7-Eleven Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good job for someone with zero experience/ student job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), British ColumbiaMarch 7, 2016
Pros: free coffee
Cons: too much work compared to compensation
A very good company for someone who does not have work experience or part time for students. But for graduates, I don't think so, because at one point career gets stagnated.
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Regina, SKFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: great benefits!
Cons: lots of turnover
Great place to work, and lots of room for advancement. Fun working environment! lots of overtime if short staff. lots of friendly people.
OVERALL 7-ELEVEN IS A FAIR COMPANY THAT SEES QUALITY EMPLOYEE AND BE REWARDED
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), 16 AVE NE CALGARY, ABJuly 29, 2015
Pros: EVERY 6 MONTHS PERFORMANCE REVIEW/DENTAL AND MEDICAL BENIFITS
Cons: NO FREE MEAL
SEEING OVERALL OPERATIONS OF THE STORE. DEALING WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUSTOMER. SUPERVISING STAFF. ENSURING SAFETY IS ON PLACE. ORDERING ITEMS. CHECKING AND COMMUNICATING GOALS. MAKE PLAN ON HOW IT WILL BE MET.
WITH MY MANAGER, SHE IS SUPPORTIVE AND A GOOD TEACHER, WHICH IS WHAT I APPLY WITH MY CO WORKERS. NEVER STOP TRAINING THEM.
I ENJOY THE JOB BECAUSE OF NEW LEARNING IN MY CAREER. IT IS DIFFERENT FROM FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. AS HERE I HAVE LEARNED TO ORDER CONFECTIONERY AND STILL PERFECTING IT. NOT TOO HIGH AND NOT TOO LOW IN STOCKS.
HARDEST PART IS THERE ARE CUSTOMERS THAT STEALS ITEM AND MUST DEAL OR CONFRONT THEM.
I knew what I was doing
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mackenzie, BCOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Part-time dental, reliable job
Cons: Long hours, Full time hours with part time benefits, Terrible Salary
Everyday was pretty much the same routine. I would go into work, sign into the till to clock in. I would then help if there were a maximum of 4 customers in the other line. If there was no rush, I would be refilling fresh coffee, stocking shelves, and making food, for the grills, and food case. I learned the fundamentals of upselling here, and I was very good at it. We would also get assigned tasks on a task sheet which was difficult to get all done if the day was super busy. Management was alright. It wasn't so much the actual manager that didn't know how to manage it was the field consultant the higher up boss who made things difficult. The hardest part about this job was how understaffed we were for the 2 and a half years that I was there. There could only be 2 people on shift, but it was one of the busiest gas stations in Canada since it is the only gas station in a town of 5000 people. with people coming in and out at every minute of every hour it was hard to get tasks done. Sometimes if you weren't fast enough in a rush you would get yelled, or cursed at. I now know how to deal with flustered people in a professional matter. The most thing I enjoyed about this job was probably my co-workers. I was there for 2 and a half years and I knew what I was doing which made it a lot more fun for me since I was a senior staff member.
bigger origination
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
7 eleven is great company to work has plenty of benefits for employees.
in this origination co worker are helping with each other
some time helping each other by changing shifts
Busy workplace
Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCNovember 20, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Lazy co-workers
It's always busy. I learned how to deal with different kinds of customers. Some of my co-workers are great but some are lazy. Hardest part is when you deal with fuzzy customer.
7 Eleven Market Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MbOctober 22, 2015
This position was great full time hours, good pay and day shift. Great position to start wanting to work in an office field position. Benefits, life insurance. Working in a professional field, I really enjoyed this position, unfortunately it was a temporary position.
Easy place to work; not very fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: Free food (in the form of write-offs), easy job to do, can be fun depending on who you're with.
Cons: Shift work, non-negotiable hours, no pay raises (management), disrespectful head staff.
What do I even say about this place? The term "slave labor" comes to mind when I think about all of the stuff I did as per the managers request, but for no purpose. I was playing the role of managerial god and in the end I was just a puppet. Let me break this down:

I'd go into work for my 2-10, I'd clock in at the back, I'd walk out to droning coworkers who were only happy to see me because I was relieving them of their duties and that was that. I'd stand at the front for the first 20-30 minutes of a shift, ring people through, help them with anything they needed and that was that. From there I'd be changing garbage, sweeping/mopping the floor, changing out coffee, cleaning up spills and messes throughout the workplace, managing merchandise facing, appropriation and overall display (for the sake of making it harder for people to steal without us noticing), restocking and arranging the vault and at the end of the night... dreaded cash out. It was, suffice it to say, an incredibly easy job (if not grueling to do) and it paid enough with the forty-hours a week it was giving me to make ends meet for the time being.

