7-Eleven Employee Reviews

Poor management
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 July 2016
Hours were terrible and boss was unwilling to work with my schedule even when i was hired i explained my limitations. would not work there again with that management
flexible job with room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB24 June 2014
When fully staffed and things are going smoothly very flexible hours to accommodate the staff. There is plenty of room for advancement for employees willing to learn and many aspects to the job to keep from being bored at work.
Most of the staff are very flexible and helpful. They try their best to be helpful and put new employees at ease with a willingness to answer any questions. For the most part cheery staff who make a fun yet productive work day. The customers are incredible.
The hardest part of the job is covering for the less reliable employees which the company is working on
Pros
flexible shifts, medical benefits
Cons
open 24 hrs 365 days a year so must work Christmas day as it is a very busy day
Low moral and non productive work from employees
Senior Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 February 2016
Although I started out loving my job because it was such a huge change from working in an office, I found that as time passed employees weren't held accountable for the huge mistakes that were being made both in product and especially in customer service. I am the type of person who likes to be able to solve a problem ASAP so that the customers are satisfied and my hands are basically tied at this establishment. There are no rewards for a job well done and management plays favorites and rewards only those that their parents have worked with them at some point in time. It has become a very hard work environment to be happy with my job.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
A fast paced environment requires multitasking
Certified Customer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 May 2016
On some busier days, the workforce seems to be less than required which makes the job a little stressful. There is lot to learn about merchandising, retail and management skills. Conflict with co-workers affects the service of store.
Pros
A lot to learn about retail and merchandising
Cons
Less wage rate
Not bad but not good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC12 August 2016
I personally did not like working here. They replaced the manager when i was there and 3 days later they let me go because my glasses broke on shift the night before. 6 days before my 3 months, and chistmas. plus they did not pay me within the legal 48 hours
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON10 August 2016
The regulars make your days a bit more interesting
Managers are amazing, super easy to talk to, very helpful
Co-workers are fun and interesting
Hardest part is there is sometimes a lot going on at one time
Pros
Free slurpees when you work
Cons
No other discounts
I loved dealing with the public
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2012
Do cash in, serve customers, order ,recieve deliveries,resolving problems ensuring the customer is happy. I learned the skills to work night shift and make decisions without a manager around(did not want to be disturbed at night). Management trusted me to make executive decisions without there help. We were pretty much left alone. My co-worker was great and we worked well togeather.The hardest part of the job was having to sleep during day. Most enjoyable was customers.
Pros
lots of pay raises based on performance
Cons
working nights sleeping during day
Productive and Fun while working.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  530 Dale Blwd, Winnipeg, MB17 February 2016
It's very good experience with my current employer. It is my first employer at Winnipeg, Canada and I found it very friendly environment around the store while on work. I thought it difficult to adjust with new culture and environment however It was proved me wrong and everything was wonderful at work. All my colleague and my manage are very supportive and in just one and half week since I started work I got all knowledge about how to work. I got support from each of them and always we had lots of fun while working which never make me feel than I am new to Canada or to this company and believe me everything going well and I must say that I am perfect just in one month like all other employee of the store. I learn things faster from staff members and few from my mistake at work. I simply consider lucky to have wonderful staff as well as my knowledge to adopt things faster.
Easy place to work; not very fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2016
What do I even say about this place? The term "slave labor" comes to mind when I think about all of the stuff I did as per the managers request, but for no purpose. I was playing the role of managerial god and in the end I was just a puppet. Let me break this down:

I'd go into work for my 2-10, I'd clock in at the back, I'd walk out to droning coworkers who were only happy to see me because I was relieving them of their duties and that was that. I'd stand at the front for the first 20-30 minutes of a shift, ring people through, help them with anything they needed and that was that. From there I'd be changing garbage, sweeping/mopping the floor, changing out coffee, cleaning up spills and messes throughout the workplace, managing merchandise facing, appropriation and overall display (for the sake of making it harder for people to steal without us noticing), restocking and arranging the vault and at the end of the night... dreaded cash out. It was, suffice it to say, an incredibly easy job (if not grueling to do) and it paid enough with the forty-hours a week it was giving me to make ends meet for the time being.

Now while it doesn't sound so bad, here's the part you haven't heard yet: the manager was not a nice fellow, and he was out to get you - all of you. The issue is that our manager was fairly biased in that he didn't like anyone who wasn't Filipino - like him - and so the color of your skin and the nature of your heritage was a big thing. What could you do about it? Nothing. What did it result in? For me, it resulted in absolutely RIDICULOUS messes in the vault;
  more... a scattering of plastic, cardboard and things being misplaced, broken or opened. It was unpleasant, it was unfair and it took up the better half of my time in the vault trying to arrange things and restock them as the day would drag on- which would lead to him yelling at me because I took so long in the vault and had to shirk some of my other duties until it was finished... because then, if I didn't finish it he would yell at me for that and I even got written up for it. What do you do when you can't win?

