welcoming.
Pros
free lunch, consistant hours.
fast paced work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC1 August 2017
extremely busy, keeps you on your toes, always have to be alert. come across all walks of life at our location. i often feel unsafe at work because of it.
What a fun and encouraging place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON1 August 2017
I started up front as a cashier when I was 15 and within a few months I was being trained in the kitchen. Shortly after I was promoted to supervisor. The hours were great. I had the best manager (owner) she was able to work around my school schedule and extra curricular activities. She was very encouraging and helpful. I felt I could go to her with any problem I had both work and personal. Education was very important to her. She tried very hard to teach us as much as we could and rewarded us when we deserved it.

The staff were amazing. We were like a little family. We all worked well together, and everyone was hard workers.

The hardest part of the job was when we got a rush but we always managed to pull through.
Pros
Great Learning enviroment
Cons
working in a greasy kitchen
Great people
cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 July 2017
The people are good, training is good, you get a discount on meals, and they tell you there's chances for advancement but htat only happens if you're one of the owners favorites
Pros
discounted food
Cons
Crummy management
Friendly staff
A&W Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON29 July 2017
I enjoyed working with everyone but overall i don't think this is a job that suits me. The shifts were decent. The pay was nice and I liked having benefits.
Decent place and calm
Cook and Closer (Former Employee) –  Summerland, BC28 July 2017
Fast paced but simple work. management helps a lot with the work and is very caring towards the staff. get to know regulars and work with really great people.
Pros
Free soda and half off meals
Cons
small place
Productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 July 2017
enjoying the work with co-workers
multicultural business
Management take care about RDO by each and every staff member
specific break time after each 5 hours
was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB26 July 2017
We never had any specific "break" area, and only had one washroom. The manager never seemed to be on duty, and never fixed the order machines or screens. Just didn't seem as pleasant as it could have been.
Working in A&W is a privilage.
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR/Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2017
Busy,productive and happy with my co workers,
Management appreciate my work, my sacrifices and my hard work.
I learned lot in A&W
Hardest part of my job when I am run out of staff and needs to call an available staff.
I am very much enjoy and happy working in A&W during boxing day although its really really busy but our sales is too big x 10 in our regular day.
Pros
free food
Cons
if its busy they gave us long hours
Different. Could be me due to different work background industrial vs service industry.
Fast Food Cook (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB25 July 2017
Good hours, along with choice in availability of shift and hours. Enjoyable between employees. Too friendly with management possible liaison from management to employees also implementing liaison from front to back job entitlement cause problems when fixing and implementing especially from the front crew to the back crew due to that lack of structure it can become personal to employees. The work and work environment overall was good. lack of structure when shift change comes around employees missing or showing up late due to personal life affects others who work there. The hardest part of the job is fixing foods and loss of foods and time when orders changed or miss communicated whether punched into the computers wrong. Good job security along with enforced breaks. The computers can be structured and improved ex. to go orders vs to stay. another ex. removing finished orders should only affect the back monitors. while it still remains on in the front monitors for the front crew and them having their own item removal button for when they are done bagging and serving the customers it would improve overall.
Pros
Lunch came with daily shift. The benifits when past probation period. Good hours.
Cons
Employees entitlement due to thier status and length of employment, Lack of structure in liasion from front crew to back crew.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval