1-800-GOT-JUNK? Employee Reviews

Show up, have fun, book jobs, handle complaints, go home.
Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
It's a tough transition from when you originally begin because you have to learn the business of junk removal and deal with customers' needs. The services aren't always affordable but they are ALWAYS worth it.

Really all you have to do is show up and try your best. If you are successful you get rewarded, if you struggle, we coach you until you get better!

You work with good people who actually WANT you succeed. You show up, book appointments and actually HELP people.

A lot of the bad reviews are from MALCONTENTS who already have terrible work histories and expect everything to come to them without effort. IN the early stages we hired "just anybody" but
Pros
Free Can of Beer every other Friday, Weekly pizza lunches, raises every year on your anniversary.
Cons
Mal-content bratty coworkers, the occasional late shift, we could get paid a little better.
Horrible management
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2016
This franchise has a very high turnover rate because of the management. It has been very poorly managed for a long time and if it weren't for the fact that it is a global company with lots of public awareness, it would have been run into the ground a long time ago. It is a very expensive service and management refuses to see that raises their rates in the middle of an economic collapse will result in lost revenue and job conversion rates. Instead they blame their employees for not putting out enough "doorhanger" coupons. I wouldn't work here if I didn't absolutely have to.
Pros
4 day work week, finding cool stuff to keep, customers are generally very friendly and apprecaitive
Cons
no set end times to your days, people call in sick all the time and leave the rest of the team to pick up the mess
Great entry into sales, or to climb the ladder
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
Overall a great place to work and from all accounts far better than a normal call centre job.

Pay seems about average ($13/hr for 3 month probation, $16.50 after that with annual increases or premiums for speciality skills), benefits are pretty good (dental, prescription, travel insurance, massage, physio, optical, etc).

Very mixed working environment with people from all walks of life, old and young, from around Canada and overseas.

Hardest part of the job is that it's shift work but so are nearly all call centre jobs.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the parties. When xmas rolls around the party season starts (holiday party, revenue party, global conference and more).
Pros
Benefits, "first round Friday", people are great, management focuses heavily on employee engagement, plenty of opportunity to climb the ranks to different parts of the company, full time, personal development courses are offered
Cons
Shift work, lame pranks
Fantastic
inbound agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BC3 December 2016
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Now a typical day at work includes taking phone calls speaking to all sorts of Clients from everywhere building relationships with them. Working in a team environment, building relationships with your team, asking anyone for help and they(management, senior staff) are always around to help. Super fun here. I find myself always laughing with my team and my clients and our team from all over. 98% of my co-workers are amazing people. Yes you do deal with complaints from clients but not to the degree where it stresses you out like in most jobs. Sometimes things happen it happen every where not just here at this business. Trust me I have had TONS of jobs and this one is by far the best one i have had yet. No complaints about having to go to work in fact i look forward to it. You get prizes, play games and get incentives on top of the great pay and benefits!! THE ONE BIG thing that I would change is the changing of the schedules it would be nice to just have something set! other then that I tell everyone it's an awesome place to work
Pros
free fruit, food when we are super busy, excellent atmosphere
Cons
don't have your own desk :(
Energetic and enjoyable working atmosphere
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2017
The work place is somewhere I enjoying coming to on a daily basis. All my co-workers are great individuals and enjoying working with them. The job is a labour job, with an element of sales. I really like the opportunity to talk to clients. Work gets slow in the winter, however the summer months are always busy and the hours are plentiful.

This is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door to get beginning sales experience.
Pros
Free lunch hours
Cons
no existing benefits
Good Work Culture, But It's Shift Work
Inbound Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2016
The management is supportive and will coach you as long are you're willing to learn.

It's 24-hour call centre, so the shifts & scheduling can be hard- makes your personal life a bit difficult to arrange.

The team captains will run games to motivate engagement in the Sales Centre. Also, there are monthly incentives available based on conversion.

