A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Restarant setting
Kitchen Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 March 2017
was expected to do more then one job at a time wait on people take orders prep work and drive though with barley any training for the little time was employed there manger was disrespectful and not a very good work ethic
Productive and fun
Cook & Fryer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 March 2017
Working at this resturant was fun and productive because I learned a lot of work skills. I also learned better cooking skills, and I met some amazing people while I was there.
Working at A&W
Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, BC24 March 2017
Working at A&W was a great first job and gave me some good experience for working in customer service. I learned how to talk to customers, handle cash, and run a cash register. I also gained skills from working in a team and made friends with all the great employees.
Some of the hardest parts of the job was dealing with customers who were sometimes angry or frustrated, but it was also great experience learning how to deal with them in the right manner.
The most enjoyable parts of working at A&W was making friends with the other employees and always knowing what i was doing.
Pros
Good learning exoerience, awesome team members, good hours.
Cons
Difficult customers
Very peaceful environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 March 2017
I was working in kitchen as team-lead.
Learn how to manage order in time even how to solve customers problems.
Hardest part was to decide schedule for the staff and provide everyone same priority in work.
A&w
Supervisor/Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 March 2017
A&W is an amazing place to work and on a typical day it is busy with a vast amount of orders flying in and out. Yet it is a place I enjoy working. I learned a lot from my time in A&W like inventory and the cash register. Overall A&W is an amazing place.
Pros
People I work with
just a fast food job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB22 March 2017
it was nothing fancy but it paid somewhat decent and was somewhat flexible. people were okay. lots of regular customers. fairly easy day tasks. nothing to hard.
Pros
decent pay
Extra Busy place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 March 2017
A&W's are really busy place but you're intended to do certain jobs only so that makes life easier. They don't have free lunches tho(sucks). But you'll get certain discounts accoring to choice of your store owner.
Daily dutties
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2017
- Evaluate work safe environment.
- Guide staff member of the kitchen and cashiers and work as a team to meet rush hour speed times.
- Organize stock and order products for the the store, at least 3 times a week.
Pros
Managing staff and help coaching staff.
Cons
Sometimes meeting speed times was not always accomplished.
I needed the experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 March 2017
The standing around for a periods of times, was alright. I did not mind that part. It was nicer when it was a bit busy but when it wasn't i would clean or stock up supplies. I could not just stand around.
The staff was nice. Management, not so much. Management was poorly managed. Raises were very little. You would get a raise every three months, depending on how you are doing. It would go up 25 cents. Which was not rewarding to some people. Some people would not last as long as i did.
Pros
Extra hours
Cons
Working through lunch breaks at times
Awesome management and great environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC17 March 2017
As far as fast food restaurants go, A&W was a great place to work and boasted a positive environment. Management was very approachable and handled the staff in a respectful manner.
engaging conversation with customers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB17 March 2017
enjoyed the atmosphere and co workers. i enjoyed the chance for advancement as well. Decent pay for work completed.
I learned to handle money, balancing the tills, safe, and closing end of day sales.
Multitasking and fast pace
Kitchen Staff/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
A&W is known for their good customer service.Even tough it's fast pace, the environment we work is safer, clean and tidy.Jobs are done by good teamwork.
Very good First Time job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 March 2017
Reccomended if you have worked in fast food before since quality of training varies.

Good work atmosphere as people are friendly people

Fast passed

Good for developing customer service skills

Very flexible in the amount of hours you can work
Pros
Paid break
Cons
Sometimes can be stressful
great place to work
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC14 March 2017
At A&W on each given day I'd provide excellent customer service. My main duty as a Front end was to take orders and make sure the customers were happy. id also clean whenever the restaurant was not busy. I learned out to operate a cash register and handle efficiently. The management was changing while I worked at this location. The hardest part about this job was getting time off as I was still a student when I worked for the company. But the most enjoyable part of this job was the people who I worked with. they were outstanding at everything they did. they really worked hard for the company.
Pros
great work environment, excellent discounts, learn a lot
Cons
getting time off
great place
Food & beverage server / counter attendant (Former Employee) –  Valleyview, AB13 March 2017
was my first actual job i ever had. i truly enjoyed it. i would take an extra shift for sure if i was ever asked. the boss and co workers were easy to get along with. id definitley suggest working here for a first job.
was fun when it worked
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  pinetree13 March 2017
the many years ive worked there has taught me a lot but there hiring practices have gone down hill dramadically and I can no longer feel like I can be there anymore
Receptionist (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
Duties: Baking, customer service, entering orders, inventory, scheduling, hiring, and training staff, payroll, weekly data entry, preparing bank deposits.
A&W Cranbrook
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC13 March 2017
Everyday I would show up to my afternoon shift and immediately start Stocking the front ( ketchup, napkins, sugar, creamer, stir sticks, etc.) I learned that I enjoy working with food and that A&W raises there chickens without any use of antibiotics. I enjoyed my boss he was very strict but very understanding. There was no real hard part about the job but I mostly enjoyed putting a smile on the customers face as soon as they walked through the door.
Family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON12 March 2017
A&W is a good place to work. They help you grow in customer service. You are able to move up in the company.I learned the importance of customers come first.
Pros
discount lunch
A&W Job experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 March 2017
Working at A&W was on okay experience. I did not like half of the co workers but some were okay. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers when you know it was not your fault for a burger being made incorrectly. Or when a customer swears at you and tells you that you are stupid or that their incorrect order is all of your f***ing fault.. it really does hurt but you get used to it. Overall, the experience was okay but I wish it could have been better.
Pros
free food at break depending on manager
Cons
hard location to get to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.