7-Eleven

2.4K reviews

7-Eleven Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A fun job you need work ethic to do well and enjoy, is tough at times
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Nelson, BCNovember 1, 2014
Pros: free hot chocolate/slurpie/coffee up to one cup of either, flexible hours, nice co-workers and managers, there's never nothing to do; always something to do, you get an excuse to talk to random strangers, you're never alone on holidays, which are the worst
Cons: no breaks if there's customers in the store and you're the only one in, it can get hectic and fairly stressful, sometimes someone may be in the backroom and you may be all alone most of the time, holidays are the worst like all other stores.
Typical days at this job, you're juggling multiple tasks at once.
You're often refilling slurpie and coffee cups, making sure the roller grills are stocked with the right numbers of different kinds of hotdogs and smokies, while making sure they stay fresh, and tending to customers who are buying products or asking to get filled up at a pump for a certain amount.
All at the same time, i feel like it's worthy of mention, you're multi-tasking all these, and even after those, there's keeping the store floor clean, all the products fronted and faced, making sure the windows are cleaned, and even keeping hot chocolate and coffee machines clean and filled, even making sure the bathrooms are cleaned aswell.
At the end of shift, there's counting the money, putting about 80-95% of it away for storing, save for coins, only bills, making sure to put all 50s away and every 5 20s away.
If there's nothing to do, you're checking everything to make sure it's all good, clean, fresh and stocked. There's always something to do, you're never bored and I love it.

I personally have learned that there's always something to do, how to properly clean windows, coffee trays/machines, making coffee, how to operate store computers such as the till's touch screen interfaces, authorizing gas pumps, I've even learned more about foodsafe while doing the online training at work.
Everything I did above, I can do nowadays.

The Managers were very nice and sociable, the interview for the job wasn't stressful or anxiety-inducing, they did a good job of making sure I didn't feel like it was an interrogation, which – more... made me excited for the job. They were always on top of things and doing something when at work.

My co-workers were also fairly nice, a couple were a bit bossy at times, but that's guaranteed if you're in training after all. nobody really hung me out to dry during my training period which was very nice, and for the most part they taught me well in how to do everything, though not well enough to keep the job after the training period. But I know that I can be welcomed back with more experience under my belt so it's all good either way.

The Hardest Part of the job would have to be serving the food while completing transactions for people, while others need gas and are already inside, only once have I ever actually screwed up on the job however, which was at that specific time, I handled it fairly well, save for when afterwards I started having a panic attack and had to take a 5 minute break.
It's the time where multiple people who all need different things comes in, when the job reaches the biggest point of difficulty.

The part I loved most about working at 7-Eleven, would be any time I would be fronting and facing products and just organizing things, I'm very good at it after all, one easily enjoys what they're good at usually.
Other than that, it would be whenever i get to talk to people, since as a cashier you're also a greeter, but kinda have to greet others, even while multi-tasking. – less
It was a fun working place, the other employees were so much fun to work with.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free fountain pop, coffee, slurpees, you were able to have the write offs.
Cons: you might end up working with someone you don't like. sometimes no breaks(washroom breaks of course)
A typical day at work, come in/ clock in,once completed, see what food had to be made, if the garbage needed to be changed inside and out, check and see what needed to be stocked up e.g., Slurpee cups, coffee cup, straws, lids, cheese and salsa for the nachos. etc...

I learned that it can be a quick pace place where you are on your feet all day non-stop. I learned how to complete write offs when food is out dated,has been cooked for to long, or when other items are ready to be thrown out, how to do ordering when we are almost out of items.

Co-workers at this job is like any job sometimes you get amazing ones sometimes you don't. My co-workers some where so much fun to work with the others not so much, some you come close with because your working with them all the time and others you don't really get to know. The ones I got to know they were so much fun I don't remember a day that I wasn't laughing or smiling.

The hardest part of the job was getting to know how to do the ordering and the write offs. Its like any other job unless u know something then its going to take a little while to get to know the gadgets. Once you get to know everything if its a week, 2, 3 however long once you know its easy.

Most enjoyable part would have to be the customers, and employees. everyday when you walk in if your ever having a bad day at home your co-workers or customers will sure lighten up your day, with either a joke something that happened that day or just because you became close friends with them.
Recommended that you only stay with this job for a year or less and moving onto something else--
Sales Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 25, 2012
Pros: drinks are free, steady hours (32 to 40 on average), dental and other medical needs are available.
Cons: everything else
-- as a 23 year-old young adult, I can say that working at 7-Eleven was one of the worst work experiences I've ever had since graduating high-school in 2008.

A typical day would start off as either me showing up early in the morning... or late at night (Between the hours 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.) to a messy store, the staff member (Normally alone) would be trying to clean up the store as best as possible... but given the nature of the night-shift... and working alone and over-tired, stuff that would normally take five minutes drags on to about half-an-hour or more and it might not get done at all.

The manager would show up and demand to know why those small thing haven't been finished, and the excuse "I didn't have enough time because it was busy tonight--" wasn't accepted. And I would receive a stern talking to and a Pink slip.

The management demanded near-perfection during inspections, and would only accept a rating of 90% or higher. anything below a 90 rating would result in a pink slip for a failed inspection.

The other staff members were also suffering from work related stress issues and many would just not want to show up and were either fired, or they quit on the spot.

Sadly... the most enjoyable part of working at 7-Eleven was "Quitting Time". And as I discovered after working at this one location for three years... the money itself wasn't even worth it in the long run.
My review
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: not at my main store, but one of the other stores i worked at has a great team spirit approach to the job.
Cons: manager and district manager who do not listen properly
I worked at three of the stores in Hamilton. My former manager is not very competent at his job which is part of the reason I quit. He worked for the company about six months longer than I did. A manager who has been working for the company for 15+ years as well as one of her assistant managers who has been working for the company for 15+ years as well would both like to hire me as they know I am a great employee to have on their team. Actions my former manager did include preventing them from hiring me. Some of the actions he did was let me take the blame for something he did on a regular basis (and I was the employee who caught his mistake and fixed it). A district manager who grossly violated the ESA. Like my former manager she has only been working for the company about a year or two longer than I had. She also proved that she does not listen very well and instead gets in her head what she thinks is 'the truth' and she then has as much listening comprehension as a wall does from that point forward. Her very own actions proved to this be true about her.

I was in line to be one of the assistant managers. My manager expected me to get other employees to get stuff done. He also told other employees that they did not need to listen to me. When I asked him directly about this he went into evasive politician mode.
Really fun but not for everbody
Certified Senior Sales Associate, I (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2013
Pros: free drinks, close to home, know the people that come in, i enjoy seeing how hard i work
Cons: massive overtime, life practically revolves around work, pay is minimal for the work expected, no breaks
its a VERY fast-paced environment where we go trough around 600-900 people a day. Being my first job, i learned how to not be shy, learned how to adjust to situations and how to better myself from what I was.
Management there is really friendly, more than willing to forgive mistakes if there was any.
Co-workers come and go, not everybody can tolerate the conditions that we do in that specific store considering we dont get breaks and not everybody can be efficient enough for our workload.
Finding time to do the job is hard, you are allotted so much time with so much man power to be able to do it that alot of people think they can handle it but quit within the first week,

We work usually 40+ hours spanned out in 6 day periods, Overtime is practically a must and calling-in sick is non-existent. Workload is really heavy apart from having to deal with extra duties.

