7-Eleven Employee Reviews

Good job for someone with zero experience/ student job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 7, 2016
A very good company for someone who does not have work experience or part time for students. But for graduates, I don't think so, because at one point career gets stagnated.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
too much work compared to compensation
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 4, 2016
Great place to work, and lots of room for advancement. Fun working environment! lots of overtime if short staff. lots of friendly people.
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
lots of turnover
It is a good place to work in, good friendly colleagues to work with, and my manager is a really good person.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2016
To be honest, 7-Eleven is good place to work in. I get to meet new people every few seconds and get to interact with them. Co-workers are really helpful and the manager is great and understanding. The hardest part of the job is that, there is no break between the 8 hours shift. An allocated break of 30 minutes would be really helpful and refreshing. It would be really hard to write everything I have learned here, some points would be, handling the till while making sure all the coffees are good and every thing is clean and tidy.Most enjoyable part of the job would be learning new things every single day and meeting random new people and being a part of their lives.
Pros
Good management
Cons
No Allocated break within the 8 hours shift
Very decent place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBAugust 27, 2016
Decent at the start, but slowly turned worse. Started with good hours, but then was dropped; and forced to work nights mostly alone whilst robberies were becoming more common. I loved working when i started, but slowly turned away from it due to physical and emotional problems, and added stress of not fulfilling a decent salary quota for my living. Typical days where to get to work an hour early, help previous shift clean up and prep for my shift, count tills before starting, punch in, serve customers, clean after bad customers, get berated by drunks and rude customers, fear that at any moment i'd get robbed, find out that there were shoplifters, clean, prep food, clean, be bored, and find opened food and drink hidden away in cooler.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, friendly taxi drivers as customers.
Cons
Drunks, Unsafe, Felt unwanted as an employee, Eating expired food is theft and grounds for forced leave.
OVERALL 7-ELEVEN IS A FAIR COMPANY THAT SEES QUALITY EMPLOYEE AND BE REWARDED
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  16 AVE NE CALGARY, ABJuly 29, 2015
SEEING OVERALL OPERATIONS OF THE STORE. DEALING WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUSTOMER. SUPERVISING STAFF. ENSURING SAFETY IS ON PLACE. ORDERING ITEMS. CHECKING AND COMMUNICATING GOALS. MAKE PLAN ON HOW IT WILL BE MET.
WITH MY MANAGER, SHE IS SUPPORTIVE AND A GOOD TEACHER, WHICH IS WHAT I APPLY WITH MY CO WORKERS. NEVER STOP TRAINING THEM.
I ENJOY THE JOB BECAUSE OF NEW LEARNING IN MY CAREER. IT IS DIFFERENT FROM FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. AS HERE I HAVE LEARNED TO ORDER CONFECTIONERY AND STILL PERFECTING IT. NOT TOO HIGH AND NOT TOO LOW IN STOCKS.
HARDEST PART IS THERE ARE CUSTOMERS THAT STEALS ITEM AND MUST DEAL OR CONFRONT THEM.
Pros
EVERY 6 MONTHS PERFORMANCE REVIEW/DENTAL AND MEDICAL BENIFITS
Cons
NO FREE MEAL
Good and bad
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJune 21, 2016
Seven Elevens biggest problem is retaining workers, especially managers. The store I worked in never had a settled manager and a few of the managers they did have weren't that great. It's a stressful job, they require a lot of you as an employee you are a cook, a sales person, a cashier, a cleaner, a stock boy, a book keeper, your security, your loss prevention, a merchinsider and last of all a customer service specialist. They were notorious for dusting things under the rug. However if you got in at the right store, with the right management all of what I stated above was worth it because of the team you worked with. If you wanted to move up and take on more responsibilities they'd let you. The pay was awful (for all you were expected to do), yearly reviews offered me cents increases and they always justified even if you performed better then the previous year.
Sl
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 30, 2016
I worked with 7-11 for 9 years a store manager and I quit last month because its a night mare to work for them lots of demands and even if you work 12 hours per day is not enough, no appreciation and even thank you for a good job.

when I asked why am not getting mu bonus the answer was there is a glitch in the system.

every one I worked with they feel bad and are looking for another job.

and every time they feel you are about to quit they will feed me the same old song for nine ( we will franchise our stores just wait until next year).

if you can find another job, do not work for this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, lots to do, high turn over, demanding, once they know you need them, they will take advantage of you
A great place to learn customer service
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2016
It is a place to be creative to create friendships. And the opportunity for advancement. IT IS A PLACE OF HARD WORK, FAST PACED AND THERE WILL BE NO CHANCE FOR A COFFEE OR LUNCH BREAK
The manager is the person you have to admire they have had to work hard for the position and can show a great deal of stress. A person will do well if you do what you are told if not it will turn your experience to a living h***.
The chance to change store location can be a change for the better but they may ware you out before it is worth it.

It is an industry with a high STAFF turnover.

Like any workplace there is time and enjoyment of gossip and bulling. If its not your thing stay away from it and you'll be a great co-worker.
Pros
YOUR PAY CHECK IS DEPOSITED DIRECTLY TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT
Cons
DO NOT EXPECT PAY INCREASES TO BE OFTEN OR WORTH YOUR WHILE
Customer service
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work included customer service, ordering ,inventory, cashier, vendor deliveries, cash handling, banking, payroll, inventory management
Operated and in charge of store in managers absence
I had a great working relationship with fellow co workers and manager I always lead by example
The hardest part of the job was work life balance
bigger origination
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
7 eleven is great company to work has plenty of benefits for employees.
in this origination co worker are helping with each other
some time helping each other by changing shifts
An okay company for the store employee but not the office
Accounting Liaison Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 23, 2016
Daily office deposit, invoice reconciliation, collection calls or emails to vendors. Monthly duties, trial balances, budgets.