Now while it doesn't sound so bad, here's the part you haven't heard yet: the manager was not a nice fellow, and he was out to get you - all of you. The issue is that our manager was fairly biased in that he didn't like anyone who wasn't Filipino - like him - and so the color of your skin and the nature of your heritage was a big thing. What could you do about it? Nothing. What did it result in? For me, it resulted in absolutely RIDICULOUS messes in the vault; – more... a scattering of plastic, cardboard and things being misplaced, broken or opened. It was unpleasant, it was unfair and it took up the better half of my time in the vault trying to arrange things and restock them as the day would drag on- which would lead to him yelling at me because I took so long in the vault and had to shirk some of my other duties until it was finished... because then, if I didn't finish it he would yell at me for that and I even got written up for it. What do you do when you can't win?

Something I learned at this job, just like the one that came before it, was how to deal with difficult individuals who aren't at all happy to see you, be near you or even speak to you. There's a special kind of ignorance that breeds in people who are miserable, and unfortunately it's just something you have to accept. At the end of the day, I've taken it upon myself to try and make others in the workplace - be it friend, foe or stranger - happier for what and who they are, where they are and why they're doing whatever it is they're doing. It's a skill I've obtained in the time I've had to cope with all of the buzz regarding a myriad different issues wherein someone is a jerk, usually me even if I'm not.

My coworkers were lazy for the most part, uninspired and not totally willing to fulfill their job duties. I can only speak for one whom went above what I even did. She may as well have been the manager, because she dealt with every single little problem, she did payroll, she did item counts, she dealt with customer disputes, she did it ALL. She was the one coworker I enjoyed working with because she was: fun to be around, agreeable, a little obnoxious but in a good way, hardworking and overall made my life easier. She was the type of coworker you could confide in, lean on or depend upon for anything. A truly admirable worker, and I always aspired to do better and be more to the standard which she held for herself.

In the end, I think that about sums up the experience I had there and what I would say in regards to reviewing it. It's not a nice place, it's not great work... but it is easy, even if easy is relative. – less
Poor management makes for poor culture
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Unfortunatly, some locations have poor managers who are careless and are still living in the old way of thinking. Let the employees suffer with little to no time off of work and dont allow certain employees have benefits after the required 6 months. The staff who have consumed unpaid products were allowed to get away with it while the newest employees suffered the consequences of being blamed for the theft when they had no involvement in it.

After my first six months, the manager took another 2 months to give me my benifets package and took awhile to send it in. Once done it wasnt effective for another couple of weeks.

Upon me being let go, the manager decided to wait an entire month to give me my vacation pay, which was against company standerds that pay period and vacation pay simply cannot take more than 14 days.
Customer service
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work included customer service, ordering ,inventory, cashier, vendor deliveries, cash handling, banking, payroll, inventory management
Operated and in charge of store in managers absence
I had a great working relationship with fellow co workers and manager I always lead by example
The hardest part of the job was work life balance
Dynamic Workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), GTA, ONMarch 8, 2016
Dealt with staffing issues such as interviewing potential staff, conducting appraisals and performance reviews, providing or organising training and development, as well as resolving health and safety, legal and security issues

Ensured a high level of standards for quality, customer service through motivating staff, providing a positive working environment and setting standards and modeled behavior

Managed stock levels, made key decisions about stock control, organized, executed and managed marketing and merchandising programs including special promotions, displays and events

Analyzed and interpreted sales figures and trends, and forecasted future sales

Ensured that all sales targets and goals were met and/or exceeded on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis

Ensured the interior and exterior of the store was maintained to company standards