Good work environment, it's a pretty fun place.
Pros
supportive management, coaching, engaging work culture
Cons
shift work, work-life balance
Official response from 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
January 24, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are glad to hear you think the sales center is a fun place to work :)

Great place to work, great social environment, amazing team events, good incentives/prizes
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
I have been a sales agent for about 2 years. It really is a great place to work, the incentives are good, and they offer great big prizes as incentives every now and then. There are always quarterly outings with the office as well as bigger events like the holiday party and an annual revenue party. Management is very fair, if you show up, perform well and are open to coaching and development you can have a very successful career with lots of opportunity for growth as they will always promote from within.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, management, team building, personal/professional development
Cons
Hours of operation.
Official response from 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
December 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience! We do highly encourage personal and professional development and hope our team members can grow with us. We hope you continue to grow your career with us!

Eh
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  112 Merton St3 May 2016
When you first start working for the company they will try to brainwash you that they are the best. They're not! Completely overrated, even though it's supposed to be inbound you still have to make sales. Company Truck Drivers are always late or don't show up to clients and your left to handle angry clients on the phone everyday. Benefits are ok, great dental. If you are visible minority watch your back. Pay starts at 13 then if you make it through 3 month probation 15.50. Some TEAM LEAD are complete idiots on a high and power trip. They will continuously tried to beat you down or speak to you in a condescending tone. Don't defend yourself. Manager looks like he's on steroids & uses it to try & intimidate people. My best advice is keep it low and don't make any "friends"
Pros
Mostly inbound but your still required to push sales calls and they keep track of yours sales
Cons
The place is a cesspool! They all sleep with each other & then continuously gossip about it at work
Truck Team Member (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA31 January 2017
I am finishing up my third month with the company and it has been great. I can't stand being stuck in an office all day but with this job, I am on the road all day driving to meet new people every day. It's like a treasure hunt, you never know what you will come across each day. Yes some jobs are gross but other jobs have some cool and interesting stuff.
Pros
Keep active, fresh air, management, pay, tips
Great Place to Develop
Local Commercial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
I started in the sales center for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? Taking inbound calls and eventually moving to the B2B team. Although this job was challenging , after one year, I then transition to a corporate role which has developed my skill set immensely.

The company offers tools to advance for everyone. The leaders are strong and educated in their craft. The office is open and social but hard working. We move fast but its because we are innovative and hungry to be better.

Every boss I have had here has helped me be a better person all in all. They make sure to understand where you want to go career wise and set steps for you to get there.

The most enjoyable part of my job is consistently being challenged.

Thank you o2e brands for providing me with these opportunities.
Glorified garbage man
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Montreal-ouest, QC6 October 2016
Long days of 12 hours. Overwork and get underpaid.
Pay is $11 and, if you're lucky, the manager will make your route profitable where you're at about 15$.
Accept orders from very poor quality management. Keep junk and have some fun if you're lucky.

Overall fun place to work if the scheduling wasn't done by a braindead drunkard who plays on tinder instead of working.
Pros
Free junk
Cons
Long hours, management and dirty
Best place you never heard of...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Englishtown, NJ13 December 2016
Great place to work. Jobs vary by day. Pay is fair and bonus potential is great. It has a great support structure and a very team based culture. Everyone works hard, but we all have fun!
Pros
Not your everyday job, travel, tips, bonus, parties
Cons
Can have some long hours from time to time.
Management is incapable of managing
team leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 December 2016
Long hours, horrible management, bad upkeep on trucks which is the drivers problem if they get pulled over by mto. Good tips though, don't expect help from other staff and management
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Overall an amazing company to work for!
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC14 December 2016
I have learned so much working for this company. They treat their employees like family. Great work/life balance and are so flexible with scheduling.

There are so many resources available for coaching and training. They really make sure you are ready before throwing you out there.

Working in the office is a bit more structured than working in the trucks..but I have worked in the trucks as well and know that the "unknown" is a bit frustrating but it's nice not doing the same old thing everyday.

My customer service skills have skyrocketed since working here. It's so nice getting to talk to someone many different people on a daily basis.

Best part of the job is the summer party and Christmas party every year. They really make their employees feel like they are appreciated.