Overall the company was great to work for, most of our positions have been moved to the United States and we were not offered the opportunity to move with them.

Office staff worked as a team to make a successful work experience

The hardest part of my job was being the only person in Canada to do the accounts receivable with no back up. Stressful at month end to ensure you meet deadlines
Pros
Great co workers
Dynamic Workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONMarch 8, 2016
Dealt with staffing issues such as interviewing potential staff, conducting appraisals and performance reviews, providing or organising training and development, as well as resolving health and safety, legal and security issues

Ensured a high level of standards for quality, customer service through motivating staff, providing a positive working environment and setting standards and modeled behavior

Managed stock levels, made key decisions about stock control, organized, executed and managed marketing and merchandising programs including special promotions, displays and events

Analyzed and interpreted sales figures and trends, and forecasted future sales

Ensured that all sales targets and goals were met and/or exceeded on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis

Ensured the interior and exterior of the store was maintained to company standards

Resolved customer problems or complaints by determining optimal solutions
I knew what I was doing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BCOctober 16, 2015
Everyday was pretty much the same routine. I would go into work, sign into the till to clock in. I would then help if there were a maximum of 4 customers in the other line. If there was no rush, I would be refilling fresh coffee, stocking shelves, and making food, for the grills, and food case. I learned the fundamentals of upselling here, and I was very good at it. We would also get assigned tasks on a task sheet which was difficult to get all done if the day was super busy. Management was alright. It wasn't so much the actual manager that didn't know how to manage it was the field consultant the higher up boss who made things difficult. The hardest part about this job was how understaffed we were for the 2 and a half years that I was there. There could only be 2 people on shift, but it was one of the busiest gas stations in Canada since it is the only gas station in a town of 5000 people. with people coming in and out at every minute of every hour it was hard to get tasks done. Sometimes if you weren't fast enough in a rush you would get yelled, or cursed at. I now know how to deal with flustered people in a professional matter. The most thing I enjoyed about this job was probably my co-workers. I was there for 2 and a half years and I knew what I was doing which made it a lot more fun for me since I was a senior staff member.
Pros
Part-time dental, reliable job
Cons
Long hours, Full time hours with part time benefits, Terrible Salary
Good Place Of work Lacks Good Managment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJuly 12, 2016
was a great place too work i enjoyed working and getting to know the customers but management skills was lacking in skills for the employees they did not help when needed and never had a stable schedule always had to check once too twice a day
they where never on time and kept paychecks for final pay never received and the pay rate does not seem fair you do more work then what your paid to doo and safety in the workplace was never in question unsafe work conditions
Pros
Free Slurpees
Cons
Not Enough time for Breaks
Productive and fun work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 15, 2016
I worked all 3 shifts. The morning, evening, and nights. I most enjoyed all the fast paced environment have yourself busy until the shift ends. But mostly I worked during the night to supervise cleaning and prepare the store for the next day operation. Hardest part of the job was trading time for money, rude and intoxicated customers and the thought of robbery anytime.

A typical day at work was, I came into work, clocked in, counted my cash, and started the shift. Made sure food was properly up to code, and threw out and wrote off any food items that were not good anymore. Help serve customers in an efficient and friendly way. Counting merchandise before the next shift goes on. Writing and recording temperature logs in many of the machines you use. Make CDC, Wallace and Carey order. Prep Cooking. Cleaning the store when you get free time. Co-workers were always enjoyable, being friendly was never an issue for myself in the job.
Pros
Overtime Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Enjoyable while working with Customers & Staff members
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 10, 2016
Over the coarse of 14 months, I did trade my ``time over money``,
I worked all 3 shifts. The morning, evening, and dreadful nights. I most enjoyed all the fast paced enviroment, it had myself busy to finsih shift work.
There was career advancement if one wished to advance. Training was helpful.
Hardest part of the job was trading time for money, rude and intoxicated customers. Few robberys were scary.
A typical day at work was, help serve customers, lotto max and lotta 649 every wednesday. thursdays, and saturdays. Counting merchandise before the next shift goes on. Writing and recording temperature logs in many of the machines you use. Prep Cooking. Cleaning the store when you get free time.
Coworkers were always enjoyable, being friendly was never an issue for myself in the job. Management was friendly too.
Pros
Free Drinks, iced coffe, coffee, slurpee. Friendly customers
Cons
Never ending cleaning, Intoxicated indiviuals
Low moral and non productive work from employees
Senior Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 26, 2016
Although I started out loving my job because it was such a huge change from working in an office, I found that as time passed employees weren't held accountable for the huge mistakes that were being made both in product and especially in customer service. I am the type of person who likes to be able to solve a problem ASAP so that the customers are satisfied and my hands are basically tied at this establishment. There are no rewards for a job well done and management plays favorites and rewards only those that their parents have worked with them at some point in time. It has become a very hard work environment to be happy with my job.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Busy workplace
Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCNovember 20, 2015
It's always busy. I learned how to deal with different kinds of customers. Some of my co-workers are great but some are lazy. Hardest part is when you deal with fuzzy customer.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lazy co-workers
Demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABJuly 19, 2016
Not enough money for what the company expects. You are on call 24/7. You need to be every where at once. Deal with customers and not all are sober. Upper management does not understand the day to day stress of the job. No firm company protocol the FC and Market Managers seem to make things up as they go along and you get to many different answers for the same question. No one seems to want to make a decision.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance in fact yu are expected to give up your life and family for the store
7 Eleven Market Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MbOctober 22, 2015
This position was great full time hours, good pay and day shift. Great position to start wanting to work in an office field position. Benefits, life insurance. Working in a professional field, I really enjoyed this position, unfortunately it was a temporary position.