A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews in Canada

great work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Working at A&W as an Assistant Manager for 5 years has thought me a lot of things which I find it to be essential on my future career. I learned to deal with customers under stressful and unfavorable conditions, winning and keeping our customers. My management skills has improved as well such as making sound judgement, fast-decision making and proactively dealing with the problems before it arises. The management has supported and thought me a lot, whenever I have difficulties they are always there to give advice.
The hardest part of the job, is when employees are doing substandard jobs and have to correct them. The Fun part is we do celebrate our small and big wins, like getting good compliment from our customers or if the shift went smoothly under a busy rush hour.
Pros
Free meal, health benefits
Cons
less work/life balance
Summery
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Midland, ONApril 3, 2016
I would come into work, typically a half hour to an hour before I actually started so that I could get everything set up for my shift at a comfortable pace. I learned that with being a good employee you get better shifts and a little more freedom in your work. The owner was quite particular on how things should be carried out, but it was never hard to because the management and supervisors were always friendly. My co-workers were awesome and always let me help in the kitchen when I wan't busy. The hardest part of my job was when I had to move away to Barrie after becoming so close with them. The most enjoyable part was setting up in the morning, then getting all of my regulars in for their coffee and breakfast.
A&w
Cashier, Front Counter (Former Employee) –  931 Upper James StreetMarch 16, 2016
I learned to deal with difficult and easy customers and how to give them the correct amount of change and respect. I learned how to do drive-thru, stocking of products and to talk to different kinds of people. The management was a bit off since we kept losing people and hiring. So it was hard to get to know them more on a personal side. I think I enjoyed the people the most at this job and the hardest was to let go of that. I would always be on time if not early for every shift and would get changed, punch in and start my day. I would take orders from different kinds of people and doing different tasks. For example, take out garbage, clean counters/tables, take customers orders, clean bathrooms. etc.
Pros
Discount on food, friendly co-workers
Cons
Could be long sometimes, change of schedule without notice, management was sometimes difficult
Excellent environment to work.
Kitchen Help / Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work involves meeting new people in the form of customers and making many different food items. I learned how to properly handle food products and how to work with my co-workers. The management was good, they made sure that we had a safe and friendly work environment that also had all the necessary equipment for the job. Many of my co-workers were friendly and respected my needs as an individual. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know and interacting with people.
Pros
Friendlyenviroment
A great work place
Labourer/Cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 17, 2016
At A&W a typical work day work be, make sure my stations are clean, make sure everything is in stoke. Example; enough bagged fries, chicken strips, frozen/cooked burgers etc.. prep foods like pickles and other condiments. I learnt how to multitask to doing 4 different things at a time. My skills have been challenged to the fullest. Me and my co-workers were in sync as a team. I enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of my job at A&W was the dinner rush because they was people flooding in for a good 3 hours, prepping while filling in orders was not easy but I learnt how to multitask greatly. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, having the opportunity to learn new things about A&W and eating some of the food.
Pros
Cons
Dinner rush
excellent place to start carrier
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2016
Awesome place to work with different culture of people ,excellent management team who helprd from the basics to supervisory level.The most enjoyable and hardest job is dealing with the customers ,not the hardest but challenging.
great employees terrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCJanuary 8, 2016
promised a raise every 6 months and received a 15 cent raise over a 6 year period
management never takes responsibility always looks for a scapegoat
stressful fustrating enviorment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day at work was frustrating. I felt like I was the only one who did any work besides make the orders. My co-workers were all very warm an welcoming but where all so lazy. The management was horrible. They would never have enough people working an barley any of them did there jobs. I learned a lot of what not to do on the job an what should be done. The hardest part of the job was being the only one that even cared that everything that needed to be done was done and when I tried to talk to a supervisor about it I was just ignored. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that when I made someone's food it was done proper and with care.
Pros
met some great people
Cons
lazy co-workers/bad supervisors
Worst environment I ever worked in
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 11, 2016
I was supervising for a while, upon the boss being verbally abusive to staff I stepped down. Upon being injured at work, the managers kept leaving without sending in WSIB information, eventually it got declined. Upon stepping down, my hours were cut drastically but the boss would say "I don't want to lose you" but provide me with less than 25hrs and call me 'full time.'

The management was a mess, always a stressful environment.

I was sexually assaulted in the workplace by my manager, he bit me in the shoulder. The employer handled this very poorly.

Upon asking a question to my employer about wrongful write-ups, I was terminated because he feels the "relationship could not be repaired" after yelling at me for asking a question, despite being the one who says "ask me anything" That evening he was asking me to return - I declined.

