A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  West Lorne, ON21 February 2017
Very reliable job and great company. Taught me the value of customer service and how important guests are. Management was slightly disorganized but they made up for it by being supportive and understanding. The job itself was very enjoyable and I worked as a team with great people. Good fast paced environment. Good salary and benefits
Pros
Great team and work environment
Cons
Management was disorganized
Good place to work well in school
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Hope, BC10 February 2017
Great starter job to show you how an actual job with scheduling works and can earn good money for a student to earn well in high school to save for a car or phone
Pros
People at the job tried mackin it fun
Cons
Long hours not many raises
fun place to work
Good pay
Nice ambiance
fun and safe place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2016
Working at A&W as an cashier for 2 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavourable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
50% discount on food
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 January 2017
I love my supervisor and manager, they are the most incredible caring people you will ever meet. its sad that i had to leave because the salary wasn't enough paying for my tuition fees.
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun work place
Cashier & Cook (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB8 January 2017
Working at A&W can be very beneficial. Certain restaurants off scholarships depending on the owner as well as good benefits for full time employees. The workplace is generally busy but the hours can be flexible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
very busy/fast pase work
Happy and positive environment
Front Room Crew Member (Cashier and Drive Through) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2016
Everybody treats one another like family. Despite the stigma of working in fast food, the shifts are always fun and enjoyable. Great part-time job....
Pros
Frequent raises and yearly bonus
Cons
Lots of standing
Fun place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, BC15 November 2016
Great people to work with, had some good times and some bad, but we made it through and raised our restaurant to the #2 position in all of Canada from last place! Good times
it was okay
Restaurant Cook and Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 August 2016
-messed up schedules
-no benefits
-does not get paid in holidays at all for part time
-manager(s) does not teach well newbies
-customers are super mean and very demanding
Pros
free lunches and drinks
Cons
long hours, no breaks at all if busy, improper salary
A good job for young people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 September 2016
It's fairly easy to move up but the salary increase is not worth the extra work at all. Once you have made it past the probation it's really hard to get fired so the job security is good. Schedule flexibility sucks once you get good at the job and it's next to impossible to get a sick day they get you to call people to see if they will cover your shift for you and it really sucks doing that when you're actually sick. For me, I will go in sick, injured, whatever but if I'm calling in and missing out on money worrying about having someone cover my shift is not pleasant especially when almost everybody at the job also goes to school. Being there for a few years I thought I'd be expecting more money per hour but that's not the case I got a raise almost a year ago and it seems to be stuck where it is now. Between being nice to rude customers and babysitting other employees by telling them to get off their phones, stop talking for so long so we can get things done then you can talk, please speak English I've been told to tell you all to, etc. it's just a horrible place to work - for me, in my opinion. It's a really good place to work if you're a teenager and want some extra money for doing fairly easy work but for somebody whose older and has responsibilities and has bills to pay not at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is nice customers and staff, seeing the clock and knowing you're going home soon, and pay day.
Pros
40% off up to 1 meal while on shift
Cons
Doesn't pay much more with expectations of lots more work to be done
There was a lot
Kitchen Crew/ Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
A typical work day is getting yelled at and saying I wasn't doing enough when I was working kitchen and front. People would get mad at me when their food wasn't coming up fast enough and going to the back to find my coworkers on their phones. Management would blame myself and coworkers for having a bad attitude when I (with a few others) would take control over lunch and get the times we needed and then would get blamed for everything that wasn't done. I did not enjoy working there and refuse to go back
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
long hours with very little apperciation
Meh
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON12 June 2016
The Coworkers were my favorite part of going to work. They make your entire day better. I enjoy making the customers happy. Didn't enjoy the rude customers. Not much room for advancement. Heard " We promote from within" and was there for years with 1 raise to .10 cents and multiple new managers and supervisors hired, not promoted.
Pros
Enjoy coworkers, regular customers, making customers happy
Cons
no advancment, little to no pay raises, good workers go unnoticed
Great
A&W Cashier & Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 April 2016
Amazing to work for, Management was awesome for answering questions and addressing concerns. They ensured they kept their promises and tried to fit your life style the best they could. Were understanding when you were sick and ensured that you did not have to worry about job security just because you needed a sick day.