Its fun to see us work so hard even though not everybody can notice, it makes it so easy to see who really is the best at what we can do. and it gives us a new outlook as far as what were capable of.
when staff worked as team we are very productive and enjoyed working
Certified Store Manager (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 28, 2015
Pros: meeting wonderful people on a daily basis
Cons: being called in the middle of the night because we got robbed
each day was different started the day with a store walk ( mini inspection) that help produce task assignment for the day.balance previous day cash report deposits and variations of cash cigerettes and lottery.checked in vendors.reconciled invoices to merchedise reports.checked emails,did ordering,verified writeoffs were done properly for the day,controlled shortage made sure schematics were to set,engage staff in plus selling and good customer service, also ensure proper handling of lottery tickets and asking for id for all restricted products ensure food safe procedures are being followed,ensuring price points are all in place,schedualing. what i learned working for 7-11 was the understanding of gross profit and how each component of the business affects it. also building a team that enjoyed working togeather and there fore was very productive .the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and staff that was happy. the hardest part of the job was fireing someone for stealing because i took things like that so personally
Fast pace and clean work environment
Cashier and Store Front (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: free coffee and soft drinks
Cons: short breaks
A day at 7-Eleven started off with block and facing the shelfs, making sure the products were presentable for the customers eye. Floors were swept and mopped before and after shifts. The shelfs were stocked during slow periods of customers. There was always work to be done working at 7-Eleven. I learnt how to push products, how to encourage customers on decisions and how to handle negative situation by creating a positive situation. Management gave constructive criticism to improve my work habbits when needed. My co-workers were friendly and supportive on inputting ideas. The friendly competitions allowed us to, not only improve the companys sales also to, improve a healthy work space. Having a positive additude made the day go by faster as well as leaving the customers with a smile on their face. The hardest part was the high stress factor when short staffed. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers.
Fun work place, and good managment.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: free beverages
Cons: pay was good to begin with but the rasies were only $0.05, once a every couple years
Used fryer, roller grill, cooked complete meals, worked graveyard shifts which ran from 12:30am to 8:30 am, filled cooler, general cleaning duties as requested, kept inventory up to date (like fill pastry, took temperatures of the food, and counted sandwiches.....etc.), greeted and provided information to customers, ordered product and made room for new product in the cooler. The management was good, they would give you days off if needed, they help you in anyway needed. Co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of working there was dealing with people that were always drunk and disrespectful people. Some nights were more challenging than others. I enjoyed working there because of my co-Workers and the regular customers that came in everyday. The regulars are always happy to see you because you knew exactly what they came in for.
Great place to get on your feet and generally not a bad job at all
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Powell River, BCNovember 16, 2012
Pros: bar rush! (funny customers just happy to be out of the house) free coffee, soft drinks, and food (so long as the food reached its time limit on the grill or on display.
Cons: bar rush! (angry customers just wanting to get back home), frequent thefts, and a slight chance of robbery
Cleaning, food prep, and customer relations, are essentially your entire job day in and day out. I learned a lot about customer relations and general store management and balancing time between cleaning a store and making sure all customers leave satisfied. The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with unruly customers that really have no consideration for the rules you yourself have to follow (such as food prices and no pets in the store). The best part of the job comes from the satisfaction of having the store spotless and perfectly almost obsessively in order fpr the boss when she or he first walks in.
too many priorities that have immedeat prescedence
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee), Taber, ABJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: great pay and benifits
Cons: the manager and too many priorities- not a good job for young adults new to the working environment
A typical day of work started with finding out what i didn't accomplish on my last shift, then finding out what wasn't done on the shift immedeatly before mine. Next sorting out the many priorities and distributing them between i and my fellow employee(s) unless i was alone so that they could be accomplished efficiently and quickly. customer service always came before shift duties regardless of their impact on the amount of time one had to accomplish shift duties. Most of my co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the manager and remebering all the little details that needed attending during the shift. The most enjoyable part were the people and the customers.
It's an all-around work that will enhance your capabilities/skills.
Food Service Counter Attendant (Former Employee), Slave Lake, ABJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: free pops and slush
Cons: too tiring shift...
It's a 24-hours store operation. I worked at the till and usually afternoon shift. Sometimes I worked morning, evening or even in the kitchen if they're short of staff.

I learned how to be independent and on-stop decision making mostly when supervisor or manager is not in.

Management is good, we have designated task everyday so that everyone could contribute to the store cleanliness and organized.

There's no hard part of the job, it's just like you should love what your doing. Oh i remember, lifting is one of the hardest thing among girl staff because they have to carry or lift like a cases of pop for shelvings.

the most enjoyable part of the job is that we can communicate with the customers. have fun dealing with them and making a happy community.
Poor management makes for poor culture
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Unfortunatly, some locations have poor managers who are careless and are still living in the old way of thinking. Let the employees suffer with little to no time off of work and dont allow certain employees have benefits after the required 6 months. The staff who have consumed unpaid products were allowed to get away with it while the newest employees suffered the consequences of being blamed for the theft when they had no involvement in it.

After my first six months, the manager took another 2 months to give me my benifets package and took awhile to send it in. Once done it wasnt effective for another couple of weeks.

