3M

3M Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place for sales professionals eager to excel.
NATIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 2, 2014
Great place for sales professionals eager to excel. Superb product lineup makes it a proud environment to work within.
Good company with great pay for permanent employees
Data Analyst (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 20, 2014
It is great company with great pay. Excellent for permanent employees with regard to work challenge and benefits. Not so great if you are not in your own field.
Not a good place to work
former temp (Former Employee), Brockville, ONOctober 30, 2014
Pros: co-workers are very supportive
Cons: management sucks
I worked as a temp for 3 months in the tape plant. I got along great with the other employees except for the person training me. Management was very poor. My supervisor never called me by my name. It was always either sweetie or hun. The person who trained me, clearly didn't want to train anyone and was not a team player. I found myself just learning – more... by watching and if I asked a question, I would be told to do as he says. He was also a temp who has been there for 2 years and all the temps he has previously trained had been hired full-time so I assume he was bitter about that and didn't want to train anymore. When I spoke to my supervisor about the situation, I was told he would talk to him about it. 2 days later, I mentioned it again and he still hadn't spoken to him. The next day, while I was on break, I got a call from the placement agency saying that I wasn't needed anymore...while at work! I went directly to my supervisor's office and he lied to my face saying that I never went to him about the issues I was having with my co-worker.
I wouldn't recommend anyone work there unless you enjoy being treated like snot 12 hours a day for $14 an hour!!!! – less
Great experience
Advanced Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), London, ONApril 25, 2014
At 3M Canada I was brought on board to support EDI. With no experience, I learned the process then became the primary support to move EDI into the new ERP (SAP).
Great multicultural company
Marketing intern (Former Employee), Santiago de Chile, RMAugust 21, 2013
By comparing 3M sales and portfolio to its competitors I was able to present new product strategies which resulted to be very successful. I also worked on estimating sales potential of certain products and building marketing materials around them.
Productive Plant, assisted with the grand opening of 3M
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), 2751 Peddie Road, Milton, OnJuly 31, 2013
Pros: very close to home, hired my employees
Cons: extremely long hours, no appreciation, managed by a chicago team that micromanaged
As Operations Supervisor I was in charge of all shipping lanes. This included picking, and packaging product, working with inventory levels, handling dry ice materials and oversee 35 employees.
Typical day started at 6:00 am and I started by
looking over the days orders, check dock with staged product, checked orders of shipped freight from previous – more... night, checked for error orders, check inventory levels, ran daily meeting, reviewed the agenda for the day, and advised what areas needed special attention, handle workers and conflicts, walk the floor, see who needs help, daily go and see each worker, get feedback, check orders hourly to meet shipping deadlines, process workers hours from the previous day, manage breaks, reported any mechanical breakdowns, ordered pallets

The hardest part of the job was the very long hours and lack of support from HO. – less
Average factory work
Line Operator (Former Employee), Brockville, ONDecember 22, 2012
Pros: 12 hour shifts
Cons: 12 hour shifts
It was easy but too repetitive. We would only shift down the line every 2 hours after a 10 minute break. Their wouldn't be any lunch breaks as well. The other workers were average, it was high school all over again.
3M
Production Assistant (Former Employee), brockvilleSeptember 22, 2012
Pros: everything
This company was the BESt. Nothing bad can be said. Everyone was great. Job was fast paced and a lot of lifting, but awesome.
not bad for a factory
Assistant Operator and Ergo Rep (Former Employee), Morden, MBSeptember 21, 2012
with out good education advancement is very limited. work is very repetitive. if you get a 3m position the and it can take many years to get 1 the benefits are good. no raises in pay except possibly close to cost of living increase
Contract work there for years and never be treated like a real employee.
IT, DDS QA (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNDecember 19, 2014
3M -Hires many contract workers but they rarely hire them permanently. They hire lots of contract workers so their books ("buckets") look better. As a contract worker, you will almost never be invited to company meetings, employee picnics, etc. This only creates an unfair work environments and the bad overall moral in the company. It's like someone – more... in a meeting said one day "Hey, I got a great way to save money and maximize stockholders earnings, let's hire a bunch of high quality people at low wages through a temporary service company, make them think they are low rank employee material and then keep them here for years dangling a carrot above them making them think they will actually become a 3M employee some day". I am just saying.....

Your benefits are dependent on the contracting firm you work for, and most of the time the benefits are minimal - all for the sake of 3M stockholders/permanent employee benefits. You can't save for retirement working under these minimizing conditions, so it leaves little to be desired career wise. I quit 3M.

When they need a new person to fill a position, they will most likely pull from within the 3M employee network of people looking for work instead of looking outside - don't be fooled by the job postings because you can be sure most of these positions will be filled internally. My suggestion is don't bother even applying at this place. I worked there for 7 years on several different occasions, applied for many positions over the years, and never got a job there. Others there would tell you the same. Look for a real career elsewhere because there's little opportunity with this company.

