A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews in Canada

not flexible
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2016
Management wasn't very flexible. I started college while working there and some times I had to skip class in order to go to work because they wouldn't let me go a little later.
I would not recommend this job to anybody
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJuly 26, 2016
The restaurant I worked for was owned by a company, there was a lot of favouritism and favourism, work place was very stressful
Franchise standards were not followed, no appreciation for work.
I would love to share this incidence here, as per franchise rule every
restaurant is bound to have a temperature binder and they have to be noted everyday. When I stared to do them as the job was assigned to me after I was promoted, I found a mistakes in the previous months, the person did not knew the difference between Celsius and fahrenheit, so I told my area manager about it as there was no manager there at that point of time. She got mad at me and said its same I had to argue with her and explained her that its different though they both are units of temperature but have different value for same temperature. So she called A&W corporate to confirm that and she was the one recording temperatures before me. I don't know how that restaurant passed the audits in past.
Pros
I personally don't know any
Cons
Everything about that place
Its ok
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, ONJuly 23, 2016
The manager there isn't very productive. Everyone on day staff just does what they want and every other shift is expected to pick up the slack of the day staff. No one does what they are suppose to or asked to. It's all kids that work there.
team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 20, 2016
how to adjust in any situation
how to work with a team
time management
making food is the enjoyable part of the job
co-operative workers
Pros
good management
Cons
less hours
I loved it here
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJuly 16, 2016
I absolutely loved it here, they were willing to work around my schedule, give me the hours I need, very friendly everyone treated each other with respect
Great Atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 13, 2016
I got to work Day in and day out with kids and it was such good feelings, teaching them about what I know and having them teach me too.
fun workplace, management was not the best
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 8, 2016
I would go to work it was great, love to interact with guests,
the day depended on the staff and how well we got along as if things will go smoothly.

my co- workers were really positive and energetic
i really enjoyed interacting with guests and got to know them a bit better and just to be able to make them smile was the best part of the day :)
Pros
discounted food
Cons
no free food lol
Working in a dynamic team
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 8, 2016
What I enjoyed the most about my job was being able to meet new people, creating a good network.
The people I work with have always interested background, everyone get to know each other when
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ONJuly 7, 2016
I like working there but there was a lot of tension between co-workers. I kept to myself. I've learned a lot in the kitchen food safety wise. The manager /owner was really great to work for. I loved the fact that I started at 6:00am and finished at 2:00pm. The hardest part of the job was keeping to myself due to too many little groups of coworkers that would talk about everybody. I was not there to make friends but to do a job. I'm very friendly but do not like drama on a daily basis.
Pros
owner would jump in and help when we had rushes at lunch time.
Cons
just a 30 min break for an 8 hour shift
a very fun place to work.
Cook and cashier (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJuly 7, 2016
a typical day at work has lots of ups and downs and you can always find something to do, it can be stressful at times but its always a lot of fun.
Pros
flexible hous
Slow and short hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 4, 2016
I personally did not enjoy working with fast food. It was not for me and I got little to no training accomplished. My co workers were very helping and assisted me as much as they could, but the management staff did not communicate very well and did not explain the job requirements clearly enough to someone with little-to no fast food experience. I worked well in the fast paced environment but quickly found this job to not be suitable for my work skills and qualities.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not very good communication between managers and staff, not very good training
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 3, 2016
It was an extremely easy job, took front orders, drive thru orders and also helped kitchen staff. Over all I think it is a good workplace and it is worth working, however only if you are looking for part-time.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Not enough hours
Casual and friendly environment for new employees.
Team Leader, Kitchen (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2016
After signing in, it starts with checking the inventory level. Then helping and setting things up for the team members for fast service. All these things go along with serving customers. Multitasking at the fast paced environment is required to work at the store.
Team work, working under pressure in a fast paced environment and managing different customers were core learning.
Flexibility in shifts but uncompromising for the service is what best describes the management. Serving customers within a very short time is the hardest part as some orders are really heavy but cooperative and patient coworkers are always there with their helping hand. Working long hours is even fun as the store is so busy and the team is so good overall.
Pros
Flexible shifts and free meal
Cons
Long busy hours.
productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 1, 2016
I enjoy my co-workers and my regular customers. always busy, management is okay, can get stressful but it gets better. customers are funny and sometimes tips us.
MY work experience
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 1, 2016
I had great fun at my work but somewhat i was not satisfied with my co-workers as some of them were very bossy.Working at a restaurant is all about multitasking. In any given minute, you could take someone's order, fold a napkin, direct someone to the bathroom, pour more water, and talk to the chef about a guest's dietary restrictions. Trying to keep all of that in your head while smiling is what makes restaurant workers just good workers, generally.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
12hours
Not a good place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Williams lakeJune 30, 2016
Most of all the A&W is not organized at all. Certainly not a good place to work because you will definitely be bullied at work and the management is not gonna do anything about it
Pros
Free drink and 50% of when on duty
Cons
A lot of favouritism going on in this particular branch, management is not actively doing their job
Fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 26, 2016
Good place to work, tiring at rush hour but nothing too extreme. I would work there again it's a friendly environment co-workers were kkind and helpful
productive and great team to work with
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 26, 2016
Food preparation was the most important part of my job. I would show up in the morning and make sure that all aspects of the kitchen was ready to go for the day.I would still be there unfortunately I was not achieving what I went to school for.
Small uneficcient facility
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 20, 2016
Managment is judgemental and unfair, staff doesnt get along, people dont pay attention to what the task to be completed is
Pros
discount
Cons
discount is only when youre working
Ridiculous Place
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJune 18, 2016
Wouldn't recommend any employment here. The workplace is trash. The management sucks. There is no room for ladder-climbing in the industry. The owners are idiots who think they're above them all. The owner at Confed INCLUDED.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Long hours, poor management