7-Eleven Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor management makes for poor culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Unfortunatly, some locations have poor managers who are careless and are still living in the old way of thinking. Let the employees suffer with little to no time off of work and dont allow certain employees have benefits after the required 6 months. The staff who have consumed unpaid products were allowed to get away with it while the newest employees suffered the consequences of being blamed for the theft when they had no involvement in it.

After my first six months, the manager took another 2 months to give me my benifets package and took awhile to send it in. Once done it wasnt effective for another couple of weeks.

Upon me being let go, the manager decided to wait an entire month to give me my vacation pay, which was against company standerds that pay period and vacation pay simply cannot take more than 14 days.
Demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABJuly 19, 2016
Not enough money for what the company expects. You are on call 24/7. You need to be every where at once. Deal with customers and not all are sober. Upper management does not understand the day to day stress of the job. No firm company protocol the FC and Market Managers seem to make things up as they go along and you get to many different answers for the same question. No one seems to want to make a decision.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance in fact yu are expected to give up your life and family for the store
Grooming of soft and technical skills.
Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MBMarch 24, 2016
Its a great and lovely environment there and its been remarkable for me work there i learned and developed many skills .All the co workers are friendly and polite so i have a great time there . Flexible schedule and really a cooperative staff.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Good job sercurity and guaranteed hours.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Each day was comforting to stick to a certain routine and completing before the shift was over.

I learned how to process payroll and learned the ordering process of each section of the store for weekly stocking.

Management were very compliant and helpful when learning new skills and processing new tasks.

My fellow co-workers were mostly helpful when help was required.

The hardest part of the job, was leaving to engage back into school for Academic Upgrading, but that decision was well worth it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging in the seasonal sales display it let me expand my imaginations with each display.
Pros
Free meals.
Cons
The bus schedule in the winter was very unpredictable.
I habe fun serving customers but i don't feel safe working at night.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 7, 2016
I worked night shift for 4 years and I learned how to deal with those intoxicated people comes in and out in the store. I'm not happy with the management of the store, they don't care of their staff at all. The hardest part of my job is seeing some people stealing and confronting them, its not nice feeling seeing them like that. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting nice friendly customers.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
not safe working at night
Manager Business Development (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 11, 2016
The company respect diversity ; however, there are no succession planning programs. Employees are always overburdened and there is a high turnover rate.
Pros
good for initial career stage
Cons
no career progression
Great environment to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 2, 2016
Its a 24 hour open store so the day starts early.
Making food for the display along with cookies that are made daily for sales.
The lottery attracts a lot of customers.
Variety of stuff, from make-up to grocery, you'll get it all at 7-11.

One dollar coffees and slurpees are specialities.
We have a mobile application as well, which provides you every 7th drink on the house.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Peak hours require 4 sales person at a time
Great manager! Fun place to work.
Component Manager (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABMarch 2, 2016
Fast paced business. Lots of support from all levels of management.
No shortage of ongoing training. Lots of room for advancement.
overall rating
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKAugust 23, 2016
11 to 7am night shift is difficult but i love working just because of the satisfaction as a team.In work you must need to be patience and giving 100% productivity
The hardest part in job is you did everything but sometimes the manager not satisfied.the most enjoyable in job is when your manager congratulate us for very awesome job guys.
Productive but not a fun place to work.
Store Leader/ Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2016
I've started as part time sales associate and now I am a store manager, This company helped me a lot about understanding management.There is no such thing as planned day at 7-eleven we have to be ready for surprises at every instance and be ready to deal with the effectively.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Salary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Colborne, ONApril 14, 2016
I came into work, clocked in, counted my cash, and started the shift. Made sure food was properly up to code, and threw out and wrote off any food items that were not good anymore. Manager would leave a note of side jobs for you to do during your shift and itd be completed by the time your shift comes to an end. At the end of my shift, I count my til off, clean the area surrounding you, and make sure all food is up to date before you were to leave your shift.
A fast paced environment requires multitasking
Certified Customer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 18, 2016
On some busier days, the workforce seems to be less than required which makes the job a little stressful. There is lot to learn about merchandising, retail and management skills. Conflict with co-workers affects the service of store.
Pros
A lot to learn about retail and merchandising
Cons
Less wage rate
Never Bored
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2016
As displeased as I was that there was never legitmate breaks whilst working a 8 hour shift I still managed to make sure I ate and I was never not busy so the shift seemed to fly by.
Pros
Great hours, Consistent Schedule, Busy work.
Cons
No Breaks, Bad Management, None reliable employees
staying on top of all duties
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 25, 2016
assisting customers with cashier duties, food preparation. Store cleanliness a major asset. Learned how to run a business in high stress situations involving high clientele. Security tactics in dealing with the public. Most enjoyable part was regular customer appreciation.
Pros
work morale
Cons
wages
Very busy environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 27, 2016
We have a lot of customers that come in for food, gas and other items. We work in a team based environment. A lot of standing, I sometimes feel like my coworkers think they can slack off and that others will pick up the slack. The wage also makes it difficult to pay bills.
Pros
Made some friends
Cons
Low wage, no benefits
7- Eleven was a great workplace to learn and grow within the company.
Sales Assistant/Sr. Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at 7-Eleven because of the positive interactions with customers. It was a positive environment to learn and progress in the area of management.
Pros
Opportunity to learn
Overall, a difficult job.
Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 29, 2016
Enjoyable enough workplace with a lot to do, though workers will find that they are always busy.
Some locations are quite busy and you will not get a break even if you work it out with your co-worker to try and get one as the stores can get very busy quickly.
Employee reviews are done yearly, wage increases are scant and in my personal experience I did not receive one in my first year as I did not contribute enough to food sales which 7-Eleven has a strong focus on trying to sell.
I learnt how to work quickly, precisely, under pressure and politely with a very large customer base, as well as better time management and good forecasting skills for ordering products.
Scheduled shifts are not planned very well if one calls in sick, in some cases an 8 hour day can turn into a 12 hour one.
Some midnight workers are solo through the night but usually after you have worked at the location for some time and management believes you can take it.
The job was difficult but I feel it has taught me a lot, I would not suggest this job to one who would like to take breaks and sit down on the job, you will be on your feet around the cash register working with food products, selling products and keeping things in order around the store for the whole shift on most days.
Pros
Free drinks from the machines (Coffee, Slurpee, Fountain pop)
Cons
Too fast paced for some workers. Work schedule is planned poorly
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONAugust 10, 2016
The regulars make your days a bit more interesting
Managers are amazing, super easy to talk to, very helpful
Co-workers are fun and interesting
Hardest part is there is sometimes a lot going on at one time
Pros
Free slurpees when you work
Cons
No other discounts
Co-Workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 25, 2016
My Co-workers at this job had been he best. They have all been very helpful and responsible people. The hard part of Job was dealing with the customers who are not good verbally with the employees.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Sometimes it gets hard to satisfay the customers
Not bad but not good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCAugust 12, 2016
I personally did not like working here. They replaced the manager when i was there and 3 days later they let me go because my glasses broke on shift the night before. 6 days before my 3 months, and chistmas. plus they did not pay me within the legal 48 hours