Resolved customer problems or complaints by determining optimal solutions
Low moral and non productive work from employees
Senior Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 26, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: too many to list
Although I started out loving my job because it was such a huge change from working in an office, I found that as time passed employees weren't held accountable for the huge mistakes that were being made both in product and especially in customer service. I am the type of person who likes to be able to solve a problem ASAP so that the customers are satisfied and my hands are basically tied at this establishment. There are no rewards for a job well done and management plays favorites and rewards only those that their parents have worked with them at some point in time. It has become a very hard work environment to be happy with my job.
Productive and Fun while working.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), 530 Dale Blwd, Winnipeg, MBFebruary 17, 2016
It's very good experience with my current employer. It is my first employer at Winnipeg, Canada and I found it very friendly environment around the store while on work. I thought it difficult to adjust with new culture and environment however It was proved me wrong and everything was wonderful at work. All my colleague and my manage are very supportive and in just one and half week since I started work I got all knowledge about how to work. I got support from each of them and always we had lots of fun while working which never make me feel than I am new to Canada or to this company and believe me everything going well and I must say that I am perfect just in one month like all other employee of the store. I learn things faster from staff members and few from my mistake at work. I simply consider lucky to have wonderful staff as well as my knowledge to adopt things faster.
Good job sercurity and guaranteed hours.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Free meals.
Cons: The bus schedule in the winter was very unpredictable.
Each day was comforting to stick to a certain routine and completing before the shift was over.

I learned how to process payroll and learned the ordering process of each section of the store for weekly stocking.

Management were very compliant and helpful when learning new skills and processing new tasks.

My fellow co-workers were mostly helpful when help was required.

The hardest part of the job, was leaving to engage back into school for Academic Upgrading, but that decision was well worth it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging in the seasonal sales display it let me expand my imaginations with each display.
People who strive to have excellent customer service
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Free slurpee's
Cons: Theives
A typical day was meeting and greeting customers with a smile and assist them when asked.
What I learned was everyday is a new day and things can happen at any moment and you just have to roll with the punch's and act calm in bad situations.
My co-workers where great and I love them like family because they where they experienced the same things as I did and can relate to me none of my friends could.
The hardest part about this job was always smiling and saying hello to everyone who came in the door.
I enjoyed meeting new people and assisting them with purchases creating a smile on their faces when they look like they had a bad day.
Grooming of soft and technical skills.
Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee), Winnipeg City, MBMarch 24, 2016
Pros: Health insurance
Cons: Long hours
Its a great and lovely environment there and its been remarkable for me work there i learned and developed many skills .All the co workers are friendly and polite so i have a great time there . Flexible schedule and really a cooperative staff.
Great manager! Fun place to work.
Component Manager (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABMarch 2, 2016
Fast paced business. Lots of support from all levels of management.
No shortage of ongoing training. Lots of room for advancement.
good company with high expectations
Store Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: great benefiets
Cons: 24 hrs a day for low pay
7 Eleven offered me a great opportunity to advance. I love the customer base and the good products offered. This was a great Job for me but it is now taking over my life as it is a 24/7 company so my home work life is very unbalanced.
Cashier (Current Employee), Port Colborne, ONApril 14, 2016
I came into work, clocked in, counted my cash, and started the shift. Made sure food was properly up to code, and threw out and wrote off any food items that were not good anymore. Manager would leave a note of side jobs for you to do during your shift and itd be completed by the time your shift comes to an end. At the end of my shift, I count my til off, clean the area surrounding you, and make sure all food is up to date before you were to leave your shift.
Nice work environment, enjoyable time with a bit stress sometimes once the store gets busy during the peck hours and there are no enough worker
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Free coffee
Cons: short brakes
I like working in 7-Elevn. It was enjoyable time I spent there. I would li work in 7 Elevn again if i get a chance but not in the same previous store.
I learned a few working steps that are basic and simple to anyone to learn.
Managment level I believe is weak.
co-worker mostly were good except a few people that un-qualify due to the lack of respectful knowledge on working filed.

Hardest part was dealing with drunk customers at night shift and cleaning the mass after some of them.
The most enjoyable part was dealing with smiley faces

Overall it was fun and good experience.
Headquarters