Worst part of the job is there are a few employees (as in every company) that just don't have the drive and it's frustrating dealing with the aftermath that leaves as following up with customers.
Pros
Breakfast program, flexible scheduling, amazing co-workers
Cons
The everyday "unknown", cleaning up after unmotivated workers
I love this place
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 December 2016
I joined 1-800-GOT-JUNK? as a Sales & Marketing Manager for the Toronto Franchise in 2006 and moved to the corporate side (the Junktion) in Jan of 2012. People ask me all the time what I like about this place and why have I stayed for more than a decade. Simple. Growth and opportunity.
Driven by the opportunity to grow while helping others grow personally and professionally. Our culture is off the charts. People care, we work as a team in an open and transparent way. Working with our Franchise Partners is inspiring; they invest and commit to growth in brand awareness, with that comes revenue growth and opportunity to grow the size and quality of our team. There are many examples like myself of employees who have grown in roles and responsibilities enabled by our revenue and brand growth at 1-800-GOT-JUNK? and O2E Brands. People on our team live to wow and play to win.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
I have worked for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? for over 2 years. Its a great place to work. Lots of team building activities, quarterly outings, great party's, a very fun culture. Lots of opportunity for advancement, they promote from within. They believe in investing and developing the people they have. I would highly recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
great people, career advancement
Cons
in can be a bit repetitive.
Strong Culture, Fun and Friendly Place to Work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Silicon Valley3 February 2017
Working for 1800-Got-Junk has been fantastic. You are not just a number on a piece of paper with this company, they take the time to learn and invest in their employees. If you come to work and put you best foot forward everyday, it does not go unnoticed. I started with 1800-Got-Junk over a year ago and in that time I have worked up from a Truck Team Member to one of the Managers of Operations.

There are a lot of freedoms with 1800-Got-Junk, you see your bosses a couple of times a week and other than that you are out in the field meeting new people and making possible life long relationships with other employees or even the clients you are dispatched to service.

The hardest part of this job would simpily be the manual labor aspect, from time to time you will come across a Service that puts your body to the test, Though no matter how hard the job is, you know in an hour or two you will be back in your truck getting a nice break on your way to the next client.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me would be the fact you rarely go to the same places twice, you are seeing fresh faces and environments on a day to day basis. We get to be out in the field enjoying the day in a way you wouldn't be able to in other professions.
Pros
Great work environment, strong culture, daly adventures
Cons
Long hours depending on season, manual labor
Was up Southbay..
Top trucker (Current Employee) –  Southbay5 February 2017
1-800-GOT-JUNK? Has a culture unlike any other. Looking for a free gym membership and get Customer service skills. And enjoy being out side. This is the job for u..If u can't work hard this isn't for u.. Great training.
Pros
Make your own schedule be your own boss.
Cons
Labor intensive
Great work environment, friendly staff!!
Truck Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2017
A typical day of work consists of going to usually about 5 or 6 different locations, you get to meet some very interesting characters and see the inside workings of some pretty big companies. Management is very good at keeping people on schedule and are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of working here i would say is having to leave this job for school. The things i enjoyed most was working with friendly and caring co-workers.
Pros
lots
Work Hard, Play Hard
TTM and Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CA1 February 2017
This job is not for everyone, but it is amazing if you can handle it. The atmosphere and culture are second to none, and you will have fun!

The cons:

Hard work. Manual labor that requires at least some level of fitness.

Long hours. Depending on how busy and what season, the hours can be long.

Dirty. You will get dirty. If you do not like doing laundry, this job is not for you.

The pros:

Culture. The culture is everything for this job. TTMs (Truck Team Members) have tons of fun bonding with fellow TTMs and customers. This job builds real friendships. I am no longer an employee and live 3 times zones away and still talk to my old co-workers. People skills and customer service are very important for team members to possess, thus, everyone is outgoing and fun.

Management. The upper management cares about it's employees and goes to great lengths to make sure employees are safe and happy.

Stress relief. Having a bad day? Stressed out? Smash some junk in a truck and release some endorphins. You will feel better.

Perks. Coffee and snacks were always available at the office to fuel you for the work day. If you need an end table to really tie your living room together, you can and will find a nice one that someone else does not want.

Upward Mobility; If you prove that you are reliable, smart, and a go-getter, you will have the opportunity to move up to positions with more responsibility. This is a true meritocracy.

The bottom line is, if you are willing to work hard and do your job correctly, you will flourish with your Junk family. Look forward to a
  more... fun, interesting atmosphere. You will face new challenges daily and never be bored. If you don't like doing the same, boring thing every day then you will be happy with this job.  less

4.2