3M company abused me by hiring me and letting me go 5 weeks into a project that got cancelled. I never got paid a dime for the 1 1/2 year project I was to be there working on in the Drug Delivery division. A decent company would have paid me something to compensate for the lost anticipated wages due to lay off and a company that was actually "with it" wouldn't have hired a person only to find out 5 weeks later they didn't need them in the first place. I ended up working on a dead end job elsewhere in the company with less pay just to make ends meet.

Signed, High Quality worker, 2 retired 3M employee parents, single mother, and college graduate with science background. – less
Great company to work for. Two family members at there at my suggestions.
Business Communications Supervisor (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 17, 2014
Pros: time off as needed
Couldn't ask for a better company to work for. 3M helped me raise my family in a positive, productive manner. Lots of friends made at 3M. Very progressive company that takes care of their employees.
I went to training classes and on duty with a official police officer a required 30 hours a month.
Gold Plater Production (Former Employee), Columbia, MODecember 16, 2014
Pros: great experiance of a life time.
Cons: it opened my eyes about the things people try to get away with.
I did everything a regular officer did except no pay.

I learned a lot about the LAWS and about people. All officers were very respectable and professional.

Juggling my college classes, working full time and being a mom.
Low pay comparative to work
Coating Machine Helper (Former Employee), Medina, OhioDecember 15, 2014
I never really had a set schedule and was always called in or told last minute about over time. It seemed the organization wasnt run very well by the management. My co-workers were great and i got along well with almost all of them. I feel I was underpaid for the amount of work I did and I was there through a temp agency and was told i would be offered – more... full employment through the company but it never happened. The job was very physically demanding at times which isnt a problem, and at times was very boring and didnt challenge me mentally. The best part of the job was the people I worked closely with. – less
Great company and experience
Account Executive (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNDecember 11, 2014
My time with 3M was extremely valuable as it relates to many levels with in marketing, sales, manufacturing, and development. I benefited from a long, yet meaningful sales trainging experience that had lasted almost one full year. The training comprised of product knowledge, sales strategy, six sigma, business planning, time management, corporate policy, – more... budgeting, marketing, industry, distribution, channel development, technical support, and sales engineering. 3M is a worlwide fortune 500 company that has an incredible branding strategy. The company employes over 80,000 people that are held to high values and standards. Due to the economic atmosphere of 2009, the company had instigated over 450 mandatory job eliminations with in my division. Though I was offereed a new role, I was not in a position to relocate. The co- workers were some of the most impressive and amazing people I have had the pleasure of working with. – less
Great Place to work
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee), IADecember 9, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: breaks 2- ten minute and 20 minute lunch.
Go to work on time and know what area your in so you can do your best . You learn alot about sandpaper on how to covert it with all the machines they have at the plant. Hardest part of the job is not know ing all the steps to get the job done. Co-workers are a big part of wanting to be there working. Helping out when needed. The most enjoyable of the – more... job was knowing that I did the best I could to get good product. – less
3M was a great place to work
coater operator and forklift operator (Former Employee), cynthiana ky 41031December 9, 2014
At 3M a typical day at work was working hard making sure that we got the products out on time. We had very good management there to make sure everything was working good and that everyone was safe. The coworkers was hard workers. The hardest was the swing shift.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people.
Employees are the best people. Management for the most part are good people also. Very caring atmosphere
Key Account Manager (Former Employee), Austin TexasDecember 8, 2014
Pros: great place to work. you feel part of a team.
Cons: management is slow to make decisions and is risk adverse. upward mobility is very slow.
A typical work day would be calling on accounts, setting up training sessions or table top promotions. Providing technical support for customers. Working with marketing communications on materials or with product manufacturing.

Almost all 3M employees are nice people and hard workers. It was fun to go to work.

The hardest part of the job was dealing – more... with the slow decision making. It was management by consensus sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job with the interaction with the co workers. very easy going. – less
Good company to start a career
Process Specialist SMP Laser Converting (Current Employee), Hutchinson, MNDecember 5, 2014
Shift work can be difficult to adjust to however depending on your goals can also be a great company to move up with.
I enjoyed working at 3M
Converting Operator (Former Employee), Chelmsford, MADecember 5, 2014
Pros: very friendly
Cons: i was a temp.
I enjoyed working at 3M, but I was a contract worker which don't prefer. But overall enjoyed my time there, good people and bosses.
fun workplace
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Pittsboro, NCNovember 24, 2014
Work very well with others. 5S and other housekeeping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 2 3 4 5

About 3M

At 3M, we pair imaginative thinking with science-based technology to create globally-renowned products. We lead scores of markets: – Read more