DO NOT work here.
They will take advantage of you.
Scold you for having another job despite not giving you another hours.
Poorly run. You can get another minimum wage job that will treat you better
Pros
Cons
Poor management, Poor environment, Abusive environment
Fun place to work
Cook/Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hawkesbury, NSJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work was generally busy, lots of cleaning and keeping up with the dirty tables and dishes. There was customers to deal with but with any job there was harder and easier customers to deal with. When i worked night shifts I had to do the cashiers tills at the end of the night. Being a supervisor at A&W taught me responsibility and you have to be careful with what you or your co-workers say because you never know the customer that is on the other side of the counter. The management at A&W was average for a restaurant. There was things that were hard to get an answer for and get done but nothing that was too important. The hardest part of the job was the late nights. You often wouldn't get home until close to midnight when you worked night shift because of how late A&W was open and it was hard when school the next day was at 8:00. The most enjoyable part of the job was socializing with the co workers and having fun socializing during the shift.
fast paced friendly work enviorment
Team lead (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONFebruary 29, 2016
it was a very busy location that involved having to be on your toes all the time but that was a giant bonus as it made the work day speed on by and I learned how to deal with high stress situations , my management and co-workers made the work environment a great place to be ! The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional hungry grumpy customers, but the best part was being able to satisfy even the grumpiest of people
Pros
discounted food
Cons
occationally missing breaks
Fast paced and easy going.
Part time cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCMarch 29, 2016
It was great job until I starting to get paid for less hours than I was working. That was probably an individual case of this one location, but it was still unfortunate that something like this would happen at one of my favourite fast food places.

My coworkers were fun, nice and hardworking people. My management not so much.
Pros
A little bit of a discount on the food.
Cons
Not getting paid for what you worked.
Casual and friendly environment for new employees.
Team Leader, Kitchen (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2016
After signing in, it starts with checking the inventory level. Then helping and setting things up for the team members for fast service. All these things go along with serving customers. Multitasking at the fast paced environment is required to work at the store.
Team work, working under pressure in a fast paced environment and managing different customers were core learning.
Flexibility in shifts but uncompromising for the service is what best describes the management. Serving customers within a very short time is the hardest part as some orders are really heavy but cooperative and patient coworkers are always there with their helping hand. Working long hours is even fun as the store is so busy and the team is so good overall.
Pros
Flexible shifts and free meal
Cons
Long busy hours.
Great people to work with, long term employment.
Cashier and cook (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 4, 2016
A typical day of work at A&W would consist of taking Customer orders and making burgers. At A&W I learned how to multitask and keep myself busy. I also learned how to interact with Customer's and with my co-workers. The Management at A&W is excellent, and always treat their employees with respect. Many of my co-workers are enjoyable to work with as well. The hardest part of the job is that due to higher food cost and employee wages, hours have been cut so there is often more work spread out between fewer people. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the various people that come in throughout the day.
Pros
The people I work with.
Cons
Too much work for a small amount of people.
Productive workplace, with enthusiastic co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCFebruary 12, 2016
The daily work routine was fun but stressful due to high volume of customers and not enough staff. I learned how to work safe and fast. The management could be a little bit more supportive. Co-workers were nice but didn't have many values at the workplace. The hardest part was to finish everything on time with not enough staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast-pace work environment. Everything needed to be done at a specific time.
Pros
A Calming Presence
Cons
short hours
Fun at Times But Very Demanding.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ONAugust 6, 2016
The co-workers are great (well most of them), the management is very poor, only getting your schedule a couple days before you can work, so you can't plan ahead. You are always required to bring a doctors note if you get sick even if it's something small like the flu, you always have to have a replacement. Hardest part of the job is to make sure that you close right all the time and customers aren't upset. The best part are the staff they always do what they can. I learned that I have to be responsible and organised and that somethings aren't meant to be.
Pros
Discounts off 1 meal per shift
Cons
Over worked, no notice in advanced, busy all the time.
Friendly work environment but heavy on work hours and bad management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 10, 2016
The work place had a friendly and very helpful environment for new comers. The work load given in the first day was a bit overwhelming and required me to cover many hours over the week.

Worked through two locations as staff was starting to run short. Due to working in two locations assigned by the company sometimes I would not get payed my overtime unless I complained.

The people were friendly an helped when they could but the management in staff was terrible at times, requiring me to work over-time two to three times a week with six days of work.

The fast phase work environment helped me to increase my efficiency and speed when working. I enjoy talking with my co-workers when the workplace was not busy.
Pros
discount of food
Cons
long work hours and many overtime shifts
Productive work environment
Cashier/server (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 18, 2016
what I have learned about working at A&W is that fast food is fast but keeping happy environment is everything to everyone working together
Pros
great pay, long hours, happy work environment
Cons
management
I would not recommend this job to anybody
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJuly 26, 2016
The restaurant I worked for was owned by a company, there was a lot of favouritism and favourism, work place was very stressful
Franchise standards were not followed, no appreciation for work.
I would love to share this incidence here, as per franchise rule every
restaurant is bound to have a temperature binder and they have to be noted everyday. When I stared to do them as the job was assigned to me after I was promoted, I found a mistakes in the previous months, the person did not knew the difference between Celsius and fahrenheit, so I told my area manager about it as there was no manager there at that point of time. She got mad at me and said its same I had to argue with her and explained her that its different though they both are units of temperature but have different value for same temperature. So she called A&W corporate to confirm that and she was the one recording temperatures before me. I don't know how that restaurant passed the audits in past.
Pros
I personally don't know any
Cons
Everything about that place
Overall challenging workplace
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
While working for A&W I learned a lot, with having over 8 years of Management experience under my belt, I felt quite confident and comfortable towards any future opportunities.

My typical day at work is making sure all store under my area in compliance and well managed.

Management has very strong work ethic and expect excellence.

I did not find anything hard with my current job, and new challenges and tasks make me learn and grow.

Most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all tasks for the day are complete and every guest is happy when they walk out of the restaurant.
Cons
not enough time for family.