Upon me being let go, the manager decided to wait an entire month to give me my vacation pay, which was against company standerds that pay period and vacation pay simply cannot take more than 14 days.
Its good to be part of 7-Eleven
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: very good learning experience
Cons: you hardly get time to take break and have your food.
My typical day was when i had given new lady to help me, she hardly know English and was not good with cash handling. So i took a lead and watch her transaction also and also have to keep eye on Gas pumps and rest of the store. I taught her and made her comfortable with the job duties, here i find Leadership quality in me.
Co-workers are very friendly and we have great fun while working. My hardest part of the job is doing night shifts as i am the only guy working and whole store is on me, so i have to take care of everything going around the store. The most enjoyable part of my job is to chat with customers. I like to talk with them and try to build social relations so they give maximum business to our store.
fast -paced environment with lots of fun and lots of work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2014
our everyday routine at 7-Eleven were to clean the store, do the restocking of the shelves, arranging the displays, doing inventory check, attending to the costumers in need, tending the register. I learned a lot of stuffs there, especially the use of the register. we always work on a 2 man cell. it was just me and the shift captain. the captain taught me many things about the graveyard shift, cautions and the like. the hardest part of the job is being unable to do anything about the shoplifters but being aware of what they took, and list it down. its a company policy to not to try and catch them. the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different kinds of people, the short talks we have actually makes us learn about a lot of stuffs.
OVERALL 7-ELEVEN IS A FAIR COMPANY THAT SEES QUALITY EMPLOYEE AND BE REWARDED
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), 16 AVE NE CALGARY, ABJuly 29, 2015
Pros: EVERY 6 MONTHS PERFORMANCE REVIEW/DENTAL AND MEDICAL BENIFITS
Cons: NO FREE MEAL
SEEING OVERALL OPERATIONS OF THE STORE. DEALING WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUSTOMER. SUPERVISING STAFF. ENSURING SAFETY IS ON PLACE. ORDERING ITEMS. CHECKING AND COMMUNICATING GOALS. MAKE PLAN ON HOW IT WILL BE MET.
WITH MY MANAGER, SHE IS SUPPORTIVE AND A GOOD TEACHER, WHICH IS WHAT I APPLY WITH MY CO WORKERS. NEVER STOP TRAINING THEM.
I ENJOY THE JOB BECAUSE OF NEW LEARNING IN MY CAREER. IT IS DIFFERENT FROM FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. AS HERE I HAVE LEARNED TO ORDER CONFECTIONERY AND STILL PERFECTING IT. NOT TOO HIGH AND NOT TOO LOW IN STOCKS.
HARDEST PART IS THERE ARE CUSTOMERS THAT STEALS ITEM AND MUST DEAL OR CONFRONT THEM.
Enjoyed working with the public
Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee), Powell River B.CMarch 29, 2014
Pros: the fun interactions with customers.always left with a smile.
Cons: drunk customers and being promised day shifts for 3 yrs.
Baking muffins in morning for morning shift.Keeping 8 coffee pots fresh for customers.Pulling out pastries for days sales.Making anywhere from 25 to 70 different types of sub sandwiches in 3 hours.Also wraps and salads as needed.Cleaning off all cooking equipment using 3 step method.Ordering of store products including tobacco and tobacco products.Operation of gas bar,lotto, credit card and phone card machines.Up selling of hot food for sale.And helping customers with any of their questions.Doing sale predictions for any of the hot foods sold and order accordingly for up coming events.
A good place to work enabling maintain work and life balance
part time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2013
Working as a Sales agent at the Canada postal outlet, handling moneygram, parcel pick-ups and arrangements,mailing and shipping mails and parcels, providing money order services, record maintenance, and also working as Cashier at the store side helping serve customers needs and providing them quick service.
Learnt the convenience store culture and dealing in with the kind of customers it has. New POS system operation, a bit about inventory management and lots from the post office.
Co-workers are quite co-operative and friendly.
Never experienced any harder side of the job so far.
Most enjoyable part of the job is that its light and easy going so far and customer interation.
many opportunities to learn multi-mini businesses and operations management
senior sales associate (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCDecember 12, 2012
Pros: learning many skills from food safety to lotto skills to inventory management skills
Cons: long hours; watch shoplifting video; report the many shoplifting incidents, that happen almost every day
many tasks ranging from customer service to cleanliness to food preparation to ordering to sales trends develops one's abilities to multi-task more efficiently and thus have a more successful business ... many skills from operating the lottery terminal to restocking cooler properly to repeat customers are the more enjoyable parts of the job while the hardest part of the job is completing all the tasks in a timely satisfactorally manner within a shift ...
Amazing work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 20, 2013
Pros: wonderful customers.
Cons: not so nice customers.
A typical day at work is busy. I like to always be doing something but sometimes I do stuff to quick and have nothing to do by the end. I learned that well working in customer service is you need to be understanding and helpful, but you also need to be firm and you need to find a balance between. I know that my management is my management and you do what they say you like it with a smile on your face and you do not ask questions. I like to build a friendship with my co-workers yet realize that business is business. The hardest part of my job is dealing with customers who are not always the happiest. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting up and seeing customers and getting to know them.
Awesome place to work for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 20, 2013
Pros: great staff
Cons: weird hour fluctuations
This job personally i did enjoy, i loved that you would meet so many different people and learn a lot from them. When it came down to it management was alright. I formed a lot of long lasting friendships with my co-works from the store. The hardest part about the job was running back and forth from the gas to stalking since you basically were by yourself. I also had a hard time adjusting to the schedule fluctuating ex. 3:00pm till 11:00pm then 7:00am till 3:00pm every other day.The job its self was enjoyable not so much the work but the customers and the co workers. Also i loved that for my first job it tough me everything from food service to managing the back stalk.
Industry