They put you in the job you are the most comfortable with and ensured that you were well trained and prepared to take on the day to day challenges. It was a very team oriented job, you had to work with your team to make sure you got the job done right, there was no shame asking for help when it got busy, and all hands on deck was something that we all understood. You could be sure that someone was there to help when you REALLY needed it.

Breaks were given at the right times, and there was little to no arguments on who went first, we all understood the order and worked great together.

Only reason I left was that I got a better job offer that had benefits. I wish I'd never left though and would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
A team you can count on, Training that is dependable and helpful, Management that actually cares about you.
Cons
No benefits, Fast Past, Some customers could get cranky and downright mean.
Fun Workplace with Gre
Short Order Cook (Former Employee) –  Hudson, QC20 January 2017
Other Employees are very nice and friendly. Management is considerate and willing to adapt to their employees needs. I've learned a lot, including how to better manage my time and elements in my life. A typical day consists of opening and prepping the restaurant for the day, taking orders and making them. There can sometimes be intense rushes but you feel good when they've passed. There's a prep which includes making meats and chicken and all the condiments at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Close starts at 7:00 and there's a clear process to make said close happen smoothly. Cannot leave earlier than 11:45 pm if you are assigned the close shift. There are team meetings every 2-3 months to improve quality of work.
Pros
50% Discount on days that you've worked.
Cons
Late Closes
typical everyday minimum wage job
Cashier/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON25 January 2017
work hard, little pay, little to no recognition, typical from these kind of franchised. there are many incentives to get a free lunch item on your breaks if you get drive through times though!
Pros
lunch incentives
Cons
minimal pay, no recognition
great work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 January 2016
Working at A&W as an Assistant Manager for 5 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavorable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
Pros
Free meal, health benefits
Cons
less work/life balance
Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 December 2016
A&W was a great job for a teenager still in highschool. The management wasnt awesome, but the staff was great. It was very busy, and you have to be quick on your feet and have good time management skills and multitasking skills. Menu board needed more clarifying on the drive-thru for when breakfast ended. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the customers when they all came in at the same time, and rush hours when the drive thru screen filled up. Workers in the back kitchen were slow which resulted in slow food being made and out to customers. The most enjoyable part of this job was the co workers. Hours were ok, only open till 9 which is good for people still in school.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Very Busy
Fast-paced and efficient workplace with a friendly attitude
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
A typical day at work would begin with stocking the nearby freezer with enough frozen foods to last us through the dinner rush. When the dinner rush begins, the workers in the kitchen form a highly organized team, working together to make sure that there is always enough food made for orders, and that all the orders are completed in a timely manner. I learned to be able to keep track of many details at once and to remember what has been completed and what still needs to be done. To speak of management is to speak of my co-workers; which is to say, everyone from supervisors to franchise-owners pitch in and pull their own weight to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with all my friendly co-workers, who were more than willing to help new employees learn the ropes of kitchen work.
Pros
Flexible hours; friendly co-workers and employees; quality of job-skill education
Cons
Very high temperature in the kitchen; uncomfortable uniforms
It was good.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON13 February 2017
A&W gets busy and we have to learn to work really well as a team under pressure in order to get the job done properly. I learned many things here, for example; Maintained high standards of customer service during high-volume, fast-paced operations. Communicated clearly and positively with coworkers and management, handled currency and credit transactions quickly and accurately, resolved complaints promptly and professionally, followed procedures for safe food preparation, assembly, and presentation I enjoyed interacting with customers and making them smile to make there visit pleasant and my day better.
Flexible place to work for people with small children
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB21 February 2017
Flexibility with schedules, for new moms, low pay, no chance of making carrier.
not enough adults working there so everybody is treated like high school students, Management have paid breaks of 30 minutes and a free meal which in occasions it never happens.
No friendship is allowed between employees,
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
slavery