Something I learned at this job, just like the one that came before it, was how to deal with difficult individuals who aren't at all happy to see you, be near you or even speak to you. There's a special kind of ignorance that breeds in people who are miserable, and unfortunately it's just something you have to accept. At the end of the day, I've taken it upon myself to try and make others in the workplace - be it friend, foe or stranger - happier for what and who they are, where they are and why they're doing whatever it is they're doing. It's a skill I've obtained in the time I've had to cope with all of the buzz regarding a myriad different issues wherein someone is a jerk, usually me even if I'm not.

My coworkers were lazy for the most part, uninspired and not totally willing to fulfill their job duties. I can only speak for one whom went above what I even did. She may as well have been the manager, because she dealt with every single little problem, she did payroll, she did item counts, she dealt with customer disputes, she did it ALL. She was the one coworker I enjoyed working with because she was: fun to be around, agreeable, a little obnoxious but in a good way, hardworking and overall made my life easier. She was the type of coworker you could confide in, lean on or depend upon for anything. A truly admirable worker, and I always aspired to do better and be more to the standard which she held for herself.

In the end, I think that about sums up the experience I had there and what I would say in regards to reviewing it. It's not a nice place, it's not great work... but it is easy, even if easy is relative.
Pros
Free food (in the form of write-offs), easy job to do, can be fun depending on who you're with.
Cons
Shift work, non-negotiable hours, no pay raises (management), disrespectful head staff.
great to be able to learn all the skills I gained from that job.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC31 May 2016
I learned so much computer skills and management qualitites.Machine maintence was learnt. cashing out capablitlty was taught very well.
Pros
hours were very good
Cons
Nothing was free
People who strive to have excellent customer service
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 March 2016
A typical day was meeting and greeting customers with a smile and assist them when asked.
What I learned was everyday is a new day and things can happen at any moment and you just have to roll with the punch's and act calm in bad situations.
My co-workers where great and I love them like family because they where they experienced the same things as I did and can relate to me none of my friends could.
The hardest part about this job was always smiling and saying hello to everyone who came in the door.
I enjoyed meeting new people and assisting them with purchases creating a smile on their faces when they look like they had a bad day.
Pros
Free slurpee's
Cons
Theives
too many priorities that have immedeat prescedence
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB3 January 2013
A typical day of work started with finding out what i didn't accomplish on my last shift, then finding out what wasn't done on the shift immedeatly before mine. Next sorting out the many priorities and distributing them between i and my fellow employee(s) unless i was alone so that they could be accomplished efficiently and quickly. customer service always came before shift duties regardless of their impact on the amount of time one had to accomplish shift duties. Most of my co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the manager and remebering all the little details that needed attending during the shift. The most enjoyable part were the people and the customers.
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
the manager and too many priorities- not a good job for young adults new to the working environment
learning experience
Retail clerk, Canada post (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
i have learnt great from there....juliet is a great guide....working there really upgrade my skills.i love working there.
Grooming of soft and technical skills.
Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MB24 March 2016
Its a great and lovely environment there and its been remarkable for me work there i learned and developed many skills .All the co workers are friendly and polite so i have a great time there . Flexible schedule and really a cooperative staff.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Productive, motivated, fast paced environment
Sr. Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2016
Daily store operation
Staff belive in Team work
It’s pretty challenging. Good place for training and performance
Management is good supportive, friendly co-workers
overall, it was good working @ 7-11
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2016
Seven-Eleven is very near our place. I had good hours at eight hours a day. I had very good relations with the customers and with my peers.
Pros
free drinks/coffee
Cons
sometimes asked to work grave yard shift
Co-Workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 June 2016
My Co-workers at this job had been he best. They have all been very helpful and responsible people. The hard part of Job was dealing with the customers who are not good verbally with the employees.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Sometimes it gets hard to satisfay the customers
Good job sercurity and guaranteed hours.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2016
Each day was comforting to stick to a certain routine and completing before the shift was over.

I learned how to process payroll and learned the ordering process of each section of the store for weekly stocking.

Management were very compliant and helpful when learning new skills and processing new tasks.

My fellow co-workers were mostly helpful when help was required.

The hardest part of the job, was leaving to engage back into school for Academic Upgrading, but that decision was well worth it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging in the seasonal sales display it let me expand my imaginations with each display.
Pros
Free meals.
Cons
The bus schedule in the winter was very unpredictable.
Great environment to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 May 2016
Its a 24 hour open store so the day starts early.
Making food for the display along with cookies that are made daily for sales.
The lottery attracts a lot of customers.
Variety of stuff, from make-up to grocery, you'll get it all at 7-11.

One dollar coffees and slurpees are specialities.
We have a mobile application as well, which provides you every 7th drink on the house.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Peak hours require 4 sales person at a time
Good location, friendly colleagues, benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2012
My job as a cashier helped me to know the professional side of me. Since it was my first job I was helped a lot by my colleagues. I learned to interact with my customers well, became more responsible with money and became more hard-working.

The management team was experienced and well organized. They were helpful and cooperative and motivated me to work efficiently.
Pros
benefits, free food