A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Relaxed and friendly environment
Cashier and Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick6 February 2017
In general A&W is a relaxed and calm restaurant to work at. A typical day is slow; there are many orders in the morning, around noon and between five to seven. There are very few orders in between those hours. This allows for plenty of time to keep up with cleaning the dining room and keeping my work station clean and well stocked. The staff is kind and easy to get along with and management is very friendly and accommodating. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with impatient customers late at night when there aren't enough hamburger patties ready for the order.
It was good.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON13 February 2017
A&W gets busy and we have to learn to work really well as a team under pressure in order to get the job done properly. I learned many things here, for example; Maintained high standards of customer service during high-volume, fast-paced operations. Communicated clearly and positively with coworkers and management, handled currency and credit transactions quickly and accurately, resolved complaints promptly and professionally, followed procedures for safe food preparation, assembly, and presentation I enjoyed interacting with customers and making them smile to make there visit pleasant and my day better.
Friendly environment
Front Supervisor/Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON26 January 2017
I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the loving and caring team members I had at there. The job taught me how to use a Point of sale system and interact with customers everyday. After about a year they promoted me to a supervisor. Where I was able to; supervise a team of five on a shift, count the tills and the deposit at the end of the night. I then was moved to the kitchen, where I learned everything there is to know about a fast food kitchen. From emptying the fryers, cleaning the grill, making orders, and calling out what order needs to be focused on first. The environment was amazing and I wouldn't have picked a better place to start working then there.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Grease burns
Organized and Clean Franchise. Employees were very nice and understanding.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 January 2017
A typical day at work was always greeting people and ensuring all needs were met for A&W customers. I learned many new customer service skills and it allowed me to gain much more people's skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was being appreciated and acknowledged for when I met store sale goals.
Pros
Co-workers were very friendly and understanding
Cons
Had to pay for food
Fun Workplace with Gre
Short Order Cook (Former Employee) –  Hudson, QC20 January 2017
Other Employees are very nice and friendly. Management is considerate and willing to adapt to their employees needs. I've learned a lot, including how to better manage my time and elements in my life. A typical day consists of opening and prepping the restaurant for the day, taking orders and making them. There can sometimes be intense rushes but you feel good when they've passed. There's a prep which includes making meats and chicken and all the condiments at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Close starts at 7:00 and there's a clear process to make said close happen smoothly. Cannot leave earlier than 11:45 pm if you are assigned the close shift. There are team meetings every 2-3 months to improve quality of work.
Pros
50% Discount on days that you've worked.
Cons
Late Closes
Fun, and a little misguided
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 January 2017
Fast-paced environment, almost always. coworkers become more like family than any other job, small space means you learn a lot about your coworkers, and their ticks, and especially when not to tick them off. Loving work environment always. Learning how to resolve problems became a huge thing for us as working in our small "family" we had to learn that we we're always going to get along.
Pros
food
Cons
stressful understaffed shifts.
Productive and fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  West Lorne, ON21 February 2017
Very reliable job and great company. Taught me the value of customer service and how important guests are. Management was slightly disorganized but they made up for it by being supportive and understanding. The job itself was very enjoyable and I worked as a team with great people. Good fast paced environment. Good salary and benefits
Pros
Great team and work environment
Cons
Management was disorganized
productive and challanging
Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 December 2016
a typical day is: start with the checklist for making sure all the standards are followed.
everyday leaning is how to deal with different situations
making sure everyone in the management performing their duties well
friendly co-workers, enjoy working with all of them
while scheduling, making sure its flexible according to their availability
dealing with the customer
Pros
free meal for the day
Cons
not worth for the pay
Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 December 2016
A&W was a great job for a teenager still in highschool. The management wasnt awesome, but the staff was great. It was very busy, and you have to be quick on your feet and have good time management skills and multitasking skills. Menu board needed more clarifying on the drive-thru for when breakfast ended. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the customers when they all came in at the same time, and rush hours when the drive thru screen filled up. Workers in the back kitchen were slow which resulted in slow food being made and out to customers. The most enjoyable part of this job was the co workers. Hours were ok, only open till 9 which is good for people still in school.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Very Busy
There was a lot
Kitchen Crew/ Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
A typical work day is getting yelled at and saying I wasn't doing enough when I was working kitchen and front. People would get mad at me when their food wasn't coming up fast enough and going to the back to find my coworkers on their phones. Management would blame myself and coworkers for having a bad attitude when I (with a few others) would take control over lunch and get the times we needed and then would get blamed for everything that wasn't done. I did not enjoy working there and refuse to go back
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
long hours with very little apperciation
A&W employee (Former Employee) –  Martensville, SK20 December 2016
Working at A&W was great in my opinion, everyone was very diverse and yet we all got along the manager was great and the costumers were always nice. I learned to be quick, talk more and communicate with my co-workers. The hardest part was being quick for the busy hours other then that it was fun and the most enjoyable thing for me was visiting with the people I worked with.
Pros
Great employee discount
work at the restaurant
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 November 2016
Would come in and put hairnet on . Cleaned hands , Cleaned up area . I would then wash hands again and make onion rings by hand . Then after that I would clean area again and put the finished product in the freezer . I would then wash the lettuce and tomato's and then prepare the salads . I learned how to work faster . The management was great . She would always help me out if I had questions or concerns . I got along with Co-Workers we worked as a great team . I liked seeing how fast I could finish the job and still keep it with good quality .
Pros
good team work
Cons
short hours not enough
Flexible place to work for people with small children
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB21 February 2017
Flexibility with schedules, for new moms, low pay, no chance of making carrier.
not enough adults working there so everybody is treated like high school students, Management have paid breaks of 30 minutes and a free meal which in occasions it never happens.
No friendship is allowed between employees,
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
slavery
Quality ingredients
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
The company has put money and effort into changing the public perception of fast food, All locations are franchised so one location may be different from another and the corporate culture does not always filter down to the front line, The hardest part of the job is dealing with the public and that is also the most enjoyable.
Pros
Great food
Cons
pay
Fun
Staff (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, ON4 February 2017
I work at A&W usaully night shift/ closing shift it was nice but tiring work being you need to close,clean and pack all the things needed during the morning, the manangement are funny and kind easy to get along with.the hardest part as i said was the cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job i quess the adrenaline rush because It is on the go job you need to move alot.
Various
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2017
There was no 'team' effort amongst employees which made working there very difficult, everyone seemed to be going in different directions. During peak time was frustrating as I was only one person wanting to put in 100% but without team work & others helping to avoid long line ups in the drive thru there were far too many discouraged customers.
this was just a job to me because people i work with where not to nice
Restaurant Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB6 November 2016
A&W was just a job to me becuase i never really got alot of hours people i work with including a manger where not every nice everyone that was there was part of there on click /group i didn't not like it there i did however love the customer and helping them with there orders getting to know the regulars
Pros
the 50% off meals any time was nice
Cons
to many clicks not enough hours
Do not work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
when i was working here i found out i was expecting a baby, when i told management they did not like the face that i was not allowed to lift heavy things (pop refills 50lbs each) they told me that i cant take the time that i needed for my doctors each month.
it is a horrible place to work for (the corner of Portage and Sturgeon)
Pros
non
Cons
treated like animals
Stressful and overwhelming workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 February 2017
Definitely underpaid for what you have to do. Must work at a very fast pace with minimal help, can lead to mistakes and even possible injuries as everything in the kitchen is very hot. If other opportunities are present, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
Free drinks, plenty of hours
Cons
Always understaffed, underpaid
fun and safe place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2016
Working at A&W as an cashier for 2 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavourable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
50% discount on food