A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Poor work environment, management is terrible
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON24 February 2018
Super strict and harsh management, very little opportunities for growth. Crowded work space, long hours and high stress consistently. Basic benefits and pay, with no improvements to either during the duration of employment.
Cons
terrible management, long hours
didnt enjoy it
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2018
they didn't fire me they just stopped giving me shifts and then took my name off the employment list. they didnt really treat everyone as an equal. certain people got the good tasks and others got the saem task ie: washing dishes from start of shift to end
Wouldn't recommend.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON21 February 2018
Whenever i worked there, there was a lack of enthusiasm among the staff. A lot of the front staff didn't take the job seriously. It has since relocated and has all new staff however.
Work environment..
Cashier& Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON21 February 2018
Not a great place to work at all.
Waiting for new management.
There is absolutely no room for advancement when working here. the Manager and supervisors have claimed their positions and the boss is never at the store, therefore the store seems to be ran by the supervisors and manager themselves.
Pros
Free meal if called in to work for a shift
Cons
schedules made no sense at all
fun fast paced environment get familiar with elderly who come in in the mornings
A&W Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC21 February 2018
Loved working all night and always looked forward to seeing the regulars, the hours were long but the pay was too low for a single mom, great for students who don't want to have to ask mom and told no but terrible for single moms!
Pros
free food
Cons
comes off ur check bro
A&W is a good first job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2018
A typical day at work would be refilling and preparing for the day. In A&W, you would get to know the customers and get to memorized their order. The hardest part working in A&W would be dealing with complains and rude costumers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
minimum wage
Stricte
Cuisinier (Former Employee) –  Berthierville, QC20 February 2018
Les lois tres stricte en se qui concerne la propreter des lieux nous devions donc etre vigilants en tout temp
Pros
Pause payer
Cons
Il fait froid et nous somme souvent trempé
its alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 February 2018
Environment can be healthy, especially if its 30 year olds working fast food that hate their life. Hard to keep positive in an unhealthy environment so be careful which location u work at.
Fun and relaxed, wont go far.
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC19 February 2018
I've truley enjoyed my years of service at my location. Its a great atmosphere and has great on paper standards. However due to a lack of quality management i've been forced to look elsewhere for employment.
poor scheduling
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 February 2018
not a great place to work.Poor working environment, hostile management, scheduling changes last minute.

Learned how to work quickly under pressure.

Improper use of time throughout the day, leaving things undone or done improperly.
Caring and fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 February 2018
I improved my communication skills considerably while working here and learned to deal with guests effectively. This job has given me an opportunity to take on a leadership role which is always an asset for future endeavors. As a manager, I learned from my employees as well as the franchisees with whom I had a good rapport. A lot of effort is put into maintaining a cordial climate to prevent any issues that will hamper productivity.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No place to grow
Great if you like being taken advantage of
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2018
A typical day at work is where one spends 8-16 hours a day, no breaks, and given heck by everyone and their dog. It's a job though, if nothing else. you should have thick skin if you consider fast food.
Pros
50% discount on food
Eh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 February 2018
Not the worst job but the management overall was not good. Constantly switching managers and not adequate training. On more than one occasion, there was only one employee scheduled
Was fun when everything was working perfect
Management Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON16 February 2018
My days were often good but some employees played favourites often which created a bad environment. This job is perfect for a first job as is any fast food. They were able to work around my schedule for school and sports.
professionnel
Cuisinier/plongeur (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 February 2018
c’était une bonne expérience pour moi ou j'ai appris plusieurs chose
Pros
rencontrer des nouvelles personnes
Cons
Trop de stresse du fait aue c'etait au centre ville
Horrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON14 February 2018
Horrible place to work, manager is as immature as at 10 year old and is creepy, Team lead is rude and the newer people she expects you to do all the work (clean floors, do dishes, clean tables etc...) When you try and say no she throws a fit like a 5 year old
A&W District Manager
Area Manager/District Manager (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON14 February 2018
A typical day at A&W is exciting and challenging, with new challenges every day from store performance, sales, hiring and recruitment. Overall I have learned a lot while working with the company about the day to day challenges of a Management position.

Most enjoyable part of my job would be having a new challenge every day in the job, which make the jobs interesting and challenging.
Exciting
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 February 2018
I loved working for A&W, wished I would've got more hours because they pay wasn't very good. But the people that work there are amazing. I loved learning new things from there. I know how to cook perfect burgers
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
good place to start work
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK13 February 2018
people I work with are very outgoing, the management staff are a great team to be working with also it's great way to start work experience for a resùme.
Easy part time job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 February 2018
The job is easy and at times can be fun, but it can be long hours and tiring days. They are very flexible, but understaffed. Overall not a bad place to work
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Customers can be hard to deal with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.