A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Really fun workplace , Great first job and gives valuable experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC20 May 2017
I learned while working at A&W that I have passion for making others happy but also valuable first hand experiences with different types of people in the world
productive and fun workplace
Line Cook/Onion Ring Maker (Former Employee) –  Mount Forest, ON20 May 2017
Working on a ladder making onion rings and lifting the machine up on table all he time was aggravating my fibromyalgia, other wise I enjoyed working there. They gave me time off when needed it. Just wish that they could get the schedule up a week in advance.
Pros
employee discount on food
Cons
lack of comunication about changes
A&w
Kitchen Staff and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS20 May 2017
I enjoy working with the staff! everyone is friendly and very helpful and also correct me when I am wrong and show me how to do the job right. I am still learning at my job but my pay is a little low and I am getting fewer hours which is a concern of mine but i hope they will get better soon.
Pros
cheap lunch's and friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Best Comapany
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BC18 May 2017
I love working at A & W Canada. People are great and helping each other in all we know. they pay overtime pay and people re awesome. If have given a chance I will come back to this company.
Pros
50% for all the employee. you can each anything you want
Cons
lmia has gone
Best fast food restaurant to work at
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 May 2017
Great owners of the one I worked at, pay was good for what it was, easy to work with other people there. Management worked well alongside the employees
Good Workplace
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  1990 Hallstone Road17 May 2017
Good Workplace and help to increase communication skills.
Love to interact with different people and serve them.
Come to know how to handle different types of customer
Fun and busy
Cashier & Cook (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK16 May 2017
Depends if youre in the front or back youre either frozen or sweating up front and talking to customers with a smile, in a rush to put their food on their tray or your running around the back looking at times when everything is done or overdo.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Personal issues brought into the area
Very demanding for the salary offer
Assistante Gérant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2017
I was assistant manager, very demanding long hours for the salary i was making. We were two assistant managers but the load of work were not shared equaly.
Cons
nort even lunches free or drinks for employes
A&w
Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB12 May 2017
A&W is a very impressive restaurant to work with. It is a fast paced area, where you will always be busy.

The most hardest part of the Job is closing, because they have to let you close all by yourself. It will be one person closing the kitchen and the other in the front.
Pros
Long Hours, Great Pay
Cons
Closes a lot for each employees
Fast Paced and Challenging
A&W Team member (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 May 2017
I found A&W to be a very challenging place to work, it was very fast paced and often overwhelming. However i found it an enjoyable place to work, the staff were mostly friendly and i would recommend it as a place to work.
Good place, good people, but change comes hard, and scheduling was terrible.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 May 2017
The people were friendly and the management was accommodating but was firmly planted in the past, to replace broken materials was a hassle, and management rarely acquired replacements that were desperately needed.
Pros
50% off meals while working
Cons
Scheduling was a nightmare.
Horrible workplace
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON10 May 2017
The A&W that I worked at is not at all how I expected it to be. The owners expect too much of the employee's and do not give credit to those hard working individuals. There is no raise whatsoever and you are told to work 5 free training days, in which I was not taught correctly as they do not have a real training system. They throw you into the kitchen and expect for you to learn by watching others. The workers are very judgemental and do not accept that you are new and may not know how everything works yet. Although, I did learn how to work with customers and keep everything very tidy and clean. The hardest part of the job was working for rude owners, but I enjoyed making money.
Pros
N/a
Cons
5 free days
good teamwork
Midnight Cashier, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 May 2017
team was good and hardworking, awesome food with updated menu, ability to rise in company, hours are flexible, management needs to treat staff better and more like people not just a number
Pros
free meal
Cons
lack on time off
Productive and fun work experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB10 May 2017
I loved working with A&w, interacting with the people especially getting to know the regulars, my boss was so understanding when it came to family emergencies, if there was an opening i would go back to work there in a heart beat
Pros
free coffee
working at A&W
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, QC10 May 2017
The environment is stressful, yet once the rush is done you can see that it takes a team that is willing to work with one and other to accomplish it with great success.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Very critical
Didn't love it, management was poor
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB9 May 2017
Very poor management, under staffed & abused availability. I didn't like how the authority of the restaurant treated me, they could be very rude. Had no problem with the rest of the staff & the job was easily doable.
Pros
50% off while working
Cons
Poor management
Work very hard for very little pay
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 May 2017
Over not a fun place to work unless you part of the in crowed hrs are long and there aways short staffed with management sitting in the office drinking coffee and not helping out!
good place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  1000 emerald drive sherwood park8 May 2017
fast paced environment friendly customers and staff and continue to teach staff new things daily and making sure I have the right people hired for the right position needed
Pros
good boss
Typical Fast Food
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 May 2017
The A&W location I worked at was a decent place to work. However, the atmosphere was very corporate and unfriendly. The management had issues with dealing with their employees.
Fun
Summer Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pincher Creek, AB3 May 2017
I only worked here for a summer!
This was one of my first actual jobs! I loved every single one of my coworkers, even the boys who always gave me a hard time. I learned most of my customer service skills when I worked here. the management was always in an amazing mood and was always willing to help when you needed it. Everyone who worked with me were pretty well natured and always put a huge smile on my face. the hardest part of my job was that I never really wanted to be there, I was young and did not really know what to spend my money on. I enjoyed creating the long lasting friendships I created.
I wish I could go back.
Pros
Meal discounts
Cons
good attitudes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.